MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matz article
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:34 am 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
“I’m just happy that I’m healthy and able to make every start,” Matz, 23, said Sunday at Tradition Field. “That’s really what I try to focus on. I don’t really focus on all of the other stuff that everyone says.”

Matz might wind up as the last of many gifts left behind by Omar Minaya, whom the Mets dismissed as their general manager in the fall of 2010. Minaya selected Matz, out of Ward Melville High School in East Setauket, as his first pick in the 2009 amateur draft, in the second round;. The Mets sacrificed their first-round choice that year to sign compensation free agent Francisco Rodriguez.

That Matz didn’t throw his first professional pitch until 2012 reflects his challenging journey to this point. Matz underwent Tommy John surgery in May 2010, and he still was experiencing soreness nearly two years later. Dr. David Altchek, chairman of the Mets’ medical staff, had performed the original procedure on Matz and told him, in the spring of 2012, that he didn’t need another operation, his pain notwithstanding. Matz went to see noted orthopedist James Andrews for a second opinion.

“He said there was a chance I would need a second Tommy John,” Matz recalled of his meeting with Andrews. “But he said it’s tough to see an MRI [exam] after someone has already had surgery because of the scar tissue. He said, ‘Go out there and just throw. It’s either going to tear or something’s going to break up. You’re going to know if you just go out there and just let it go.’

http://nypost.com/2015/02/23/why-mets-g ... contender/