MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:05 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21116
Location: NYC
as this game gets out of hand...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:21 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21116
Location: NYC
Done.

The rare Friday off day coming up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:25 pm 
Offline
General Manager

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 7102
Send deGrom home for the year and wrap his arm in bubble wrap.

_________________
Sell EVERYTHING. Sell Sell Sell
Yes this is necessary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:37 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 8128
Location: Land of the Nats and Redskins
TomInNC wrote:
Sent deGrom home for the year and wrap his arm in bubble wrap.


Yes, this. I was literally coming to post the exact thing (slightly different wording :lol: ).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:47 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59192
DeGrom had mentioned wanting to get to 200 Innings as a goal for the season. I know its risking it for no reason, but its also kind of crappy to have the teams collective failure around his otherwise spectacular season be why he doesn't get it.

I might give him 3 more turns, see if he can do it, and then shut him down (basically would be like 3-4 turns early).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:23 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:31 am
Posts: 3047
Location: Lewisberry, PA
Anyone see the gun when Familia was out there?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:32 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:09 pm
Posts: 6681
I know as fans we want to preserve him for next year

But deGrom has an individual career he needs to keep in my mind.

Pitching a full season -- getting to 200+ innings are good important individual milestones. These are things that we as fans look at when we evaluate a pitcher

If I'm Collins, no need to ever push him in a start. Give him the hook early if he is struggling or lopsided games. Don't push him over 100 pitches. Maybe skip a start or two.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:11 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:53 am
Posts: 645
I shut off the TV during the last two innings of this game. Yup, I just manned up and did it, cold turkey, just like that. I'm here to report that it's possible and that life does indeed go on. Hope this helps another addict somewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:30 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:36 pm
Posts: 6505
bygranddesign wrote:
I know as fans we want to preserve him for next year

But deGrom has an individual career he needs to keep in my mind.

Pitching a full season -- getting to 200+ innings are good important individual milestones. These are things that we as fans look at when we evaluate a pitcher

If I'm Collins, no need to ever push him in a start. Give him the hook early if he is struggling or lopsided games. Don't push him over 100 pitches. Maybe skip a start or two.


deGrom is basically the one player left I trust not to go all macho and put himself above the team and pitch hurt in meaningless games.

That said if ANYONE on this team deserves to call a shot about wanting to pitch it's Jake. The guy's getting no money for being an ace pitcher, has been a good soldier and for the moment is the only guy in the rotation that hasn't had a serious breakdown in recent years. I also like the fact he's taking pride in IP and not just looking for a K number or a wins number.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:41 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21116
Location: NYC
AllWrightNow wrote:
bygranddesign wrote:
I know as fans we want to preserve him for next year

But deGrom has an individual career he needs to keep in my mind.

Pitching a full season -- getting to 200+ innings are good important individual milestones. These are things that we as fans look at when we evaluate a pitcher

If I'm Collins, no need to ever push him in a start. Give him the hook early if he is struggling or lopsided games. Don't push him over 100 pitches. Maybe skip a start or two.


deGrom is basically the one player left I trust not to go all macho and put himself above the team and pitch hurt in meaningless games.

That said if ANYONE on this team deserves to call a shot about wanting to pitch it's Jake. The guy's getting no money for being an ace pitcher, has been a good soldier and for the moment is the only guy in the rotation that hasn't had a serious breakdown in recent years. I also like the fact he's taking pride in IP and not just looking for a K number or a wins number.

Speaking of Jake and $, do the Mets finally sit down with him and discuss an extension or just let him ride thru Arbitration? He's got 3 years to go. He might be looking at $40M over the next 3 seasons. Got to wonder if he might be willing to go 5/65M or something of that nature.

He's seen so many pitchers go down that he could be motivated to take a little less to get some security beyond the 3 yrs. And while the Mets have seen the same pitcher attrition, there has to be a rate at which locking him up becomes attractive to them I'd think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:17 pm 
Offline
General Manager

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 7102
Why would he add two years at no raise from his arb years?

_________________
Sell EVERYTHING. Sell Sell Sell
Yes this is necessary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: IGT - Aug 31 - Mets vs. Reds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:20 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21116
Location: NYC
TomInNC wrote:
Why would he add two years at no raise from his Arab years?


Are those the hot and arid years of wandering the desert..? :lol:


Hah. Anyway, don't focus on the exact number. That wasn't the point. But I did allude to the reason he might be willing to add years and take a little less than he would get down the road - security.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Disco Ball, Google [Bot] and 81 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists