MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 74  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 lineup?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:11 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
I'm surprised that 1B hasn't been more of a conversation. This looks like a real potential problem coming... making no long term judgments, but Dom Smith looks pretty overmatched. He's had 168 PAs now and is sporting a .266 wOBA.

So.... what are thinking they are going to do there??
a) Roll the dice on Dom
b) Start off with some sort of hedge or position share including Dom
c) send Dom back for more marinating and sign a 1Bman presumably to a short term deal?
d) none of the above (ie: go with some internal option)

With Wilmer able to play some 1st base, and TJ as a solid reserve at 2B/3B, I'm not concerned about Dom. If he needs more time next year, they have options and Wilmer at 1B isn't the worst thing in the world.

While there is some affinity for Wilmer out there and some thought that his bat plays at 2B, we have to acknowledge that he would be a bottom tier 1Bman. Wilmer's .780/.790 OPS is well below average there. I know as backup plan at 1B has been a popular meme, but I think we have to begin to acknowledge that the Dom/Wilmer plan is setting the team up for a very low ceiling at 1B.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:22 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:

Goldschmidt's a free agent in 2020 and Walker might be the guy the Diamondbacks are looking to replace him. Why would they trade him? I also think he's another 1B/AAA type. If we're going to replace Dom we need an MLB ready type.

If the D'backs want to move Walker I'd trade for him cause it never hurts to have options, but I don't see why they'd want to move him.

Because Goldy is under contract for 2 more seasons and Walker is already 26. They won't be able to keep him locked in a box for 2 more seasons. They may try him in LF but they are likely going to have to do something with him. I'm not saying they are going to give him away for nothing. I'm assuming he has options.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:43 am 
Veteran Presence

TomInNC wrote:
Why not just go with Lugo rather than Dickey?

Total oversight on my part, but maybe because I assume Lugo's elbow will not last. I'd be fine with that, though you're then back to relying on Matz/Lugo/Wheeler/Harvey for three spots in your rotation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:44 am 
Veteran Presence

The Juice wrote:
I feel like not giving Jose Reyes $8M is a better move, but maybe I'm in the minority on that one.

Why are you writing in Callahan for a spot and then lumping in Sewald with terrible/unproven guys like Smoker, Smith, etc.? Sewald's ERA might not be pretty, but the peripherals indicate he should be an OK middle reliever in the 6th or 7th inning. He's not going to light the world on fire, but certainly he's proven more than Callahan, no?

But all that aside, what makes you think the Mets are going to spend $50M this offseason? I'm just not seeing it.

I'd be fine not bringing Reyes back. I just feel like it's inevitable.

Good point on Callahan vs. Sewald. I suppose I pencil neither of them in, really. The last three spots should be a competition if they sign someone like Cishek.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 am 
Legend of NYFS

TomInNC wrote:
Why not just go with Lugo rather than Dickey?

I assume they aren't at all comfortable with his health. Also if they are looking to add an "innings eater," as rumored, I think Dickey would be a good choice. This staff has more holes than swiss cheese. Any healthy arms are welcome. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Location: Contemplating the meaning of life, and why god made me a Mets fan
Reyes and Cabrera playing everyday again is the stuff nightmares are made of. I fully expect it to happen. Can’t stand this team

Rich Coutinho wrote:
When I hear Yankee fans whine I always laugh. It is like the people who invented the color blue complaining about life

RIP uapeople

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

Goldschmidt's a free agent in 2020 and Walker might be the guy the Diamondbacks are looking to replace him. Why would they trade him? I also think he's another 1B/AAA type. If we're going to replace Dom we need an MLB ready type.

If the D'backs want to move Walker I'd trade for him cause it never hurts to have options, but I don't see why they'd want to move him.

Because Goldy is under contract for 2 more seasons and Walker is already 26. They won't be able to keep him locked in a box for 2 more seasons. They may try him in LF but they are likely going to have to do something with him. I'm not saying they are going to give him away for nothing. I'm assuming he has options.

Walker may be out of options, having used one in 2015, 2016 and 2017. His transaction history is kind of funny. He was claimed 3 times last off-season but that was with an option remaining for 2017. Now he doesn't have options remaining.

So, you're right, they might not keep him, but I have a tough time seeing how he makes us better. I'd rather Wilmer get ABs than Walker.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:45 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Sure, I realize there is some "Reno" baked into Walker's 2017 numbers, but it's still 75 XBHs in 133 games. Just as important as the added power is cutting down on his Ks. He may have actually established a new level.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:44 pm 
All Star

I'm not souring on Dom so quickly but I'd take Hosmer over Moose if we are spending Fred's money

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:18 am 
Practically A Wilpon

If there's anyone that's going to replace Goldy it's Pavin Smith.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:19 am 
Practically A Wilpon

MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
I'm not souring on Dom so quickly but I'd take Hosmer over Moose if we are spending Fred's money

Why not neither?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:36 am 
Legend of NYFS

ilikeike29 wrote:
MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:

Why not neither?

Because the only way to show the true depth of our Metsian self-loathing is to sign one of the guys who beat us in the World Series?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 74  Next