MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 757 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020-2021 Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm 
Legend of NYFS

And the market has to be that much weaker with the Mets appearing to be a lot less urgent to add a big bat and arm after the trade they just made. I would have to believe the Mets prob had an offer out to Springer that was a lot less than he was seeking which is probably the same case as TOR... the offers are probably in the 4/80 range if I were guessing. The Mets prob told his agent to come back to them if they are ready to drop into that range. Of course as time goes on, the Mets will drop what they’re willing to pay.

What I want to know is who’s in on Bauer besides likely the Angels. That’s another case of a team not negotiating against themselves. Would the Mariners jump in?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:42 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
And the market has to be that much weaker with the Mets appearing to be a lot less urgent to add a big bat and arm after the trade they just made. I would have to believe the Mets prob had an offer out to Springer that was a lot less than he was seeking which is probably the same case as TOR... the offers are probably in the 4/80 range if I were guessing. The Mets prob told his agent to come back to them if they are ready to drop into that range. Of course as time goes on, the Mets will drop what they’re willing to pay.

What I want to know is who’s in on Bauer besides likely the Angels. That’s another case of a team not negotiating against themselves. Would the Mariners jump in?

Mets are at 4 years, I think for more money than $80 million, however. They’re ahead of the Jays and still the most likely to sign him. Some worry that the Sox move Benitendi and then sign Springer. Springer is a Sox fan and he’d probably choose them all things equal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:02 pm 
NYFS Staff

I am pretty sure the Mets offer was likely 4-105 or something close. Ultimately, the market is odd with some money teams committed to spend, but too few to drive up FA prices...

Every FA is mentioned with the same several teams...Mets, Jays, Dodgers and Angels. Pads seem to be done adding $.

Cubs, Yanks, Boston, Cards, Seattle don’t seem to be budging in their budgets and attempt to pare back (or maintain)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:38 pm 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
I am pretty sure the Mets offer was likely 4-105 or something close. Ultimately, the market is odd with some money teams committed to spend, but too few to drive up FA prices...

Every FA is mentioned with the same several teams...Mets, Jays, Dodgers and Angels. Pads seem to be done adding $.

Cubs, Yanks, Boston, Cards, Seattle don’t seem to be budging in their budgets and attempt to pare back (or maintain)

I have no information, but 4-80 seems low, even in today's times. 4-105 seems like a more competitive and fair offer, even if it's 45 million and 1 year less than Springer wants.

It sure feels like it's dragging out though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:59 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Do not love that Pedro Baez deal at all. He seems like a guy that it will fall apart for quick.

Does feel a lot like a reliever contract we saw during the last Sandy era, tho.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:16 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Do not love that Pedro Baez deal at all. He seems like a guy that it will fall apart for quick.

It's basically 2 years 12 with a team option that brings it up potentially to 3 years 18.5 2-12 isn't a big risk. (unless I'm missing something).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

It's basically 2 years 12 with a team option that brings it up potentially to 3 years 18.5 2-12 isn't a big risk. (unless I'm missing something).

Its 2 years for a guy who I think if you went year to year on might not be a major league deal guy. Again, feels a lot like the bullpen signings we specialized in towards the beginning of the prior decade. This was also their apparent pivot off of Hendriks.

Just not sure how, with the reliever inventory still out there, one comes to the conclusion to rush to grab Baez.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 am 
NYFS Staff

What are your thoughts, folks, on the mild interest the Mets reportedly have in D.J. LeMahieu? He would seemingly cost less $ and for less years than Springer, who's younger. He gives you much better defense at 3B than Davis. He'll be 33 in July, so he's long in the tooth, but on a shorter term deal than Springer, who wants 5 yearsI like this idea. And it gives us Davis as a solid bench option, especially during interleague play.

Interleague lineup:

L Nimmo CF
S Lindor SS
R D.J. 3B
L Scooter RF
R Alonso 1B
L Dom LF
R McCann C
L McNeil 2B
R Davis DH

Obviously not ideal defensively in the OF, but murderer's row on offense.
On top of that, it spurns the Yankees. Would 4 years and $100M, with the last year a mutual option get it done? Age 33, 34, 35, 36 seasons concerns me, though.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:43 am 
Veteran Presence

Given what it will cost for DJLM and that signing him would, just like signing Springer or Bauer, likely preclude the Mets from addressing at least one of their other concerns in the rotation, bullpen or a better defensive centerfielder, I'm more and more in the "pass" group each day. I wouldn't come close to a six-figure deal.

I also happen to think that practically any team that signs him besides the Yankees is going to be severely disappointed by his power numbers. It's possible no one has benefitted more from the Yankee Stadium short porch than DJLM. In 2019-2020 combined, DJLM ranks 30th among qualified hitters in HR/FB. The 29 guys ahead of him all pull the ball more than they go opposite field and all but 3 of those 29 have a higher rate of making "hard" contact. That's to say, it makes sense for the guys ahead of him to be there because they yank it to their pull side with authority with more regularity. So while DJLM may just be talented enough to take advantage of the Yankee short porch, his batted ball data from Colorado suggests he's really the same opposite field hitter he's always been, but now playing in a stadium where those flyballs exit the ballpark. If anything, big kudos to Cashman and his crew for recognizing his already-in-place tendencies (as opposed to trying to get a RHH to go oppo) and letting him flourish.

That's not to say I think he will be "bad", but more in line with his solid career averages than the 30 HR pace he's hit at the last two seasons. That's a fine player, but I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:15 am 
Legend of NYFS

Dog wrote:
What are your thoughts, folks, on the mild interest the Mets reportedly have in D.J. LeMahieu? He would seemingly cost less $ and for less years than Springer, who's younger. He gives you much better defense at 3B than Davis. He'll be 33 in July, so he's long in the tooth, but on a shorter term deal than Springer, who wants 5 yearsI like this idea. And it gives us Davis as a solid bench option, especially during interleague play.

Interleague lineup:

L Nimmo CF
S Lindor SS
R D.J. 3B
L Scooter RF
R Alonso 1B
L Dom LF
R McCann C
L McNeil 2B
R Davis DH

On top of that, it spurns the Yankees. Would 4 years and $100M, with the last year a mutual option get it done? Age 33, 34, 35, 36 seasons concerns me, though.

Thoughts?

Thoughts are that there’s no indication that he’s seeking anything less than Springer. If reports are to be believed, he’s looking for 5/125M. If the Mets were willing to add another 25M/yr contract, they probably would have either Springer or DJLM already signed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Dog wrote:

Interleague lineup:

L Nimmo CF
S Lindor SS
R D.J. 3B
L Scooter RF
R Alonso 1B
L Dom LF
R McCann C
L McNeil 2B
R Davis DH

Thoughts?

Thoughts are that there’s no indication that he’s seeking anything less than Springer. If reports are to be believed, he’s looking for 5/125M. If the Mets were willing to add another 25M/yr contract, they probably would have either Springer or DJLM already signed.

The Mets are willing to add another 25M/year contract. They’re in that neighborhood already with Springer just not yet the years he wants.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:16 pm 
All Star

thebull wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Dog wrote:

Interleague lineup:

L Nimmo CF
S Lindor SS
R D.J. 3B
L Scooter RF
R Alonso 1B
L Dom LF
R McCann C
L McNeil 2B
R Davis DH

Thoughts?

The Mets are willing to add another 25M/year contract. They’re in that neighborhood already with Springer just not yet the years he wants.

I mean............I would prefer a better rotation piece but I will be fine with that. I wonder if that means the Mets would trade a Nimmo or Smith if that's the case?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 757 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 64  Next