MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:05 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 46410
Full story coming soon. Brian Costa just released this quote, though:

Brian Costa @BrianCostaWSJ 48s Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Fred Wilpon: "How could anybody deny that it’s been a challenging time? But I came from nothing. I meet the challenges."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:12 pm 
Online
Veteran Presence

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:14 pm
Posts: 4571
Have to love this Selig. Also, from Costa.

Bud Selig also reiterated strong support for Wilpon today, saying, "He’s everything you’d want in a local owner."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:17 pm 
Online
Manager

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:16 pm
Posts: 6429
zaknim wrote:
Have to love this Selig. Also, from Costa.

Bud Selig also reiterated strong support for Wilpon today, saying, "He’s everything you’d want in a local owner."


Do we know when the interview took place yet? And getting back to Buddy boy, it makes no sense for him to want a struggling under 100 million dollar payroll team in NY. I don't think the majority of other owners want that either. I really think until the Madoff decision is done, Bud will continue to back Wilpon. But if the settlement comes down and it's a horror show for Wilpon, you'll see Selig change his tune and quick.

_________________
#Sandyisabullpengenius


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:23 pm 
Online
Veteran Presence

Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:14 pm
Posts: 4571
Why should he wait until the Madoff decision? It's clear already we're a mess and today S&P brought down the rating for the CitiField debt to below investment grade with a bad outlook. This could get much worse and if the commish wasn't buddies with Wilpon then this would have been stopped already.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:44 pm 
Online
Manager

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:16 pm
Posts: 6429
zaknim wrote:
Why should he wait until the Madoff decision? It's clear already we're a mess and today S&P brought down the rating for the CitiField debt to below investment grade with a bad outlook. This could get much worse and if the commish wasn't buddies with Wilpon then this would have been stopped already.


I think it's because if the ruling comes down in Wilpon's favor he will have the confidence to put money back in the team. If it comes down against him, he's not going to have any other choice but to sell.

_________________
#Sandyisabullpengenius


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:50 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:58 am
Posts: 1148
zaknim wrote:
Have to love this Selig. Also, from Costa.

Bud Selig also reiterated strong support for Wilpon today, saying, "He’s everything you’d want in a local owner."


I guess he thinks that what we all want is a broke jackass. Charlie Finley lives!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:02 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 66374
Location: New York, NY
AdamRubinESPN Fred Wilpon also called fan attendance the "lifeblood" that will sustain their ownership.
16 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

AdamRubinESPN Fred Wilpon to Wall Street Journal: "I think we're going to be better than you think." #mets
22 minutes ago · reply · retweet ·

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)
Pronounced "Dar-No"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:24 pm 
Online
Manager

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:16 pm
Posts: 6429
Metro2007 wrote:
AdamRubinESPN Fred Wilpon also called fan attendance the "lifeblood" that will sustain their ownership.
16 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

AdamRubinESPN Fred Wilpon to Wall Street Journal: "I think we're going to be better than you think." #mets
22 minutes ago · reply · retweet ·


Well I hope he says that. But I don't think those comments are going to make fans go out and buy season tickets.

_________________
#Sandyisabullpengenius


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:28 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 66374
Location: New York, NY
I wonder what attendance would be if it was reported if the fans don't come out in 2012 the Wilpons 100% would have to sell

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)
Pronounced "Dar-No"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:30 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 3970
Metro2007 wrote:
I wonder what attendance would be if it was reported if the fans don't come out in 2012 the Wilpons 100% would have to sell


I would not go anywhere near Citi and Im sure others wouldnt either

_________________
The BIG 3 is bringing their team to a town near you!!!!
SANDY, JP, and PAUL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:16 pm 
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:33 pm
Posts: 1150
Steve The Original wrote:
zaknim wrote:
Why should he wait until the Madoff decision? It's clear already we're a mess and today S&P brought down the rating for the CitiField debt to below investment grade with a bad outlook. This could get much worse and if the commish wasn't buddies with Wilpon then this would have been stopped already.


I think it's because if the ruling comes down in Wilpon's favor he will have the confidence to put money back in the team. If it comes down against him, he's not going to have any other choice but to sell.


You're pretty much spot on with this post and the earlier one in the thread. We won't know anything and neither will the Mets or MLB about the future of the Wilpons as owners until after the Madoff situation is settled. My guess is a favorable to the Mets decision will mean they will be able to meet their obligations and an unfavorable one will likely mean they'll be forced to sell or encouraged to sell by MLB unless there are financial avenues to get out of it which aren't currently apparent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WSJ sitdown with Fred
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:33 pm 
Offline
Prospect

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:54 pm
Posts: 235
Metro2007 wrote:
I wonder what attendance would be if it was reported if the fans don't come out in 2012 the Wilpons 100% would have to sell



you could probably count the number of people on 2 hands who'd go if that came out officially.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


NYFSers Currently Online

Users browsing this forum: acerimusdux, AdsBot [Google], bklyndave69, Chico, chinabox, fonzyfan, Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Hey Marlon, Where's Nemo?, HeyNowHK, It'sOuttaHere, johnnymets176, Majestic-12 [Bot], Metro2007, MookiesSmile, MSNbot Media, newyork134, OlStubbleBeard, pennst92, Steve The Original, tejdog1, The Prodigy, yalikeMetroplitans, zaknim and 96 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND LOCAL NEWS | AA MEETINGS | JOBS NEAR YOU | BOOK REVIEWS | DOCTORS HOSPITALS | CONTRACTORS BUILDERS | FIND CONGRESSMAN | PET FRIENDLY | 4G SEO | FILE TAX | FOR RENT | BOOK REVIEWS | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE | SPORT COURT FITNESS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY | VACATION BEACH | DRUG ALCOHOL REHAB | LOCAL LINKS | INSTALL SOLAR | LAWYER ATTORNEY | HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC | METRO TRANSIT | CAR SHOPS AUTO REPAIR | RENAISSANCE MEDIEVAL | FIND IN | HOTEL IN | JOBS IN | NEWS IN | ATM IN | HOUSE IN | PETS IN | RENT IN | BOOK STORE | FOOD IN | MUSIC IN | SPORTS IN | VACATION RENTAL IN | BUY IN | CONTRACTOR IN | BOOK A TRIP | WEB SITE BY UMPS © 2013