MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Andres Torres Updates
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 am 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
Valdespin has played only one minor league game in the outfield. During winter ball in the Dominican Republic, Licey manager Rafael Landestoy had Valdespin take fly balls in the outfield pregame, but Valdespin never made it into a game.

Landestoy also is the Mets' international field coordinator, but Collins said the winter-league decision to have Valdespin get some outfield exposure was coincidental and not a Mets directive.

"I can play outfield, too, because I practiced in the offseason taking fly balls in left field, center, right," said Valdespin, who hit a combined .294 with 17 homers, 60 RBIs and 37 steals in 55 attempts between Double-A Binghamton and Triple-A Buffalo last season. "I want to play in the big leagues. So no matter where I play, I want to play in the big leagues and help the team."

Mets first base/outfield coach Tom Goodwin said Valdespin had not done any work in Mets camp in the outfield until today's scheduled crash course.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/p ... navailable

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 am 
Legend of NYFS

AdamRubinESPN Terry Collins said he did not yet have a better gauge of Andres Torres' calf. Torres is slated to see a team doctor in Fla. today. #mets 3 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
Quote:
Valdespin has played only one minor league game in the outfield. During winter ball in the Dominican Republic, Licey manager Rafael Landestoy had Valdespin take fly balls in the outfield pregame, but Valdespin never made it into a game.

Landestoy also is the Mets' international field coordinator, but Collins said the winter-league decision to have Valdespin get some outfield exposure was coincidental and not a Mets directive.

"I can play outfield, too, because I practiced in the offseason taking fly balls in left field, center, right," said Valdespin, who hit a combined .294 with 17 homers, 60 RBIs and 37 steals in 55 attempts between Double-A Binghamton and Triple-A Buffalo last season. "I want to play in the big leagues. So no matter where I play, I want to play in the big leagues and help the team."

Mets first base/outfield coach Tom Goodwin said Valdespin had not done any work in Mets camp in the outfield until today's scheduled crash course.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/p ... navailable

There ya go. Gotta love this kid. I'll do anything to be in the bigs... and I am planning for anything to get to the bigs. He'd probably log some innings in at catcher if you mention it to him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:08 pm 
Manager

Time to earn your keep Sandy: Kirk and Valdespin to the Angels for Peter Bourjos!!! DO IT SANDY!!!! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:32 am 
Legend of NYFS

AdamRubinESPN profile

AdamRubinESPN Andres Torres said his calf injury is improving. He won't run today, but predicted a short-term absence. 3 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 am 
NYFS Staff

This is another dimension of the horrible depth on this team.

Torres, whose precipitous decline in production from 2010 to 2011 was attributed to nagging injuries, will feel the need to come back from a strained calf in 2012 Spring Training.

I can almost see the stories now--Torres batting .215 and killing the team in the leadoff spot; TC: "Well, he was dealing with that calf injury the first month-and-a-half of the season. He wasn't close to 100 pct"

"You come to play the game right. I don’t care what the situation is, I don’t care what the standings say, I don’t care about pitch counts. I only care about playing the game correctly."--Terry Collins

--------------------------------------------------------
You can PayPal donations to donations@nyfuturestars.com