NYFS ny mets message boards
http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/

Cecchini write up
http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41671
Page 1 of 3

Author:  Steve The Original [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Cecchini write up

http://gradingonthecurve.com/2015/02/15/mets-prospect-profile-gavin-cecchini-better-think/

Quote:
Scouting Report

Considering the various uncontrollable factors that influence minor league stats, we must examine the scouting report on Cecchini’s raw tools if we want to best assess his major league future.

According to Baseball America’s 2014 Prospect Handbook, Cecchini has a pure swing that should allow him to develop into an above-average hitter with fringe-average power. His speed is merely average, but a plus baseball IQ should allow him to swipe 15 bags over the course of a full season.

Most importantly, Cecchini should not only be able to stick at shortstop, but his good range, strong arm, and quick hands will allow him to be an above-average defender at maturity.

Furthermore, scouts rave about his baseball instincts and competitiveness, which will enable the prospect to maximize his potential and likely elevate his game above what his raw tools might suggest.

Author:  Metro2007 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cecchini write up

Steve The Original wrote:
http://gradingonthecurve.com/2015/02/15/mets-prospect-profile-gavin-cecchini-better-think/

Quote:
Scouting Report

Considering the various uncontrollable factors that influence minor league stats, we must examine the scouting report on Cecchini’s raw tools if we want to best assess his major league future.

According to Baseball America’s 2014 Prospect Handbook, Cecchini has a pure swing that should allow him to develop into an above-average hitter with fringe-average power. His speed is merely average, but a plus baseball IQ should allow him to swipe 15 bags over the course of a full season.

Most importantly, Cecchini should not only be able to stick at shortstop, but his good range, strong arm, and quick hands will allow him to be an above-average defender at maturity.

Furthermore, scouts rave about his baseball instincts and competitiveness, which will enable the prospect to maximize his potential and likely elevate his game above what his raw tools might suggest.

Hard to read a scouting report that relies on somebody elses work (BA) and their 2014 handbook no less. No knock on you Steve but this just seems like typical "read others opinions and make an article". Imagine Keith Law saying "according to BA's 2014 handbook...."

Author:  Metro2007 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cecchini write up

As I suspected... the writer is a 15 year old boy.


Quinn is an avid baseball fan who currently resides in Connecticut. As a sophomore in High School, he is an outfielder for a nearby AAU team. His interest in prospects and player development brought him to Grading on the Curve. Quinn hopes to work for an MLB team someday.

Author:  Metro2007 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cecchini write up

I do give him credit for his grammar and overall ability to write at such a young age but otherwise... Meh x 5000

Author:  northway [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cecchini write up

That teenager writes better than most sportswriters.

Author:  tejdog1 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cecchini write up

He could replace all of the garbage at the NYDN right now. And do infinitely better.

Author:  HeyNowHK [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cecchini write up

Look at the praise one gets just for writing a positive review of a Met prospect...

Author:  Metro2007 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cecchini write up

HeyNowHK wrote:
Look at the praise one gets just for writing a positive review of a Met prospect...



Quoting Baseball America's 2014 handbook doesn't seem like an iffy way of forming a scouting report to you? Especially considering that came out BEFORE the 2014 season? Does John Sickels get away with "Baseball Prospectus loved Matz in their 2014 handbook"?

Author:  northway [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cecchini write up

Metro2007 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Look at the praise one gets just for writing a positive review of a Met prospect...



Quoting Baseball America's 2014 handbook doesn't seem like an iffy way of forming a scouting report to you? Especially considering that came out BEFORE the 2014 season? Does John Sickels get away with "Baseball Prospectus loved Matz in their 2014 handbook"?


I hold a high school sportswriter to the same standards I hold a high schooler writing a history report, in which case he's golden.

Author:  Metro2007 [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cecchini write up

Northway,
In fairness to me (and no knock on Steve at all) this article/writer wasn't portrayed as "a HS sophomore kid writes about Cecchini using online sources). I wouldn't have bothered checking his credentials at all if he didn't quote a 2014 BA scouting report vs. using his "own" opinion.

Author:  northway [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cecchini write up

Metro2007 wrote:
Northway,
In fairness to me (and no knock on Steve at all) this article/writer wasn't portrayed as "a HS sophomore kid writes about Cecchini using online sources). I wouldn't have bothered checking his credentials at all if he didn't quote a 2014 BA scouting report vs. using his "own" opinion.


I knew what you were saying.

Author:  LTKfRGM [ Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cecchini write up

It's not really related to the above, but I think Cecchini could be the next met to break out. He showed flashes last year, mixed with ugly stretches, and I've always liked his low K rate, and he seems to be gradually adding a little power. Given his age and expected development, he could rise the charts next year.

Had slow starts both in Savannah and St. Lucie and in Savannah he had the brief injury that kept him out a week, May 17th, just as he was getting hot. It's not quite as pronounced as Nimmo's great start and great finish with a large, injury plagued middle in 2013, but there's elements of that going on.

Cheech's last 38 games in St. Lucie: July 23-Aug 31:

.266 .364 .430 .793 - and a .793 OPS might not make you want to stand an applaud, but he did it with a .263 babip. 4 homers, 21 walks, just 14 Ks 154 PAs. That's a respectable finish.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/