MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sheffield to the DL
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:42 am 
Legend of NYFS

I don't know if this was mentioned in the IGT, but I thought it deserved its own thread:

Quote:
HOUSTON — Gary Sheffield of the Mets reported for work Saturday and said he was ready to play for the first time in a week after injuring his right hamstring.

“I feel good; I should be O.K,” Sheffield said, adding that he had understood he would be in the starting lineup when the Mets played the Astros in the second game of a three-game series at Minute Maid Park.

But the batting order was not posted at its usual time and when it appeared — about two hours before the first pitch — Cory Sullivan was playing left field and Sheffield’s name was listed with the reserves.

Sheffield seemed puzzled. He walked down a clubhouse hallway and entered the office of Manager Jerry Manuel. He emerged a few minutes later with an enigmatic smile on his face and only a brief statement.

“Talk to them about that,” Sheffield said with a shake of his head toward the manager’s door.

The Mets then announced that Sheffield would be placed on the disabled list because of a strained right hamstring, retroactive to July 18, a day after he last played.

He will not be eligible to return until Aug. 2, two days after the nonwaiver trading deadline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/sports/baseball/26metsnotes.html?_r=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:45 am 
NYFS Staff

I think there's something being implied here, but I'm not sure what it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:46 am 
Legend of NYFS

Monsoon wrote:

yeah, i would like to know too.

It's better in the end"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:47 am 
Legend of NYFS

Monsoon wrote:

I also noticed that.

The great thing about piling on is that you can merely sound skeptical and people will form their own conclusions.

I think they're drawing a lot from a typical Sheffield "talk to them about that".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:54 am 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
Monsoon wrote:

I also noticed that.

The great thing about piling on is that you can merely sound skeptical and people will form their own conclusions.

I think they're drawing a lot from a typical Sheffield "talk to them about that".

Well that and his announcement that he is ready to play and that he wasn't in the lineup and that he had to go talk to them to find out what's going on and the Mets ineptitude in dealing with player personnel...
There is a lot to draw from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:02 am 
Legend of NYFS

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/articl ... p&c_id=nym

here is a more in depth view.

"But as an apparently healthy Sheffield took batting practice prior to the game, launching multiple home runs over the left-field wall, the reasons for his DL assignment remained murky. Sheffield had participated in an extensive lower-body workout on Friday afternoon, feeling fine both afterward and the next day -- the requisite test to determine whether or not he could play.

So Sheffield assumed he was in the lineup Saturday, but the Mets demurred. About an hour before game time, they finally posted their card, with Sheffield's name conspicuously absent."

"Asked if he agreed with the decision, Sheffield briefly hesitated before answering.

"Yeah," he said. "Yeah, I agree with it."

The decision, without question, came down from above -- Sheffield discussed it at length with Manuel, assistant general manager John Ricco and, via telephone, general manager Omar Minaya. That group preached caution for a player with a history of hamstring strains, and who will be a key piece if the Mets have any designs of making an improbable run to a playoff berth."

"Yet Sheffield's condition does not appear to be nearly as serious, especially considering the quality of his swings during batting practice Saturday. He can play, and he is not hiding that fact.

"Yeah, but to what degree?" Sheffield said. "I'm not going to say this is a phantom DL or whatever it might come out later. But nobody knows when it comes to a hamstring. They always say when you have a bad hammy, when you're ready, give it another week. That's kind of the perspective that I'm keeping.""

weird.

It's better in the end"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:08 am 
Legend of NYFS

It's definitely understandable giving him another week, particularly in light of the setbacks that pretty much every Met on the DL has faced this season. When he showed he was ready to come back, they likely sat down and had a conversation, ultimately determining that they'd rather play it safe than risk restarting his clock and aggravating the injury. In the grand scheme of poorly handled injuries, I think this ranks relatively low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:14 am 
Legend of NYFS

well they aren't giving up. it states point blank in that article "possible playoff berth".

after all that has happened if they could pull that off it would be a great story.

however it's gonna take a miracle. they need to have the guys back and go on a streak like they did in 1969.

It's better in the end"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:17 am 
Legend of NYFS

uapeople wrote:
well they aren't giving up. it states point blank in that article "possible playoff berth".

after all that has happened if they could pull that off it would be a great story.

however it's gonna take a miracle. they need to have the guys back and go on a streak like they did in 1969.

For sure, but I think that's more what this move says than anything else. If they were giving up, they'd let him play through it and not care. Instead, they're going to try to play with as healthy a team as they've had all year, even if it means going without Sheff for a week. And yes, it will take a miracle, but not totally giving up while simultaneously not making a stupid Kazmir trade is fine with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:20 am 
General Manager

I think one of two things are going on, either the Mets plan to trade Sheffield but don't want him to get hurt before the deadline or Jerry wasn't too far off with his crack about the doctors and surgery being next after all :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:20 am 
NYFS Staff

Maybe they are simply getting this one right. I agree about hamstrings, they are cantankerous. If it would have been a full 15 more days, I could see some upset, but it is only 1 more week, and an easy way to fit Niese in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:26 am 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
Maybe they are simply getting this one right. I agree about hamstrings, they are cantankerous. If it would have been a full 15 more days, I could see some upset, but it is only 1 more week, and an easy way to fit Niese in.

Could be but as always the Mets totally drop the ball in handling it. Wait a week before putting him on the DL... don't communicate it well with the player.

There are way too many teams that will be playing each other to leap frog into the Wild Card lead unless this team wins something like 20 in a row.