MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: A trade we SHOULD explore
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:23 am 
All Star

Metro2007 wrote:
Quote:
In a report for the Globe and Mail in Toronto, Jeff Blair reports the Blue Jays will essentially give away Alex Rios or Vernon Wells, so long as it saves them money to help re-sign Roy Halladay, who is a free agent at the end of next season.

http://www.metsblog.com/2009/06/30/buzz ... and-wells/

I am FAR from an Alex Rios Fan boy but "giving him away" I'll take Rios for Antonini and Stoner if they want to GIVE him away

yeah - not too much goin on there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:23 am 
Legend of NYFS

ESPNhater wrote:
Sounds good

ESPNhater wrote:
Taking on marginal talent owed big money sounds like a page from the Isiah Thomas book on how to build a team.

Do two different people have access to your handle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
ESPNhater wrote:
Sounds good

ESPNhater wrote:
Taking on marginal talent owed big money sounds like a page from the Isiah Thomas book on how to build a team.

I was wondering this myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:26 am 
Legend of NYFS

He's owed a lot of money for a guy who probably won't OPS .800.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:28 am 
Legend of NYFS

what about wells.

It's better in the end"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:29 am 
Legend of NYFS

uapeople wrote:
what about wells.

Paid like Beltran, hits like McLouth (at his best), Lastings at his worst (i.e. right now: .692 OPS).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:35 am 
NYFS Staff

northway wrote:

I think he's a solid .780-.790 guy, and is a plus-plus defender.

He may yet blossom further, but at least he offers defense, speed, a little pop and might benefit from spacious Citifield.

I am not convinced he's a good acquisition, but I also don't think Dunn and Holliday will come as cheaply players wise, and may not be that much less of a hitter than Holliday. Plus, as players get healthy, he does not create a logjam, and would enhance the bottom of the lineup. As salray goes, he is floating around $12 million 2011-2014, but is reasonable this and next year.

It's moot since I don't think the Wilpons would pick up the cash without enhancements from the Jays side, and he has a full no-trade this year and next.

The Jays'll have plenty of money to throw at Halladya, since Ryan's and Rolen's $21 million come off at the same time Halladay goes on the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:37 am 
All Star

I agree with ESPNHater. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:40 am 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
ESPNhater wrote:
Sounds good

ESPNhater wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life

RIP uapeople

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:43 am 
Manager

I think he'd give us a nice advantage at home with outstanding defense in a big RF and good defense in CF when Carlos needs a breather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:44 am 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
northway wrote:

I think he's a solid .780-.790 guy, and is a plus-plus defender.

He may yet blossom further, but at least he offers defense, speed, a little pop and might benefit from spacious Citifield.

I am not convinced he's a good acquisition, but I also don't think Dunn and Holliday will come as cheaply players wise, and may not be that much less of a hitter than Holliday. Plus, as players get healthy, he does not create a logjam, and would enhance the bottom of the lineup. As salray goes, he is floating around $12 million 2011-2014, but is reasonable this and next year.

It's moot since I don't think the Wilpons would pick up the cash without enhancements from the Jays side, and he has a full no-trade this year and next.

The Jays'll have plenty of money to throw at Halladya, since Ryan's and Rolen's $21 million come off at the same time Halladay goes on the market.

I'm concerned about his OPS having trended backwards last season and again this season. I think the possibility of catastrophic decline is greater than the possibility of any further blossoming. If he wasn't signed to such a large contract for such a long time I'd be interested, but if he keeps doing what he's been doing this year he's a terrible corner outfielder. There are better places to spend that money, even if he's free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:46 am 
Fan Favorite

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
ESPNhater wrote:
Sounds good

ESPNhater wrote:

You truncated the first clip prior to the "but" statement. The second half of the statement clearly states that I have reservations about adding salary when it is attached to not that great a player.

I also looked at Rios' stats (rather than from memory) prior to my second post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next