MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 Roster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:48 pm 
Blue Chipper

I want no part of Baez or Conforto on this squad next year but extend the QO to Conforto and hope he signs elsewhere for the draft pick compensation. I'm tired of watching over-hyped, under-performing players. Quite frankly, I'm growing tired of Sandy and his FO, as well. I know he was hamstrung to an extent by the Coupons but most of the money spent was spent on the wrong players. This team always seems like a bunch of frustrating square pegs forced into round holes.

LET'S GO METS!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:36 am 
Fan Favorite

MazzilliTheMet wrote:
I want no part of Baez or Conforto on this squad next year but extend the QO to Conforto and hope he signs elsewhere for the draft pick compensation. I'm tired of watching over-hyped, under-performing players. Quite frankly, I'm growing tired of Sandy and his FO, as well. I know he was hamstrung to an extent by the Coupons but most of the money spent was spent on the wrong players. This team always seems like a bunch of frustrating square pegs forced into round holes.

And the problem is, at least two from the "next wave" are going to continue the trend. Mauricio is a shortstop, that position is taken. They've got 2, maybe 3 third basemen coming with Vientos, Baty, and Thompson. Yeah sure, they've been trying Vientos and Baty out in left this summer. Kinda late in their development IMO.

The organization needs a deep disinfecting. Whoever takes over as POBO this fall needs to tell Cohen to forget the Dodgers, and instead take a step or two back for a season or so, a la the Braves in the middle of the last decade. That franchise has certainly rebounded nicely, don't you think?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:17 pm 
Prospect

I’m not saying you wrong, especially about where they are in their development, but there is a philosophy that you hoard the best athletes and then find them a place to play. Most of the best athletes are/were shortstops at one point in their baseball careers. Mauricio will be fine. That said, they definitely need to start using him in other positions now, unless they plan to trade him in the offseason.
Baty and Vientos have already started to learn new positions. This team will look very different in two years.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:00 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Disco Ball wrote:
MazzilliTheMet wrote:

And the problem is, at least two from the "next wave" are going to continue the trend. Mauricio is a shortstop, that position is taken. They've got 2, maybe 3 third basemen coming with Vientos, Baty, and Thompson. Yeah sure, they've been trying Vientos and Baty out in left this summer. Kinda late in their development IMO.

The organization needs a deep disinfecting. Whoever takes over as POBO this fall needs to tell Cohen to forget the Dodgers, and instead take a step or two back for a season or so, a la the Braves in the middle of the last decade. That franchise has certainly rebounded nicely, don't you think?

Those aren't real problems though.

Mauricio is perhaps a late season callup in 2022, possibly earlier if Lindor goes on the DL. If he hits a ton, then it becomes an interesting problem for the 2023 season. If he doesn't hit then he alternates between AAA and MLB in 2023 and he's brought along more slowly.

Not all prospects work out, so having both Baty and Vientos, at least for now, is fine. Thompson is (and I hate to say this about a player who's clearly worked hard), not really part of the equation. I'm not sure his options status, but he might not be a Met next year.

A lot of teams with good farm systems have this kind of doubling up. We used to have it at 2nd base with Tejada and Reese Havens and we all know how that worked out.

These are good problems to have.

I agree that the Dom Smith/Alonso situation isn't ideal, but the way Dom is hitting and fielding, Dom being forced out of position hasn't been terrible this year and I think if he's a legit 1B/corner OF, that ups his trade value. He just needs to start hitting.

Mets need a 3rd baseman, so it'll be interesting to see what they do next year, if they sign one long term, or if they do a short term fix and hold the spot for Baty/Vientos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

Quote:
Jack Ramsey @jackwramsey

Former Marlins’ executive Michael Hill, age 50, has emerged as a strong candidate for the Mets’ open President of Baseball Operations position, sources say. “He’s a leader and people respond to him”, said one industry source of Hill. More to come.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:21 pm 
Veteran Presence

yalikeMetroplitans wrote:
Quote:
Jack Ramsey @jackwramsey

Former Marlins’ executive Michael Hill, age 50, has emerged as a strong candidate for the Mets’ open President of Baseball Operations position, sources say. “He’s a leader and people respond to him”, said one industry source of Hill. More to come.

You mean the architect of those feared Marlins team? Lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:33 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Question for the 2022 roster, do you plan on Walker pitching 15-20 games and being useful for the playoffs, or do you give him every 5th start and anticipate a break-down again? I don't think he's a 32 start pitcher and I'm not sure deGrom will be next year either. 6 starters and some clever juggling might be the way to go.

I'm reasonably sure that's what the Dodgers would do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:27 pm 
Blue Chipper

https://nypost.com/2021/09/15/mets-pres ... s%20Alerts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:14 am 
Legend of NYFS

Asbury Mark wrote:
https://nypost.com/2021/09/15/mets-president-search-complicated-by-steve-cohens-tweets/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sports_news_alert&utm_content=20210915&utm_term=NYP%20-%20Sports%20Alerts

I don’t think the tweeting is an issue at all. But otherwise, they need to get their acts together. Alderson continuing to be a prime fixture is a big problem. There’s no other way to judge that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:00 am 
Fan Favorite

Quote:
Scott, Jared Porter and Mickey Callaway were all hired by Alderson and landed in embarrassing situations. Porter was fired as Mets GM in January, after it was revealed he sexually harassed a female journalist while working for the Cubs. Callaway, the former Mets manager, was suspended through 2022 by MLB for sending inappropriate messages and photos to female reporters.

“It’s incredibly unfortunate and I am personally chagrined by the whole thing, but to a large extent they are unrelated, each one of them, and I am not sure it points to a single flaw in our hiring process,” Alderson said.

He's not sure? Time to retire Sandy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:48 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hard pass on Castellanos.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:06 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Here’s a question: if they offer a Noah a QO and he accepts, what do they do re SP?

You can’t just bring back this same group. But you have Carrasco Walker Noah and Jake all under contract with significant salaries if that happens.

Will they really bring in another 8 figure salary guy?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next