MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2022 Mets Minors Omnibus Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:37 am 
Legend of NYFS

I’m wary of De Los Santos doing this in low A at 23 but 60 SBs with 13 HRs is hard to ignore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:18 am 
Legend of NYFS

zaknim wrote:
Ok everything is updated for the new list! If you want me to add anyone else to the notables just let me know!

August 16 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 prospects per MLB Pipeline)
AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

5) Jett Williams SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/4, HR(1), R, RBI, 2 K, .286/.909
6) Ronny Mauricio SS (AA Binghamton) - 2/5, HR(22), 2 R, RBI, .247/.756

This surprises me a little. Jett is a nice pick with upside, but Mauricio is almost a top 100 prospect. I'd have expected these two to be flipped.

Go Mets!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:27 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Maurcio's stock has dropped greatly. Yes he's showing that power but when you dive into the numbers it's not all pretty. Still only has an OBP of .282 and a wRC+ of 97 which is below average because he can't get on base and strikes out a lot. When he connects it goes but it's almost like a one trick pony at this point. A lot of people are unsure if he'll put it together even though his upside is immense if he does. I don't think he'll be in anyone's top 100s in the off-season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:38 am 
Legend of NYFS

zaknim wrote:
Maurcio's stock has dropped greatly. Yes he's showing that power but when you dive into the numbers it's not all pretty. Still only has an OBP of .282 and a wRC+ of 97 which is below average because he can't get on base and strikes out a lot. When he connects it goes but it's almost like a one trick pony at this point. A lot of people are unsure if he'll put it together even though his upside is immense if he does. I don't think he'll be in anyone's top 100s in the off-season.

Yeah, the OBP is hard to overlook. Not sure there are many prospects that put up an OBP that low and turned into great major leaguers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:48 am 
Practically A Wilpon

thebull wrote:
zaknim wrote:

Yeah, the OBP is hard to overlook. Not sure there are many prospects that put up an OBP that low and turned into great major leaguers.

I don't even think there are many who became everyday players, much less good players.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:53 am 
Legend of NYFS

thebull wrote:
zaknim wrote:

Now project what you think his slash would have been had he played in an age-appropriate level this year like A+…

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:22 pm 
Rookie

HeyNowHK wrote:
thebull wrote:
zaknim wrote:

Now project what you think his slash would have been had he played in an age-appropriate level this year like A+…

I think that explains the Ks and the lower BA, but not the walks. He has yet to show any plate discipline/ strike zone awareness. There is also doubt that he can stay at SS.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 pm 
Rookie

LTKfRGM wrote:
zaknim wrote:
Ok everything is updated for the new list! If you want me to add anyone else to the notables just let me know!

August 16 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 prospects per MLB Pipeline)
AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

5) Jett Williams SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/4, HR(1), R, RBI, 2 K, .286/.909
6) Ronny Mauricio SS (AA Binghamton) - 2/5, HR(22), 2 R, RBI, .247/.756

This surprises me a little. Jett is a nice pick with upside, but Mauricio is almost a top 100 prospect. I'd have expected these two to be flipped.

It is all based on projection. Jett hasn't shown you what he can't do yet. Ronny has.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:04 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Kevin From Spotswood wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
thebull wrote:

I think that explains the Ks and the lower BA, but not the walks. He has yet to show any plate discipline/ strike zone awareness. There is also doubt that he can stay at SS.

His K rate is not high for the EL.. it’s looks about average or even below.

I’m not saying that he’s definitely a top 100 prospect. I’m saying that lists aren’t too important and that results need context.

If he played this year in A+ and hit 270/330/550, what would the view be then?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Feels like a real possibility we see Harol Gonzalez at some point this year which I dont think many had on their bingo card.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
thebull wrote:
zaknim wrote:

He played there last year and had a .290 OBP. I’m not keen on inflating minor league stats based on age for the level. That’s how you end up thinking Ruben Tejada is going to turn into something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:18 pm 
Veteran Presence

Mauricio has never had better than a .307 OBP in the minors. Not average, obp. MLB gives him a 40 hit tool but even that might be generous. If he ever gets his average and obp up, he's a very high-end prospect even if he moves to third which I would expect him to do. But he's looking pretty boom or bust.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 71  Next