MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 268  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:38 pm 
All Star

acerimusdux wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Not sure why this needs restating but Duda did put up back to back 3 win seasons in '14 and '15 and has a career 132 RC+and 236 ISO facing RHed pitching. And he is just entering his age 32 season, so if they can sign him cheaply it's prob very good value, personal animus aside.

I agree, as well.

Duda was injured in 2016, and maybe 2017 was just an off year (.238 BABIP vs. .280 career). If he bounces back and hits over .240 he probably ends up a better overall regular than anyone else currently in our infield.

The problem with the "good value" argument is that with how slow free agency has been this year there will probably be better value's than Duda out there. But I think wanting to bring back Lucas Duda show's exactly what's wrong with this front office. They are terrified to try anything new.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:41 pm 
Rookie

piazzafan wrote:
TomInNC wrote:
pennst92 wrote:
Find myself agreeing with Nitey. Duda's redundant, especially with Bruce here. And he stinks. He'll hit 5 HR's in a week and call it a season. I'd rather they develop Smith in the early season, see if he can stick, and let Bruce play the OF until Conforto returns. Then they can manipulate the roster based upon performance.

Last season he stopped at 30

49 players hit 30 or more home runs last year. It's not as special as people seem to think it is anymore. In fact, stolen bases are becoming rarer than homers at this point.

How many of those guys are available?

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:50 pm 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:
acerimusdux wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Not sure why this needs restating but Duda did put up back to back 3 win seasons in '14 and '15 and has a career 132 RC+and 236 ISO facing RHed pitching. And he is just entering his age 32 season, so if they can sign him cheaply it's prob very good value, personal animus aside.

I agree, as well.

Duda was injured in 2016, and maybe 2017 was just an off year (.238 BABIP vs. .280 career). If he bounces back and hits over .240 he probably ends up a better overall regular than anyone else currently in our infield.

The problem with the "good value" argument is that with how slow free agency has been this year there will probably be better value's than Duda out there. But I think wanting to bring back Lucas Duda show's exactly what's wrong with this front office. They are terrified to try anything new.

I think the mistake by the FO is the Bruce deal bc it downgrades the OF defense at two spots, so I don't really follow what they were thinking there. Seems the only way to justify it was by saying he'd play some 1B, but if they bring Duda back, when is Bruce going to play 1B?

Going to beat this dead horse, but for the Bruce money, they could have had Cozart. Swarzak, Cozart and Duda would have worked well and then maybe add Rajai and a LHRP. That would have fixed a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:56 pm 
All Star

piazzafan wrote:
TomInNC wrote:
pennst92 wrote:

Last season he stopped at 30

49 players hit 30 or more home runs last year. It's not as special as people seem to think it is anymore. In fact, stolen bases are becoming rarer than homers at this point.

How many of those guys are available?

You realize Dominic Smith (you know the guy that showed no power in the minors through out his whole career) was on pace to hit 30 hrs through a full season in the majors in 2017. It doesn't matter how many of those 30 hr guys are available. You have a line up of guys that strike out a ton and the answer is to not bring in another high strike out guy (who has a bad back history) because he can pop 30 hrs. Truth is if the ball remains juiced (or the players remain juiced) you are going to see a lot more marginal guys popping 30 homers. A cash strapped Mets team shouldn't waste 7 million dollars on a player that does one thing really well especially when that one thing is becoming more and more common every year. We are in mid January and the prices on these free agents are going to start dropping. The Mets should be able to get something better than Duda for that 7 million dollars.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:33 pm 
Legend of NYFS

deGrom $7.4M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:33 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
piazzafan wrote:
acerimusdux wrote:

I agree, as well.

I think the mistake by the FO is the Bruce deal bc it downgrades the OF defense at two spots, so I don't really follow what they were thinking there. Seems the only way to justify it was by saying he'd play some 1B, but if they bring Duda back, when is Bruce going to play 1B?

Going to beat this dead horse, but for the Bruce money, they could have had Cozart. Swarzak, Cozart and Duda would have worked well and then maybe add Rajai and a LHRP. That would have fixed a lot.

You really don't know that. Angels offer 3-38 and a shot at playoffs. Mets say "we'll give him 3-42, agent says "are you drunk. The Angels are a very good team". Mets offer 3-46, Agent goes to angels, they bump their offer to 3-43, agent goes back to the mets and are told, tack on a 4th year, or maybe it 3-54 and we'll take you up on it.

Mets call the agent of Jay Bruce.

I can't say that's exactly how it went down, but that's what happens when two teams bid on the same player.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:36 pm 
Rookie

I'm just not stopping myself from a 1B upgrade because of Dom Smith. I can be 100% wrong down the line, I just don't see it. And a ton of these guys who hit 30 HR's aren't available, which was my point. Yes, people are hitting with more power and the ball is juiced, but look at this list on FG and tell me how many of these guys are truly available?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... &page=1_30

I'm not saying Duda is a star or is going to come in and change the Mets, but he's a fine first baseman who can hit for power and get some walks. The 3-6 of Conforto, Cepsedes, Duda, Bruce would be fine. To say Duda stinks is silly, to suggest that Adam Lind is be a perfectly fine replacement is a bit silly to me. *shrug* on Logan Morrison.

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:38 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MetsWhiz93 wrote:
I'm just not stopping myself from a 1B upgrade because of Dom Smith. I can be 100% wrong down the line, I just don't see it. And a ton of these guys who hit 30 HR's aren't available, which was my point. Yes, people are hitting with more power and the ball is juiced, but look at this list on FG and tell me how many of these guys are truly available?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... &page=1_30

I'm not saying Duda is a star or is going to come in and change the Mets, but he's a fine first baseman who can hit for power and get some walks. The 3-6 of Conforto, Cepsedes, Duda, Bruce would be fine. To say Duda stinks is silly, to suggest that Adam Lind is be a perfectly fine replacement is a bit silly to me. *shrug* on Logan Morrison.

LoMo is coming off of a better season than Carlos Santana so I'm not sure he's going to have to take a one year deal (he's not).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:58 pm 
NYFS Staff

LTKfRGM wrote:
Depending on the price I'm happy to bring back Duda on a 1 year deal. His price seems to have dropped with his weak numbers post-trade and injury history last 2 seasons. If Duda costs 1 year 5, I'm down for that.

His price has dropped because nearly no team sees that he is a good risk. If he costs 1 year 5 million, LT, shouldn't we be seeing why? No teams seem to be valuing him at all.

I just don't understand why, if no teams were beating down the door to obtain Duda and Bruce that we are beating down the door to get them back?

There are at least six teams you would think would be on him. There aren't. Neither should we be.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 pm 
Blue Chipper

Duda doesn't "stink" by any reasonable metric, but, yes, if playing Bruce significantly at 1B is in the plans Duda doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 pm 
NYFS Staff

HeyNowHK wrote:
Ralf wrote:
Matt Harvey (5.072) – $5.625M (projected $5.9M)
AJ Ramos (5.030) – $ (projected $9.2M)
Jeurys Familia (5.024) – $7.925M (projected $7.4M)
Zack Wheeler (4.098) – $ (projected $1.9M)
Travis d’Arnaud (4.044) – $3.475M (projected $3.4M)
Wilmer Flores (4.003) – $3.4M (projected $3.7M)
Jacob deGrom (3.139) – $ (projected $9.2M)
Noah Syndergaard (2.149) – $ (projected $1.9M)
Hansel Robles (2.127) – $ (projected $1.0M)

Syndy $2.9M

Whose projections were these? They badly missed on Thor and Jake.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

piazzafan wrote:
acerimusdux wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

I agree, as well.

Eh, in this case I'm not in favor of doing something new for the sake of doing something. Duda on one year, $8 million makes more sense for this club than most of the other first base options, unless you either really believe in Dom Smith or don't believe in him at all.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 268  Next