MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2021 Spring Training Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:31 am 
Legend of NYFS

Mogriffjr wrote:
Three standout #Mets arms in camp, per Luis Rojas: Matt Allan, Ryley Gilliam, and Sam McWilliams.

Listen it’s all good trying to sign all the relievers but the Mets are going to need these kids to contribute too, aka Drew Smith, Gilliam, etc...

Agree, tho I’m pretty low on Gilliam. But he’ll probably get a shot at some point this season.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Mogriffjr wrote:
Three standout #Mets arms in camp, per Luis Rojas: Matt Allan, Ryley Gilliam, and Sam McWilliams.

Listen it’s all good trying to sign all the relievers but the Mets are going to need these kids to contribute too, aka Drew Smith, Gilliam, etc...

Agree, tho I’m pretty low on Gilliam. But he’ll probably get a shot at some point this season.

There's always opportunities that arise. Our OD bullpen last year was Diaz, Lugo, Betances, Familia, Wilson, Hunter Strickland, Drew Smith, Chasen Shreve, and Paul Sewald.

In addition to that list, we ended up using: Jared Hughes, Brad Brach, Robert Gsellman, Erasmo Ramirez, Corey Oswalt, Franklyn Kilome, Miguel Castro in the pen (not to mention starters like Peterson, Wacha, and Matz being shuffled down there too at times).

The point of having depth, especially pre-40 man ones like Gilliam, is that you set yourself up as well as possible to start, and when things inevitably go wrong, you can utilize your depth. If the plan is simply to start with 4 guys its pretty certain will be swapped out before very long (Familia, Betances, Castro, Barnes), you're already well into what should have been your "depth" not because they forced their way up, but because you HAD to dive into it. Thats not a plan for success.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:24 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Mogriffjr wrote:

There's always opportunities that arise. Our OD bullpen last year was Diaz, Lugo, Betances, Familia, Wilson, Hunter Strickland, Drew Smith, Chasen Shreve, and Paul Sewald.

In addition to that list, we ended up using: Jared Hughes, Brad Brach, Robert Gsellman, Erasmo Ramirez, Corey Oswalt, Franklyn Kilome, Miguel Castro in the pen (not to mention starters like Peterson, Wacha, and Matz being shuffled down there too at times).

The point of having depth, especially pre-40 man ones like Gilliam, is that you set yourself up as well as possible to start, and when things inevitably go wrong, you can utilize your depth. If the plan is simply to start with 4 guys its pretty certain will be swapped out before very long (Familia, Betances, Castro, Barnes), you're already well into what should have been your "depth" not because they forced their way up, but because you HAD to dive into it. Thats not a plan for success.

Yeah I’m hoping for the best with Betances and Familia, but I am not happy about the way they finished the offseason bullpen-wise. Seems we were in on Hand, in on Rosenthal, and just ended up going with Loup and a minor league deal to Hunter. Getting one more solid setup type would have been ideal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:48 pm 
Veteran Presence

The Mets problem isn't finding opportunities for good arms in the bullpen.

Their problem is that they shouldn't trust half of their bullpen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:23 pm 
Legend of NYFS

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
Quote:
Mike Puma @NYPost_Mets
The Mets sold out their entire home Grapefruit League season (1,400 fans per game) in nine minutes.

That's kind of awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 pm 
Manager

deGrom throwing 99 ALREADY...deGoat is insane.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:15 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:

I don't think their pen is as bad as all that and there are sufficient fall back options including arms like Lucchesi & Peterson who could see pen time. I think their pen will be in the top 15 maybe even top 10 when all is said and done. Not awful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:40 pm 
Veteran Presence

LTKfRGM wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:

I don't think their pen is as bad as all that and there are sufficient fall back options including arms like Lucchesi & Peterson who could see pen time. I think their pen will be in the top 15 maybe even top 10 when all is said and done. Not awful.

The Mets pen finishing in the 10-15 range would be a huge win. I think it's incredibly optimistic to predict Top 10, but I sure hope you're right.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:52 pm 
Legend of NYFS

The Juice wrote:
The Mets pen finishing in the 10-15 range would be a huge win. I think it's incredibly optimistic to predict Top 10, but I sure hope you're right.

You're right, top 10 might be pushing it, but top 15 wouldn't surprise me at all.

I think they had a good off-season though, especially for staying under the cap. The improvements they gave themselves in SS, Catcher, position player depth and starting pitching is huge.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:40 am 
NYFS Staff

Mogriffjr wrote:

This is cool and I know he said he started throwing 2 weeks earlier than normal...but my concern is he's going to go too fast too soon. It's a lonnnnng season. Easy does it, Jake.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:16 am 
Practically A Wilpon

Dog wrote:
Mogriffjr wrote:

This is cool and I know he said he started throwing 2 weeks earlier than normal...but my concern is he's going to go too fast too soon. It's a lonnnnng season. Easy does it, Jake.

I get it but Jake seems to be one of the guys who knows his body. I'm not super concerned about that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:45 am 
Veteran Presence

Jacob deGrom wakes up on January 1st and throws 98 miles per hour while feeding formula to abandoned baby goats. He good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next