MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:47 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21401
Location: NYC
Metro2007 wrote:
Jeff P said he has James #2 prospect in the 2016 class so he has him ahead of either Alonso or Dunn.

Wow. Who was #1?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:35 am 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 80906
Location: New York, NY
HeyNowHK wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
Jeff P said he has James #2 prospect in the 2016 class so he has him ahead of either Alonso or Dunn.

Wow. Who was #1?



He didn't say which is what prompted my comment. I was commenting on how bad the early returns of the 2016 Mets draft class have been and he in summary basically agreed and that James would be #2 in that class as of now.

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)
Pronounced "Dar-No"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:04 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11810
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
Hope I'm not overstating the obvious, but the big problem to the 2016 class (other than Dunn and Alonso) is health. Planck, Kay, Cleveland, Humphreys, Tiberi, Woodmansee could all end up being good picks. They just need to get healthy and start playing, but it could still be a solid draft.

_________________
Sandy's latest statement about the Mets: "We're going to outspend the Marlins". At least he's honest.

I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018). I know an underdog when I see one and oh-boy, this team is full blown Vegas 50 to 1 long-shot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:19 am 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 80906
Location: New York, NY
LTKfRGM wrote:
Hope I'm not overstating the obvious, but the big problem to the 2016 class (other than Dunn and Alonso) is health. Planck, Kay, Cleveland, Humphreys, Tiberi, Woodmansee could all end up being good picks. They just need to get healthy and start playing, but it could still be a solid draft.



So my statement remains factually correct no? Early returns aren't good?

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)
Pronounced "Dar-No"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:28 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 80906
Location: New York, NY
Clay Ramsey‏ @ClayRMetsFan 7m7 minutes ago
More
Replying to @nymets945 @WexlerRules
And Adon is most likely out for the year

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)
Pronounced "Dar-No"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:12 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:09 pm
Posts: 6681
I don't think Peter Alonso is a "problem" anymore with the 2016 draft.

If he qualified he would be 4th in slugging and 7th in OPS in the FSL

with 12 homers in 50 games he would be on a 30+ homer pace over a full season (he is 5th in home runs in the league despite having significantly LESS at bats than anyone in the top 10.)

I think any hit he took in his prospect status in the early season when he struggled has rebounded fully.

I can see people talking up the possibility of an Alonso/Dom platoon at first by mid season next year

Dunn on the other hand ... has been a problem and disappointment so far ..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:21 pm 
User avatar
Offline
NYFS Staff

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:37 am
Posts: 23396
Location: charleston, sc
bygranddesign wrote:
I don't think Peter Alonso is a "problem" anymore with the 2016 draft.

If he qualified he would be 4th in slugging and 7th in OPS in the FSL

with 12 homers in 50 games he would be on a 30+ homer pace over a full season (he is 5th in home runs in the league despite having significantly LESS at bats than anyone in the top 10.)

I think any hit he took in his prospect status in the early season when he struggled has rebounded fully.

I can see people talking up the possibility of an Alonso/Dom platoon at first by mid season next year

Dunn on the other hand ... has been a problem and disappointment so far ..


I think I'd work Dunn from the bullpen for the rest of the year. Let him work his mechanics on a consistent usage pattern (let's say one day on, one day off).

_________________
"The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." Steven Biko


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:25 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11810
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
Metro2007 wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
Hope I'm not overstating the obvious, but the big problem to the 2016 class (other than Dunn and Alonso) is health. Planck, Kay, Cleveland, Humphreys, Tiberi, Woodmansee could all end up being good picks. They just need to get healthy and start playing, but it could still be a solid draft.



So my statement remains factually correct no? Early returns aren't good?


I never meant to imply that your statement was incorrect, only that when the players get healthy, it could look very different. There's still a fair bit of talent in the draft.

I feel about Dunn Similar to how I felt about Dom Smith's first year (0 homers through his first 4 months) in Savannah. Dom didn't impress, but it was early.

_________________
Sandy's latest statement about the Mets: "We're going to outspend the Marlins". At least he's honest.

I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018). I know an underdog when I see one and oh-boy, this team is full blown Vegas 50 to 1 long-shot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:35 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11810
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
bygranddesign wrote:
I don't think Peter Alonso is a "problem" anymore with the 2016 draft.

If he qualified he would be 4th in slugging and 7th in OPS in the FSL

with 12 homers in 50 games he would be on a 30+ homer pace over a full season (he is 5th in home runs in the league despite having significantly LESS at bats than anyone in the top 10.)

I think any hit he took in his prospect status in the early season when he struggled has rebounded fully.

I can see people talking up the possibility of an Alonso/Dom platoon at first by mid season next year

Dunn on the other hand ... has been a problem and disappointment so far ..


An Alonso/Dom platoon would be weird. 2 guys who can mostly just play first is too limited for a 25 man roster. Besides, Dom can platoon with Wilmer or TJ just fine next year, unless you want both of those guys starting - which would be odd.

No reason to rush Alonso. There are questions about his swing and whether it'll work in the majors. He's got the strength, but he might not have the bat speed and the glove might be below average too.

_________________
Sandy's latest statement about the Mets: "We're going to outspend the Marlins". At least he's honest.

I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018). I know an underdog when I see one and oh-boy, this team is full blown Vegas 50 to 1 long-shot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:36 pm 
User avatar
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm
Posts: 80906
Location: New York, NY
But Dom was young even by HS pick standards. Dunn is age appropriate (turning 22 in September) so while one could say "Dom may not hit for power until his early 20's) there isn't the same expected "growth" from Dunn. He's been bad by any reasonable measure.

_________________
Twit-@Wexlerrules
Staunch anti-BADP (Batting average dependent players)
Pronounced "Dar-No"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:38 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Practically A Wilpon

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm
Posts: 9255
Metro2007 wrote:
But Dom was young even by HS pick standards. Dunn is age appropriate (turning 22 in September) so while one could say "Dom may not hit for power until his early 20's) there isn't the same expected "growth" from Dunn. He's been bad by any reasonable measure.

That makes Dunn young for college standards too.

Not to take away from your point, which I do agree with.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minor Leagues 7/20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:12 pm
Posts: 38337
Location: Panic City
Metro2007 wrote:
Clay Ramsey‏ @ClayRMetsFan 7m7 minutes ago
More
Replying to @nymets945 @WexlerRules
And Adon is most likely out for the year



My breakout picks of Adon and Matt Cleveland not looking so good here.

Really like to know what happened here.

1 great game and then drop the mic.


8)

_________________
Whatever.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Joefrompgh, Kevin From Spotswood, Metro2007, Metsfan980, SNESandMets, Spacetraveler and 119 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists