MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STRESS?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:01 pm 
MVP

We lost a game. We are now 4 and 1 in the playoffs. I said at the beginning of this series it was not going to be a cakewalk and St. Louis was not going to lay down.

Want some stress. The 16 inning game in 86. The absolute terror that all Met Fans and all the Mets as well had of not being able to win game six against the Astros, because not winning it meant they would have to face the dreaded Mike Scott in the deciding game.

How about being three runs down facing elimination and having 6 batters in row come to the plate and get 2 strikes on them (1 strike away from going home losers) before we finally win the game with all six of them getting hits.

They always replay the Buckner play, but never what came before. That was stress. The longest inning I ever remember watching, but not half as long as it was for Red Sox fans.

Want some more stress? After we beat these guys, which isn't going to be easy, we have to face the new "unbeatable" team with the other genius manager and the great young pitching staff.

I also said that the playoffs are a different Zone and they are not worth being in unless you throw up blood a couple of times.

Stress? You ain't seen nothing yet. You lost a freaking game.

The fun is just beginning, we have to win 7 more games against guys that want to rip our nuts off!!!

Life doesn't get any better than this.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LET'S GO METS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:07 pm 
Franchise Player

You're right...

I just lost it for a minute...

Post subject: Re: STRESS?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:19 pm 
NYFS Staff

gigawit wrote:
We lost a game. We are now 4 and 1 in the playoffs. I said at the beginning of this series it was not going to be a cakewalk and St. Louis was not going to lay down.

Want some stress. The 16 inning game in 86. The absolute terror that all Met Fans and all the Mets as well had of not being able to win game six against the Astros, because not winning it meant they would have to face the dreaded Mike Scott in the deciding game.

How about being three runs down facing elimination and having 6 batters in row come to the plate and get 2 strikes on them (1 strike away from going home losers) before we finally win the game with all six of them getting hits.

They always replay the Buckner play, but never what came before. That was stress. The longest inning I ever remember watching, but not half as long as it was for Red Sox fans.

Want some more stress? After we beat these guys, which isn't going to be easy, we have to face the new "unbeatable" team with the other genius manager and the great young pitching staff.

I also said that the playoffs are a different Zone and they are not worth being in unless you throw up blood a couple of times.

Stress? You ain't seen nothing yet. You lost a freaking game.

The fun is just beginning, we have to win 7 more games against guys that want to rip our nuts off!!!

Life doesn't get any better than this.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LET'S GO METS

Game 6 of the NLCS was one of the best day's ever.

My school was right down the block from Rusty Staub's first restaraunt on 73rd and 3rd and he, like many other bars, had TVs turned out into the street. After football practice we got off the busses from Randall's Island, got our bookbags and ran to the window to watch, helmets in hand. It was great. Just great.

People certainly can do what they want, but I'll tell them this -- to live through Art Howe to get this team and then to spend the post-season stressed rather than embracing the ride is cheating yourself out of a ton of good things.

~Jack Burton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:56 pm 
Fan Favorite

You want to know stress how about losing your two top starters before the playoffs even begin in Pedro and Elduque. How about losing our top setup man during the season. How about our Hr leader for the team last year in the playoffs. I can go on and on. The cards are in the playoffs that means they are a good team. Just relax and enjoy the journey, everyone needs to remember this is just the beginning for this team. Lets focus on tonight.

LETS GO METS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:13 pm 
Veteran Presence

That game was over after the first inning, but our Pitcher let them back into the game....

HE gave up 4 runs on 2 hits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:17 pm 
Everyday Player

When we advance, I would rather have Dave Williams then Maine. Put Maine in the pen and start Williams against the Tigers

--Wallace Matthews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:05 pm 
Everyday Player

lol..

don't remember what thread..
but i pretty much called it..

1 loss = all the in closet willie haters coming out and looking for blood..

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:07 pm 
Veteran Presence

LETSGOMETSGO wrote:
When we advance, I would rather have Dave Williams then Maine. Put Maine in the pen and start Williams against the Tigers

There a dominant Right Lineup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:45 pm 
Veteran Presence

My stress is, why Julio Franco keeps getting AB's I dont even think he has fouled one off.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:49 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

My stress is why did we lose a game after winning 8 straight. In other words, stress-free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:49 pm 
Manager

Wrightstuff wrote:
My stress is, why Julio Franco keeps getting AB's I dont even think he has fouled one off.....

im going to have to agree with you... i know PHing is difficult, but he hasnt come close to hitting when he bats now for a while... i think it might be time for someone to tell him "hey, youre almost 50 now - time to get away from having the bat pointing at the pitcher when in your stance"

i like what i see from tucker when he PHs though... he's patient at the plate, and if he walks fine - then we usually have reyes up next 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:53 pm 
Rookie

Tucker has been great in a PH role. Even if he doesn't get a hit or get on, he makes the pitcher work hard to get him out.

We need a lot more of that right now - after Carpenter, we gave Card's relievers a whole bunch of easy, low pitch count innings.

"He was right." - Wagner on 'The Jacket'