MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Law: Mets #4 farm in baseball/ 6 Mets in top 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:15 pm 
Legend of NYFS

4. New York Mets

They're deep in arms and bats, especially guys who might play in the middle of the diamond or pitch in the top three spots of a major league rotation. They've kept all their prospects while patiently building, but this is probably the year to swap some of their starting pitching prospect depth for a bat.

Post subject: Re: Law: Mets #4 farm in baseball
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
4. New York Mets

They're deep in arms and bats, especially guys who might play in the middle of the diamond or pitch in the top three spots of a major league rotation. They've kept all their prospects while patiently building, but this is probably the year to swap some of their starting pitching prospect depth for a bat.

I think there's some catch-22 in all the pitching talk tho. Some are even ready to admit now that after Noah, Matz, and maybe Molina, there's a big drop off in pitching talent. The idea that the organization is dripping with high level pitching talent like say the Jays or Nats is stretching things a little bit. And I think it's why they aren't considering a deal of any prospect arms at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:56 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Rosario not in @MLBPipeline's top 12 SS prospects #mets

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:03 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
4. New York Mets

I think there's some catch-22 in all the pitching talk tho. Some are even ready to admit now that after Noah, Matz, and maybe Molina, there's a big drop off in pitching talent. The idea that the organization is dripping with high level pitching talent like say the Jays or Nats is stretching things a little bit. And I think it's why they aren't considering a deal of any prospect arms at this point.

That shouldn't be holding up deals when there's also young pitchers like Harvey, Wheeler, deGrom, Montero that have recently graduated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

So the Mets have #6 catching prospect, #4 1b (though I take issue with their 1b rankings in regard to how they pick and choose who is 1b, Josh Bell #1 but Franco "still" a 3b) There are 5+ top prospects at other positions almost certainly moving to 1b, #4 2b, #2 RHP, #8 LHP, nobody placed at SS or 3b, OF hasn't been posted yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

thebull wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
4. New York Mets

That shouldn't be holding up deals when there's also young pitchers like Harvey, Wheeler, deGrom, Montero that have recently graduated.

tell it to them. they only want to move the fringy pitching, not the high upside young arms. risk aversion…..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:21 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metro2007 wrote:
So the Mets have #6 catching prospect, #4 1b (though I take issue with their 1b rankings in regard to how they pick and choose who is 1b, Josh Bell #1 but Franco "still" a 3b) There are 5+ top prospects at other positions almost certainly moving to 1b, #4 2b, #2 RHP, #8 LHP, nobody placed at SS or 3b, OF hasn't been posted yet.

Callis confirmed to Brender that no Mets are in the top 10 in OF.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:

Callis confirmed to Brender that no Mets are in the top 10 in OF.

No shocking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

How about getting rid of some old arms and some old bats?

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:45 pm 
Legend of NYFS

At the risk of being labeled a Debbie Downer here - just for the record, the Braves went from a "Bottom 5" farm (per Law) at the start of the offseason to 6th in 3 months (and I'd expect the 2015 Braves to be no worse than the 2011-2013 "rebuilding" Mets were).

So while we pat this FO on the back for the slow rise in rankings over the last FIVE offseasons, and how they inherited such a mess from Omar and have worked so hard to improve this organization, lets keep in mind what building a farm really means - its Step 1 to a process, and one that is much easier to do than Step 2, which is actually winning baseball games.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:54 pm 
Fan Favorite

HeyNowHK wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
4. New York Mets

I disagree with this assessment to the extent you expect a team to have more than 2 top flight pitching prospects (especially since we recently graduated one). Most teams don't, and the mets have crazy depth of possible No. 3-5 starters at various stages of development (Molina, Montero, Mazzoni, Bowman, Ynoa, Meisner, Fulmer, Whalen, Mateo, Gsellman, L. Taylor) plus others who are young enough that they can take another step forward. That is part of what makes the system so strong, and hopefully we can use some of that depth to acquire the players we need on offense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:57 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
At the risk of being labeled a Debbie Downer here - just for the record, the Braves went from a "Bottom 5" farm (per Law) at the start of the offseason to 6th in 3 months (and I'd expect the 2015 Braves to be no worse than the 2011-2013 "rebuilding" Mets were).

So while we pat this FO on the back for the slow rise in rankings over the last FIVE offseasons, and how they inherited such a mess from Omar and have worked so hard to improve this organization, lets keep in mind what building a farm really means - its Step 1 to a process, and one that is much easier to do than Step 2, which is actually winning baseball games.

I definitely doubted Jon Hart's ability when he stepped in there but so far he's done a great job, imo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next