MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Congrats to Juan...ESPN's MLB Defensive P.O.M.!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:43 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Lagares has been awesome but I have a hard time equating "running more" with going from 15 career steals in 224 games = 40+ steals. Seems very unrealistic to me.

does he have to steal 40 bases to impress you? what if he can steal 25 or 30? That'd still be a pretty good package considering the defense and the scratch bat. Not to mention that he has stolen 4 in the last 3 games and 5 in the last 5… so evidently they are making it a thing now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:46 am 
Legend of NYFS

Yeah but you said 40+ steals and that's what I was commenting on. If you said 25 I wouldn't have commented. Weird thing to take issue with lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:02 am 
Manager

Things I would like to see from Lagares next year

.280 AVG
.360 OBP (he would have to double his walk rate to get this I believe)
.440 SLG

35+ Doubles
25+ Steals

While the OBP is something that will be difficult for him to do, the 35+ doubles shouldnt, not with his frame (gap2gap power), plate coverage, speed....and the 25+ steals should be a cinch once they figure out how to get him to kick it into high gear quicker, just like he does in the OF

Otherwise, the season will be over before we play the Marlins come monday september 26th

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:09 am 
Legend of NYFS

NeverGiveIn wrote:

.280 AVG
.440 SLG

35+ Doubles
25+ Steals

While the OBP is something that will be difficult for him to do, the 35+ doubles shouldnt, not with his frame (gap2gap power), plate coverage, speed....and the 25+ steals should be a cinch once they figure out how to get him to kick it into high gear quicker, just like he does in the OF

.360 OBP seems really unrealistic. Currently there are 29 players in all of baseball with a .360 OBP or better, of those 29 all but 5 have walk rates at least DOUBLE Lagares. As good as Lagares has been second half his walk rate hasn't really budged second half. To see him suddenly double his walk rate would take an unusual change AND his .347 BABIP maintaining

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:28 am 
Veteran Presence

NeverGiveIn wrote:

.280 AVG
.440 SLG

35+ Doubles
25+ Steals

If Lagares put up an .800 OPS while playing far and away the best centerfield in baseball, what kind of a WAR would he put up? Would he basically be Carlos Gomez? Just to be clear, I would be stunned if he put these numbers up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:30 am 
Legend of NYFS

.280/.360/.440 Lagares with 25+ steals with 2013+2014 defense is an MVP candidate and one of the best players in baseball.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:31 am 
Veteran Presence

Metro2007 wrote:
NeverGiveIn wrote:

.280 AVG
.440 SLG

35+ Doubles
25+ Steals

.360 OBP seems really unrealistic. Currently there are 29 players in all of baseball with a .360 OBP or better, of those 29 all but 5 have walk rates at least DOUBLE Lagares. As good as Lagares has been second half his walk rate hasn't really budged second half. To see him suddenly double his walk rate would take an unusual change AND his .347 BABIP maintaining

Yeah, those numbers would look pretty good on a corner OF, tbh.

If JL can steal 20 or more bases a year, it adds an element to his game that makes him more than a marginal offensive player by offsetting somewhat the lack of true power. The OBP is still a concern, driven by an 81:17 K:BB walk ratio - if he ever figures out how to be more selective, he'll be a true asset offensively. Not sure that's likely, but he seems to work hard at his craft so its possible.

The Far Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:36 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
Yeah but you said 40+ steals and that's what I was commenting on. If you said 25 I wouldn't have commented. Weird thing to take issue with lol

I said "imagine…" Your response made it seem like I said I now expect him to steal 40, when I obviously have no idea how many he can steal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:38 am 
Veteran Presence

Metro2007 wrote:
.280/.360/.440 Lagares with 25+ steals with 2013+2014 defense is an MVP candidate and one of the best players in baseball.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I think we can pencil Juan into centerfield for a while even if he doesn't improve his bat at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:46 am 
Legend of NYFS

Here's the thing - while Lagares' line never looks particularly sexy, he's not a guy that makes me groan when he comes to the plate. Maybe it's that he hits for decent average, but with Juan up there I always feel like something could happen. Anyone else feel this way?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:01 am 
All Star

I like to watch his ABs in fact aside from Grandy and Tejada I like to watch all of their ABs for different reasons

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:03 am 
Legend of NYFS

Granderson AB's resemble Ike Davis AB's