MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bobby O out, Figgy possibly in
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Per the DN on the pre-and-post game shows.

I'm a fan - excited to see what Figgy can do. Always liked him as a story and when he gave introspective interviews.

I'm not much of a fan of Bobby O's studio work, though I know a lot of people liked him.

Post subject: Re: Bobby O out, Figgy possibly in
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:06 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Will never get past Figgy acting like a child during one of his starts. Whining and the like... was it against the Brewers?

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in human history

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:09 pm 
Legend of NYFS

tejdog1 wrote:
Will never get past Figgy acting like a child during one of his starts. Whining and the like... was it against the Brewers?

Nats.

Took issue with their coordinated cheering on the bench (think it was noted good guy Elijah Dukes leading the way). Believed he referred to them as "softball girl antics."

Believe more than anything he was calling them out for being a perennial loser, though. Basically saying "look at the standings" at them. I'd really appreciate the ability to say that to someone right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:16 pm 
MVP

Figgy did a good job on MLBN the one time I saw him working.

Although I remember he had an absurd quote one spring training about how he didn't think he had to compete for a roster spot? I think it was him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:23 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Francesser wrote:
Figgy did a good job on MLBN the one time I saw him working.

Although I remember he had an absurd quote one spring training about how he didn't think he had to compete for a roster spot? I think it was him.

I think he complained he got screwed, which IIRC he kind of did. Believe he was in a competition with Niese and Nieve for the 5th starter spot, which they gave to Niese (despite the fact that Figgy pitched the best, but still understood considering standing in the org) but also carried Nieve and guys like Green and Igarashi over Figgy in the pen despite those guys pitching horribly all spring and Figgy showing well (and coming off a good 2009 between AAA/majors).

At the same point, the whole story was he was a Mets fan and so it was kind of heartbreaking to see him get dumped. Remember the whole story with his parents and everything at his first game here?

Quote:
As has been noted earlier, Figueroa’s mother and brothers bought his father, Nelson Sr., a brick at Citi Field to commemorate the pitcher’s first win in a Mets uniform. The family presented Nelson Sr. a picture of the brick as a Father’s Day gift. It reads:

ON 4-11-08 MY SON PITCHED FOR THE METS, AND I DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN.

N. FIGUEORA SR.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:55 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Sorry to see Bobby O go.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:59 pm 
Rookie

I think Bobby O was noted for being honest, but I found him kind of boring and robotic. His style just didn't click with me, I guess.

Figgy definitely has more personality. I like the shakeup.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:16 pm 
Franchise Player

Haha Figgy was great. Id like to see him on the pre game and post game shows.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:51 pm 
Legend of NYFS

ghoti. wrote:
I think Bobby O was noted for being honest, but I found him kind of boring and robotic. His style just didn't click with me, I guess.

Figgy definitely has more personality. I like the shakeup.

Agreed. Always seemed like rehearsed "brutally honest" - he had talking points prepared and dagnabbit they were getting in there regardless of whether they fit or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:16 pm 
NYFS Staff

Given the way he left, I'm surprised to see Figgy (possibly) in the fold.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

chinabox wrote:
Given the way he left, I'm surprised to see Figgy (possibly) in the fold.

He was pretty critical of Omar on the way out- so to that extent guessing he's more blackballed in the MLBPA than here at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:22 pm 
NYFS Staff

Big Rube is on board.

Quote:
AdamRubinESPN: Nelson Figueroa's exit as a Met wasn't graceful, but he is a very good person and will be excellent as analyst. ... Also True New Yorker!