MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2017 International Signings Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8355
Like- say, in 2004 the Mets only had 600k left in their pool to sign an IFA but wanted F-Mart badly.


Soler was a FA they also wanted and had no bonus restriction. So they agree to give Soler 3 mil but also throw in an additional 2 mil (wink, wink) that would go to F-Mart.

Soler signs for 5 mil, F-Mart signs for 600k in the official books.

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 International Signings Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 12390
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
Daaaarryyl wrote:
They funneled money through agents (who had other prospects that they overpaid) to get them the extra cash.


A certain Braves board seems to believe this signing was used to give money (under the table) to other prospects:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/104146914 ... year-deal/


Ah, gotcha, and Bae was rescinded so they didn't get to sign him. (We are talking about Bae right for the top Korean prospect?)

_________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 International Signings Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 81466
Location: New York, NY
? It was reported when they signed him they gave him 300K, it's since been revealed he got 900K, he was one of the under the table signings that was disallowed but the idea he "only" got 300K and thus couldn't be that intriguing ended up false. The Braves "gave" him 900K which is a huge number for a Korean IFA.

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Instagram- @Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 International Signings Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:44 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 12390
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
Metro2007 wrote:
? It was reported when they signed him they gave him 300K, it's since been revealed he got 900K, he was one of the under the table signings that was disallowed but the idea he "only" got 300K and thus couldn't be that intriguing ended up false. The Braves "gave" him 900K which is a huge number for a Korean IFA.


I didn't realize he was one of the 13 who they lost - that's why the $300 / $900 threw me. I just wasn't up on the latest news.

_________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 International Signings Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:49 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 81466
Location: New York, NY
LTKfRGM wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
? It was reported when they signed him they gave him 300K, it's since been revealed he got 900K, he was one of the under the table signings that was disallowed but the idea he "only" got 300K and thus couldn't be that intriguing ended up false. The Braves "gave" him 900K which is a huge number for a Korean IFA.


I didn't realize he was one of the 13 who they lost - that's why the $300 / $900 threw me. I just wasn't up on the latest news.



The Braves were said to have been especially brazen in such practices for years. In September, they signed a coveted shortstop from South Korea, Ji-Hwan Bae, for the $300,000 minimum, with a side agreement to pay him an extra $600,000. Mezquita, Rojas, Sucre and Bae were among the 13 players declared free agents on Tuesday, though Bae’s contract had not become effective.

NYTIMES

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Instagram- @Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 International Signings Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:01 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 81466
Location: New York, NY
Jesse Sanchez‏Verified account
@JesseSanchezMLB
15h15 hours ago
More
Another former Braves prospect has found a new team. Source: Catcher Abrahan Gutierrez has a $550K deal with the Phillies. Kevin Maitan (Angels) and Yefri Del Rosario (Royals) are also off the market. @MLBPipeline

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Instagram- @Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 International Signings Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:25 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 12390
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
I'm guessing most of the Mets 2018 money is tied up in the two top guys mentioned a few pages up. The mets seem to have done well 2017 & 2018 signing periods (knock on wood).

_________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 International Signings Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 am 
Offline
Prospect

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:29 pm
Posts: 294
23 guys signed with the Mets during this international signing period. - Jacob Resnick

https://mobile.twitter.com/tpgmets/stat ... gr%5Eother


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 International Signings Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:12 pm
Posts: 38651
Location: Panic City
stevereiff wrote:
23 guys signed with the Mets during this international signing period. - Jacob Resnick

https://mobile.twitter.com/tpgmets/stat ... gr%5Eother




2001 birthdates.

Remember when 2001 was Science Fiction?


8)

_________________
Whatever.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 International Signings Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:33 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 12390
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
R Nitelight wrote:
stevereiff wrote:
23 guys signed with the Mets during this international signing period. - Jacob Resnick

https://mobile.twitter.com/tpgmets/stat ... gr%5Eother




2001 birthdates.

Remember when 2001 was Science Fiction?


8)


I remember when 1984 was future dystopia.

_________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 International Signings Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:28 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8355
LTKfRGM wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
stevereiff wrote:
23 guys signed with the Mets during this international signing period. - Jacob Resnick

https://mobile.twitter.com/tpgmets/stat ... gr%5Eother




2001 birthdates.

Remember when 2001 was Science Fiction?


8)


I remember when 1984 was future dystopia.



When I was a kid, Prince's "1999" came out and we would wonder what the world would be like in 1999.

Robots and flying cars maybe...

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Disco Ball, Google Adsense [Bot], MarkJohnson>You, slugox and 110 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists