MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fangraphs Top 200 Prospects
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:16 am 
Rookie

Kiley McDaniel published this morning.

We had 8 guys in the FV 50+ group which all had paragraph blurbs written on them. Also another 2 in the 45 group which made the top 200.

Here are the 8 who made the 50+ group:

19. Noah Syndergaard
40. Kevin Plawecki
60. Amed Rosario
65. Steven Matz
77. Michael Conforto
85. Brandon Nimmo
98. Marcos Molina
109. Dilson Herrera

45+ group (no rankings in this section):

Rafael Montero
Dominic Smith

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fang ... pect-list/

Post subject: Re: Fangraphs Top 200 Prospects
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:18 am 
Rookie

Our 10 total prospects were only 1 behind both the Cubs and the Braves. I don't think Kiley has officially ranked the Farm Systems yet but I am pretty sure we are #4 or #5 behind the usual suspects.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:00 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Wow McDaniel LOVES Schwarber. So much for "cheap pick".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:08 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

Kind of interesting he changed his Mets rankings since he did the system writeup; he moved Matz up from 7th behind Conforto, Nimmo, and Dilson, up to 4th on this list.

Also Dilson moved down from 5th to behind even Molina, who rose ahead of Montero and Smith who he was previously behind.

Must have gotten some more Matz and Molina praise and some Dilson doubts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:33 am 
Rookie

richiel1 wrote:
Kind of interesting he changed his Mets rankings since he did the system writeup; he moved Matz up from 7th behind Conforto, Nimmo, and Dilson, up to 4th on this list.

Also Dilson moved down from 5th to behind even Molina, who rose ahead of Montero and Smith who he was previously behind.

Must have gotten some more Matz and Molina praise and some Dilson doubts.

He also bumped Noah down from a 65 FV to a 60, I think a lot of that change was due to the feedback some scouts had on Steven Matz and that they liked him even MORE than Noah (this was likely a small minority but nonetheless).

He said he would run groupings of closely ranked prospects by his industry sources and ask them if anyone looked out of place. This allowed him to get a better gauge on where guys stacked up and if anyone was "overvalued" from his original assessment. Said many of the early write-ups had guys who moved as he got more information doing additional farm write-ups.

I'm not sure if similar information is divulged for the major prospect evaluators in terms of how they create and alter their prospect rankings or system write-ups but I really enjoy the transparency that Kiley has provided as a glimpse into the process.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:07 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

I think Buecerra, Bowman, Urena, Reynolds are on that level. Some more will emerge, forgotten past top prospects, some DSL guys, some lesser known guys.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Law's "love" for Bowman surprised me a bit. I like Bowman, just didn't seem like a guy Law would like, though Law does love him some "athletic" pitchers.