MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Willie and Mota
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:32 am 
Everyday Player

I like the Mota. He's done a good job overall for this team so far. But how in God's name did this guy, after struggling all season in Cleveland, manage to become THE go to guy in front of Wagner in a span of about a month of meaningless baseball in Willie's eyes? I like the idea of riding the hot hand, but he's not lockdown. I couldn't believe Willie left him out there to pitch to Spezio in the 7th with Heilman up. Hasn't Willie noticed Mota's trend of getting the first two hitters of an inning easily and then struggling to get the 3rd out?

I can't kill Willie about this, because I think he's done a good job with the pen in the playoffs. But, I'm wondering why it's Mota on the mound trying to get the biggest outs late in games.

And has Roberto Hernandez become our postseason Heath Bell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:34 am 
Legend of NYFS

Chris Russo predictied on his show today that Mota would blow a game for the Mets sometime this series. Guess he was right...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:37 am 
Everyday Player

no1mtsfn wrote:
Chris Russo predictied on his show today that Mota would blow a game for the Mets sometime this series. Guess he was right...

Well when he's used for at least an inning every game in close games it's bound to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:37 am 
Everyday Player

no1mtsfn wrote:

Because it would've made any difference to him if Mota didn't? He's an ass clown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:40 am 
Legend of NYFS

Kostas X wrote:
no1mtsfn wrote:

Because it would've made any difference to him if Mota didn't? He's an ass clown.

lol...okay...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:29 am 
Rookie

Im not always right (yes i am) but I was dead on with this one, Mota was and still is a ticking time-bomb, he has a lot of dog in him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:44 am 
Franchise Player

Valent(in) > You wrote:
Im not always right (yes i am) but I was dead on with this one, Mota was and still is a ticking time-bomb, he has a lot of dog in him.

So you're saying you feel that you and Mota are kindered spirits in that regard?

You're not exactly "canine free" yourself there pal.

Post subject: Re: Willie and Mota
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:47 am 
Everyday Player

Robot Devil wrote:
I like the Mota. He's done a good job overall for this team so far. But how in God's name did this guy, after struggling all season in Cleveland, manage to become THE go to guy in front of Wagner in a span of about a month of meaningless baseball in Willie's eyes? I like the idea of riding the hot hand, but he's not lockdown. I couldn't believe Willie left him out there to pitch to Spezio in the 7th with Heilman up. Hasn't Willie noticed Mota's trend of getting the first two hitters of an inning easily and then struggling to get the 3rd out?

I can't kill Willie about this, because I think he's done a good job with the pen in the playoffs. But, I'm wondering why it's Mota on the mound trying to get the biggest outs late in games.

And has Roberto Hernandez become our postseason Heath Bell?

The more mind boggling thing is how Willie hasn't used Robo once this whole postseason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:15 pm 
Veteran Presence

I like Mota a lot, but Willie has abused this bullpen....

Next year our Bullpen will be Wagner, Sanchez, Heilman and Mota.... LIGHTS OUT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:37 pm 
Fan Favorite

Wrightstuff wrote:

What, already with the Willie talk. He uses the bullpen because the starting pitching stinks. It's not rocket science.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:41 pm 
Veteran Presence

SteveSomers wrote:
Wrightstuff wrote:

What, already with the Willie talk. He uses the bullpen because the starting pitching stinks. It's not rocket science.

Each big Reliever on the Mets threw 23+ pitches, sometimes you have to bite the Bullet and stretch Maine out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:51 pm 
Rookie

The worst thing about last night's game wasn't the loss (with a Carpenter start, the chances of losing were relatively high, even if the way we did it was surprising) - it was the bullpen useage.

I don't think the heavy load on the key bullpen pieces was really all Willie's fault though (The loss of the lead due to the slow hook on Mota was, but not the useage) - it was more execution failure on the parts of the pitchers, and a whole lot of VERY good ABs for Card hitters.

By contrast, we hardly taxed the Cardinal bullpen at all, and I think this is going to make a major difference in the next several days.

Last night was a disaster, and I don't think we're the favorites anymore.

That said, if somehow Trachsel can manage to go 7, and we can conserve our pen for a day and win an easy one, it all turns around - and I fervently hope that happens, though I have next to no faith in Steve Trachsel.

"He was right." - Wagner on 'The Jacket'