Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Re: 2018 lineup?

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:29 am

bygranddesign wrote:Between AAA and the MLB, Dom has now put up 25 homers this season

Dom is just now entering his prime ... so I think 25+ home run power is a given.

Which I think is amazing considering fans here were so panicked only a year ago that he would never have the home run power for 1st base.

He'll be in his prime in 2021.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:57 am

Smith has now shown he can hit for average and has a power stroke. Now the work will be balancing the two.

Unless you expect him to be a finished product before he gets to 200 MLB ABs. People here seem to criticize Smith quickly but sure have been quite regarding Rosario's game which has more holes than you'd expect from a Top 5 overall prospect.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:51 am

HeyNowHK wrote:
ilikeike29 wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:Between AAA and the MLB, Dom has now put up 25 homers this season

Dom is just now entering his prime ... so I think 25+ home run power is a given.

Which I think is amazing considering fans here were so panicked only a year ago that he would never have the home run power for 1st base.

He's gotten the latter 9 by completely selling out for power. 25 HR power isn't very cool if you have a .250 OBP.

Yeah it's odd that you see some fixated on a HR tally. There will be more to judging Smith than how many HRs he hits.

The very SPECIFIC argument against Dom was that he wasn't going to hit for enough power to be a first basemen

That's what I was commenting on

If you want to change the argument that he now won't be able to hit for enough average / OBP to be a good first basemen

Then you will most likely be at the losing end of that argument as well

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:16 pm

bygranddesign wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
ilikeike29 wrote:He's gotten the latter 9 by completely selling out for power. 25 HR power isn't very cool if you have a .250 OBP.

Yeah it's odd that you see some fixated on a HR tally. There will be more to judging Smith than how many HRs he hits.

The very SPECIFIC argument against Dom was that he wasn't going to hit for enough power to be a first basemen

That's what I was commenting on

If you want to change the argument that he now won't be able to hit for enough average / OBP to be a good first basemen

Then you will most likely be at the losing end of that argument as well

Maybe. I was just agreeing with comment made by ilike. He'll be in trouble if he has to sell out for the power output. Actually I'm a little more bullish on him than i was when he first came up but it's not because he has 9 dingers. I like his swing, but i'm really concerned about his conditioning. Looks like that's going to be an ongoing issue with him.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:20 pm

Let me know when he can hit for 25 homers and hit for average/OBP at the same time. He can do one or the other at various times but not both. At least he hasn't done that yet.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:29 pm

ilikeike29 wrote:Let me know when he can hit for 25 homers and hit for average/OBP at the same time. He can do one or the other at various times but not both. At least he hasn't done that yet.

Let me know when his developmental stage as a player has passed. If you're expecting the finished product in less than 200 AB that's a mistake.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:35 pm

ilikeike29 wrote:Let me know when he can hit for 25 homers and hit for average/OBP at the same time. He can do one or the other at various times but not both. At least he hasn't done that yet.

Let me know when we've assembled a team that requires him to.

Until then all he has to do is play, learn, and get comfortable.

8)

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:44 am

Sherman:

“But the idea of money being no object with the Mets probably makes their fans laugh more than “Curb Your Enthusiasm.” Money is an object. The payroll is not going up. The expectation is it is going down. One person familiar with the team’s thinking believes it could drop as much as $20 million to, say, the $135 million range.”

That’s about $25m available to get a bullpen arm, infielder, outfielder and veteran starter. Pathetic.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:42 am

Ralf wrote:Sherman:

“But the idea of money being no object with the Mets probably makes their fans laugh more than “Curb Your Enthusiasm.” Money is an object. The payroll is not going up. The expectation is it is going down. One person familiar with the team’s thinking believes it could drop as much as $20 million to, say, the $135 million range.”

That’s about $25m available to get a bullpen arm, infielder, outfielder and veteran starter. Pathetic.

Good. Force the FO to find younger cheaper solutions.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:49 am

They're not signing a bullpen arm me thinks, and they might only need a backup OF. Infield . . . jury is still out but I do think they need to spend on pitching. The problem. A whole bunch of teams plan to spend on pitching.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:10 am

HeyNowHK wrote:

This FO isn't creative enough. They're far more likely to find older, worse solutions.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 am

HeyNowHK wrote:

So you expect a front office that you routinely criticize for being unimaginative to all of a sudden make all these amazing trades/signings for young talent that will also be above average major league players and lead us to the postseason? Hellooooo cognitive dissonance.
Post a reply