MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 757 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020-2021 Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:21 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Think they are banking on the DH being in the NL next season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:32 pm 
Legend of NYFS

thebull wrote:
Think they are banking on the DH being in the NL next season.

Shouldn't that have been decided during the winter meetings? I don't understand how it's not decided already.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm 
Legend of NYFS

thebull wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Thoughts are that there’s no indication that he’s seeking anything less than Springer. If reports are to be believed, he’s looking for 5/125M. If the Mets were willing to add another 25M/yr contract, they probably would have either Springer or DJLM already signed.

The Mets are willing to add another 25M/year contract. They’re in that neighborhood already with Springer just not yet the years he wants.

I guess we’re gonna find out if that’s the case or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:00 pm 
NYFS Staff

Both DJLM and Springer will end up pretty close to equal in AAV when the dust shakes out. And as much as I think they should sign Springer, I can understand the hesitancy...

More likely, I think they will wait until something gives in the market and keep $10-15m in flexibility.

I don't think they are forgetting how much of a hit Cano, Conforto, Thor, Lindor, et al... are going to add next year, with only Stroman, Betances and Familia coming off the books to the tune of $35m

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:10 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

I don't care about spurning the Yankees. I'd rather have Springer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

We need a solid center fielder next year whoever it is. Defense up the middle will be a big asset if we can lock one in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:44 pm 
Veteran Presence

Mets talking to the Hand.

Michael Mayer
@mikemayerMMO
Heyman, "Mets are heavily involved with Hand."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:54 pm 
Legend of NYFS

On P front -

I'm betting if the Mets land Hand, Lugo is viewed as a rotation piece barring Matz coming in and looking fantastic. I'll bet they probably sign another name or two to smaller deals (maybe even NRIs) for the pen, and let Matz/Peterson battle it out for the 5th spot.

If they don't land Hand, they'll add cheaper names (Wilson, Perez, etc.) and probably add another 4th starter type (maybe they take the plunge on Kluber or Paxton).

Thats my guess. I think there's 1 more ~10m/yr pitcher added.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:05 pm 
Veteran Presence

Diaz, May, Hand, that's a nice trio. Would be super to also have Lugo in there, too, though. I could definitely see them going Hand, Kluber/Paxton, Pillar/Almora to finish out the offseason, though. Think they want another starter, and they want to keep Lugo in the pen.

Springer and DJ may end up having to take a one-year deal somewhere to wait on a better market in 21-22.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:19 pm 
Legend of NYFS

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
Diaz, May, Hand, that's a nice trio. Would be super to also have Lugo in there, too, though. I could definitely see them going Hand, Kluber/Paxton, Pillar/Almora to finish out the offseason, though. Think they want another starter, and they want to keep Lugo in the pen.

Springer and DJ may end up having to take a one-year deal somewhere to wait on a better market in 21-22.

Kluber and Paxton going to get more than you think, I bet, and so while the above works from a budget perspective, I find it very hard to believe thats all they do position player wise. Sandy clearly indicates he needs another starting OF to anyone who will listen and nobody is willing to commit to JDD.

I think CF/infield are intertwined and SP/RP are intertwined, but we still see adds to all 4. Its either elite reliver with Lugo to rotation and depth/NRI's added or legit SP with depth/NRIs for pen. Then I think its either Springer plus a utility guy or Pillar-type with a big get for infield.

I still think Springer and DJLM get paid. Realmuto and Bauer are the ones I think could end up with 1 year, high AAV deals. Turner will end up back with the Dodgers on a 2 + option deal. Ozuna gets a 3 year deal somewhere eventually (Twins?).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:24 pm 
Legend of NYFS

nyfuturestars10978 wrote:

Michael Mayer
@mikemayerMMO

:lol: I like what you did there.

Heyman also said Mets still have a good chance at getting Springer. So Mets kicking some butt and taking names...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
nyfuturestars10978 wrote:

Michael Mayer
@mikemayerMMO

:lol: I like what you did there.

Heyman also said Mets still have a good chance at getting Springer. So Mets kicking some butt and taking names...

Yes, Mets still have the best offer out to Springer. Just hope the Sox stay out of it and that the Jays don’t get desperate and overpay as I don’t think the Mets will go to $30M per now that Lindor is here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 757 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 64  Next