MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Congrats to Juan...ESPN's MLB Defensive P.O.M.!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:06 am 
Legend of NYFS

northway wrote:
Here's the thing - while Lagares' line never looks particularly sexy, he's not a guy that makes me groan when he comes to the plate. Maybe it's that he hits for decent average, but with Juan up there I always feel like something could happen. Anyone else feel this way?

I watch him hoping he will morph into Carlos Gomez

Edited to add: You know with Juan's defense, if he hit like Angel Pagan has, it would be a home run. Looking at Angel's 2010 slash line at the age of 28, .290/.340/.425....who wouldn't be sign up for that?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:26 pm 
Prospect

NeverGiveIn wrote:
Things I would like to see from Lagares next year

.280 AVG
.360 OBP (he would have to double his walk rate to get this I believe)
.440 SLG

35+ Doubles
25+ Steals

While the OBP is something that will be difficult for him to do, the 35+ doubles shouldnt, not with his frame (gap2gap power), plate coverage, speed....and the 25+ steals should be a cinch once they figure out how to get him to kick it into high gear quicker, just like he does in the OF

I'm sorry, but these expectations are completely unrealistic. The following players have an OBP of .360, a SLG of .440 and 10+ steals this season:
Jose Altuve, Michael Brantley, Robinson Cano, Andrew McCutchen, Giancarlos Stanton and Mike Trout.

If Lagares is an .800 OPS player with his defense, he's a top 5 outfielder in baseball, irregardless of stolen bases.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:25 pm 
NYFS Staff

From Lagares, .270/.330/.400 would be a revelation...