MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Full story coming soon. Brian Costa just released this quote, though:

Brian Costa @BrianCostaWSJ 48s Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Fred Wilpon: "How could anybody deny that it’s been a challenging time? But I came from nothing. I meet the challenges."

Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:12 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

Have to love this Selig. Also, from Costa.

Bud Selig also reiterated strong support for Wilpon today, saying, "He’s everything you’d want in a local owner."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:17 pm 
General Manager

zaknim wrote:

Bud Selig also reiterated strong support for Wilpon today, saying, "He’s everything you’d want in a local owner."

Do we know when the interview took place yet? And getting back to Buddy boy, it makes no sense for him to want a struggling under 100 million dollar payroll team in NY. I don't think the majority of other owners want that either. I really think until the Madoff decision is done, Bud will continue to back Wilpon. But if the settlement comes down and it's a horror show for Wilpon, you'll see Selig change his tune and quick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:23 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

Why should he wait until the Madoff decision? It's clear already we're a mess and today S&P brought down the rating for the CitiField debt to below investment grade with a bad outlook. This could get much worse and if the commish wasn't buddies with Wilpon then this would have been stopped already.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:44 pm 
General Manager

zaknim wrote:
Why should he wait until the Madoff decision? It's clear already we're a mess and today S&P brought down the rating for the CitiField debt to below investment grade with a bad outlook. This could get much worse and if the commish wasn't buddies with Wilpon then this would have been stopped already.

I think it's because if the ruling comes down in Wilpon's favor he will have the confidence to put money back in the team. If it comes down against him, he's not going to have any other choice but to sell.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:50 pm 
Everyday Player

zaknim wrote:

I guess he thinks that what we all want is a broke jackass. Charlie Finley lives!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:02 pm 
Legend of NYFS

AdamRubinESPN Fred Wilpon also called fan attendance the "lifeblood" that will sustain their ownership.
16 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

AdamRubinESPN Fred Wilpon to Wall Street Journal: "I think we're going to be better than you think." #mets
22 minutes ago · reply · retweet ·

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:24 pm 
General Manager

Metro2007 wrote:
AdamRubinESPN Fred Wilpon also called fan attendance the "lifeblood" that will sustain their ownership.
16 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

AdamRubinESPN Fred Wilpon to Wall Street Journal: "I think we're going to be better than you think." #mets
22 minutes ago · reply · retweet ·

Well I hope he says that. But I don't think those comments are going to make fans go out and buy season tickets.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:28 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I wonder what attendance would be if it was reported if the fans don't come out in 2012 the Wilpons 100% would have to sell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:30 pm 
Franchise Player

Metro2007 wrote:
I wonder what attendance would be if it was reported if the fans don't come out in 2012 the Wilpons 100% would have to sell

I would not go anywhere near Citi and Im sure others wouldnt either

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:16 pm 
Everyday Player

Steve The Original wrote:
zaknim wrote:

I think it's because if the ruling comes down in Wilpon's favor he will have the confidence to put money back in the team. If it comes down against him, he's not going to have any other choice but to sell.

You're pretty much spot on with this post and the earlier one in the thread. We won't know anything and neither will the Mets or MLB about the future of the Wilpons as owners until after the Madoff situation is settled. My guess is a favorable to the Mets decision will mean they will be able to meet their obligations and an unfavorable one will likely mean they'll be forced to sell or encouraged to sell by MLB unless there are financial avenues to get out of it which aren't currently apparent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:33 pm 
Prospect

Metro2007 wrote:

you could probably count the number of people on 2 hands who'd go if that came out officially.