MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:08 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:56 pm
Posts: 29575
Location: Danbury, CT
They're not trading deGrom, nor should they even remotely consider it.

_________________
MPH on Twitter

Terry Collins cost the Mets a World Series title.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 8128
Location: Land of the Nats and Redskins
Please no.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:24 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:36 pm
Posts: 6504
stevereiff wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
I'm just shocked 'other' teams have interest in him.



I'm not shocked.... there is a glaring SP need on contending teams...


For an older than dirt RHP throwing up meatballs and even losing his control at times this year? I get the Mets for clubhouse/recent success but still.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:41 pm 
Offline
NYFS Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:17 pm
Posts: 5661
Maybe he is mulling over which family he wants to be closer to for the next 3 months.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:03 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:56 pm
Posts: 29575
Location: Danbury, CT
dragonfly wrote:
Maybe he is mulling over which family he wants to be closer to for the next 3 months.


IMO he should start a third one far far away from NY

_________________
MPH on Twitter

Terry Collins cost the Mets a World Series title.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:08 pm 
Offline
Veteran Presence

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:25 pm
Posts: 4504
He's been very unlucky this year (.360) and I'm guessing teams think his lack of success is playing in that bandbox in Atlanta. All of his stuff rates the same as last year.

_________________
eternal optimist

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:32 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59192
Mogriffjr wrote:
He's been very unlucky this year (.360) and I'm guessing teams think his lack of success is playing in that bandbox in Atlanta. All of his stuff rates the same as last year.


His K rate is down, his walk rate is up (worst in each since 2009, when he was terrible).

His batted ball profile is largely the same, but when you're giving more hitters free passes, and putting more balls in play, thats usually a recipe that leads to worse results, even if you regress the HR rate.

The ERA fluctuation is almost certainly too high, but the ERA predictors basically follow the trend of him worsening by ~half a run every year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:41 pm 
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11661
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
TomInNC wrote:
Let me just say - NO


I get that. I really really do. But at the same time, even though he's been bad this year, inning eater and spot starter. There's a big enough hole in our pitching staff that Colon might just fit.

Kinda like this

Image

On a more serious note, to me, it's all about the 40 man roster move that makes room for him, but I'd be OK with him coming back. Small risk and some upside.

_________________
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara

I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018). I know an underdog when I see one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:47 pm 
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11661
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Mogriffjr wrote:
He's been very unlucky this year (.360) and I'm guessing teams think his lack of success is playing in that bandbox in Atlanta. All of his stuff rates the same as last year.


His K rate is down, his walk rate is up (worst in each since 2009, when he was terrible).

His batted ball profile is largely the same, but when you're giving more hitters free passes, and putting more balls in play, thats usually a recipe that leads to worse results, even if you regress the HR rate.

The ERA fluctuation is almost certainly too high, but the ERA predictors basically follow the trend of him worsening by ~half a run every year.


If there's a 70% chance that he'll continue to be terrible and a 30% chance that, with a tweek and a little time he can get mostly back to last year, it's worth taking a chance on him for the 30% chance of payoff. I'm not saying I'm high on him, but we need another starter/inning eater. Who's he going to take innings from, Pill and Montero? I'm OK with that. And I'm not saying give PIll and Montero no time, but I'm OK with mixing Colon in there to see if he can help.

It'd be different if we still had Ynoa & Verrett . . . but what are ya gunna do. That's water over the bridge as they say.

_________________
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara

I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018). I know an underdog when I see one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:48 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Fan Favorite

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 1695
NO upside. but a few chuckles in an otherwise crappy season.

I say sign him and cut loose Neil Ramirez or demote Montero


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:54 pm 
Offline
General Manager

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 7096
There's no upside. He's finally pitching to his age. Guys don't last forever just because they're fun. Keep running random guys out there if you need to but I've seen this show before.

_________________
Sell EVERYTHING. Sell Sell Sell
Yes this is necessary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: #COLONWATCH
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:59 pm 
User avatar
Offline
General Manager

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 7220
I really don't understand the (manufactured?) outrage about bringing him in. You're gonna need a starter once Wheeler hits his limit. Its really not a big deal if its Colon since the team is going nowhere and he's not blocking anyone by eating innings in August and September.

_________________
Escaped from Elba.
Original drummer for the Wilpons Are Cheap.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Asbury Mark, jamaicanjetfan, jdawginsc, Mavericknyc1980, RedStorm, underdog and 110 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists