MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Corporate concerns..
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:23 pm 
Rookie

it's true that the Mets benefit in regards to revenue from being in NY, they will have a base of revenue that other clubs won't have regardless of their record from playing in in a large market.

There is a larger group of die hard fans who will attend games out of loyalty then any other team in the NL, example; when the Braves are bad and they play a bad team 1,000 people attend when the Mets are bad and play a bad team 10,000 attend...

Even though their competing with the Yankees for marketing and merchandising revenues the left overs they will recieve after a bad year are greater then some teams will get in a very good year.

So I'm confident that the Mets will be able to maintian a respectable salary base. I also believe they will take into consideration the incredibly large swing tickets in the greater NY area. The Mets know if the team is playing well their is an incredibly large group of fans who will by tickets..

But what I'm concerned about is the corporate ticket sales. I have two very close friends ( actually one is a family member) who buy season tickets in the very expensive section. They are very expensive and use them for business purposes, they are still buying despite the economy. They are not fans of either team nor are the clients they bring in, these are guys looking to be taken to a NY event not fans looking to see their team. The friends i have are considering spending their money on the Yanks because they were stuck with the tickets last year and dont want it to happen again. They could careless what team they buy tickets with as long as the clients want to see them, mets tickets have always been slightly cheaper so when they were winning they bought them but if they don't believe its worth it they'll spend the extra for the Yanks tickets. These guys aren't spending on tickets mid-season if the Mets suddenly get good, Its a one time shot in the off-season.

These guys have until Dec. 18th to make their decision, they know how big a fan I am and they said if something singificant doesnt happen by then sorry were going elsewhere.

for those who say we dont want that type around anyway, corporate tickets (overall ) take us from 100MM team to a 130MM team.

Here's my bigger cocerns if the Mets know they are under this type of pressure do they make stupid trade or signing before the 18th or do they see there bottom line after the 18th and shut it down financially. Even if they don't allow them to effect their decisions this year how will the loss of revenue effect them in 2010....