MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why aren't the Mets a better offensive team?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:51 pm 
Rookie

I keep on thinking of the Mets as a very good offensive team because they've had a lot of guys with good seasons, and yet they're only 8th in the NL in runs scored. It's not some fluke thing since they're also 8th in OPS.

What gives? Is it fair to project them as good offensive team that doesn't need a bat going forward?

Post subject: Re: Why aren't the Mets a better offensive team?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:31 pm 
General Manager

I think after today we will be 1 run behind Phillies and pretty close to the cubs

I can see us moving into 6th by the end of the year in terms of runs scored

Which is very good ... that should really be enough to be a playoff team if the starting pitching stays good going forward and the bullpen improves (hopefully significant improvement from the bullpen)

The Dodgers , Nats and Braves have just better offensive talent up and down the lineup

AZ and Colorado have advantages in the stadium and division they play in

Also ... Cano being a black hole in the middle of the lineup for most of the year didn’t help

Nimmo being hurt most of the year didn’t help ... a lot of at bats given to Lagares / Broxton and Cargo that hurt the offense

A healthy Nimmo next year
Lowrie healthy next year
Get a better and more productive backup catcher

And I think you can go to war with that offensive

Top 10 offense

Maybe top 5

That should be enough if we bring back the same starting 5 and improve the bullpen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:37 pm 
Blue Chipper

The outfield production, specifically CF, was crap for a big chunk of the season. Mickey didn’t help the run production with some of the lineup choices. Also, the lineup is more productive with less Frazier and more Davis.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:47 pm 
Rookie

bygranddesign wrote:
I think after today we will be 1 run behind Phillies and pretty close to the cubs

I can see us moving into 6th by the end of the year in terms of runs scored

Which is very good ... that should really be enough to be a playoff team if the starting pitching stays good going forward and the bullpen improves (hopefully significant improvement from the bullpen)

The Dodgers , Nats and Braves have just better offensive talent up and down the lineup

AZ and Colorado have advantages in the stadium and division they play in

Also ... Cano being a black hole in the middle of the lineup for most of the year didn’t help

Nimmo being hurt most of the year didn’t help ... a lot of at bats given to Lagares / Broxton and Cargo that hurt the offense

A healthy Nimmo next year
Lowrie healthy next year
Get a better and more productive backup catcher

And I think you can go to war with that offensive

Top 10 offense

Maybe top 5

That should be enough if we bring back the same starting 5 and improve the bullpen

6 out of 15 isn't very good. It's not even in the 67th percentile. I agree that OF depth killed the Mets. As did hitting a mediocre Cano 3rd for most of a season.

Nimmo
Rosario
McNeil
Alonso
Conforto
Davis
Cano
Ramos

Should be a pretty good lineup next year, if that's how it goes down. The just need an upgrade at the 4th and 5th OF spots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 pm 
General Manager

6th is very good

context matters

Citified is 24th in Park factor

Coors field is 1st (they have more runs than the Mets .. doesn’t mean they have better hitters)

Nats are 3rd in park factor

Phillies are 12th

AZ is 18th (surprisingly low but still higher than the Mets + they play a lot of games in Coors field)

Btw, dodgers have a beast offense considering their park factor is 28th and they have scored by far the most runs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 am 
Legend of NYFS

They're 2nd in OPS+ which adjusts for stadium. 2nd out of 15 isn't bad.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leag ... 2019.shtml

unfortunately that same criteria puts them 13th out of 15 in ERA+. Yikes.