NYFS ny mets message boards
http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/

Retire it already...
http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41668
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Metro2007 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:11 am ]
Post subject:  Retire it already...

#31!

Makes absolutely no sense it's not retired. If they want to wait for him to make the HOF why not milk the fans for 2 gates vs. 1? Retirement this year, HOF next?

Author:  allstarjim [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Retire it already...

You think Franco will get in? :mrgreen:

Take it for what it's worth... I know there isn't any public PED evidence that Mike was using. But I've talked with a former Met, battery mate of Mike who had a strong feeling he was using. The reason he gave me was that Mike would be the most vocal anti-testing voice in the locker room. He said he did not have a strong opinion on testing, nor did many other players who were doing it the right way. He said "test me, I have nothing to hide," but Mike would go out of his way, really fired up about not being tested.

Author:  Metro2007 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Retire it already...

allstarjim wrote:
You think Franco will get in? :mrgreen:

Take it for what it's worth... I know there isn't any public PED evidence that Mike was using. But I've talked with a former Met, battery mate of Mike who had a strong feeling he was using. The reason he gave me was that Mike would be the most vocal anti-testing voice in the locker room. He said he did not have a strong opinion on testing, nor did many other players who were doing it the right way. He said "test me, I have nothing to hide," but Mike would go out of his way, really fired up about not being tested.



Plenty of suspected/proven PED guys will be honored in various ways. Pettitte anyone? To keep Piazza from having his # retired because of whispers would be truly an embarrassment. If he used he used, so did most of baseball. 0.0 failed tests, 0.0 proof of purchase.

Author:  allstarjim [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Retire it already...

I'm just saying that it's possible among baseball circles, there is more knowledge or suspicion about Mike using. Certainly would be the only explainable reason that he has not received enough votes to get in to this point.

Author:  allstarjim [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Retire it already...

Btw, I'm not saying you are right or wrong, Dan, but I think it falls a little short of an embarrassment to not honor a guy you strongly suspect was a cheater.

I've neved gotten this argument that "they were all doing it." Certainly plenty of players we don't know about used, but clearly not every player was a PED user. And for the guys that were doing it clean, I'm sure it matters to them.

Author:  Metro2007 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Retire it already...

allstarjim wrote:
Btw, I'm not saying you are right or wrong, Dan, but I think it falls a little short of an embarrassment to not honor a guy you strongly suspect was a cheater.

I've neved gotten this argument that "they were all doing it." Certainly plenty of players we don't know about used, but clearly not every player was a PED user. And for the guys that were doing it clean, I'm sure it matters to them.


There is exactly 0 evidence he ever used. I actually believe he did but there is less evidence against Mike Piazza than 100% of the "others" who have been tarnished (along with Bagwell). Sorry I find it really unfair to use "whispers" as a point of evidence (not you), in general. Nobody has ever come out and claimed to have sold to Piazza, nobody has ever claimed to have shot up with Piazza, nobody has ever submitted a notebook with Piazza's name. What damning evidence is going to suddenly arise now?

Author:  northway [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Retire it already...

While we're on the subject of cheaters, can we talk about all the guys in the Hall who used greenies? Or is that not cheating? It's a stupid thing to view in black in white terms when it's so clearly gray.

Author:  newyork134 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Retire it already...

I don't really care if he used to be honest. The amount of people who did it was insane. I'm not saying it was the right move if he did, but I just don't care. Wouldn't make me think differently of him. Retire his number.

Author:  ghoti. [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Retire it already...

I thought this would be another thread abuot Ruben Gotay.

Author:  Spacetraveler [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Retire it already...

Does it really matter if any persons number is retired?

Author:  Metro2007 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Retire it already...

Spacetraveler wrote:
Does it really matter if any persons number is retired?



It's an honor. Does it really matter if a player makes the Hall of Fame?

Author:  tejdog1 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Retire it already...

Metro2007 wrote:
Spacetraveler wrote:
Does it really matter if any persons number is retired?



It's an honor. Does it really matter if a player makes the Hall of Fame?


Not with the braindead, jackass voters these days.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/