MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:52 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21069
Location: NYC
acerimusdux wrote:
Mets big mistake in 2015 wasn't letting Murphy go, it was letting him go for a measly 3/37. They'd be foolish to spend more than that now, for more years, on someone less talented.

As for guys to take a flier on, I'm wondering whatever happened to Brett Lawrie? If healthy, he seems a guy who might be worth giving a look. Whatever leg issue he had this year, I think he's a guy who when he's stuggling, his swing gets out of whack some. I think working with a good hitting coach, there may be more bat there than he's shown yet in MLB. And even in his worst season of 5 per B-Ref he was still worth over 1 win. Fangraphs has one year where he was below that, but that's driven by an unusually low defensive number for UZR that year, which doesn't seem to be supported by other defensive metrics. I don't think he was ever worse than a little below average.

Wow. Hasn't had a good year since 2011. Traded 3 times by the age of 26 and questionable make up. Don't know what more to say about this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:30 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21069
Location: NYC
Best trade target is prob Harrison assuming that the Bucs look to make some changes. Solarte is prob the other logical trade option. Suarez could be available but the Reds certainly aren't going to give him away. And with Cozart a FA, the Reds may not want to part with Suarez who has 3 control years to go.

I could see a Harrison deal happen.

If I were going to look deep under the radar, I'd take a look at Giovanny Urshela in CLE. Seems like a decent breakout candidate to me and a + defender.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:33 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:54 pm
Posts: 6522
Location: Vero Beach, FL
HeyNowHK wrote:
Wow. Hasn't had a good year since 2011. Traded 3 times by the age of 26 and questionable make up. Don't know what more to say about this one.


Well he was pretty highly regarded in some of those trades. The first was for Shaun Marcum when he was still good, and the second was as a key part of the deal for Josh Donaldson. He was pretty good in 2012 as well, and even from 2013 on has still averaged 1.7 rWAR and 2.6 fWAR per 150 games. And he's still only 27.

And yes, there are some makeup issues there. But those mainly have to do with his intensity, a little too much arguing with umpires, or throwing helmets, whatever. Biggest problem there is that it's that intensity that probably led to some of his injury issues.

But if he were without flaws or questionmarks, he would likely be available either as a cheap flyer for a one year deal. I think he's worth giving a look, if he is finally healthy again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:46 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21069
Location: NYC
acerimusdux wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Wow. Hasn't had a good year since 2011. Traded 3 times by the age of 26 and questionable make up. Don't know what more to say about this one.


Well he was pretty highly regarded in some of those trades. The first was for Shaun Marcum when he was still good, and the second was as a key part of the deal for Josh Donaldson. He was pretty good in 2012 as well, and even from 2013 on has still averaged 1.7 rWAR and 2.6 fWAR per 150 games. And he's still only 27.

And yes, there are some makeup issues there. But those mainly have to do with his intensity, a little too much arguing with umpires, or throwing helmets, whatever. Biggest problem there is that it's that intensity that probably led to some of his injury issues.

But if he were without flaws or questionmarks, he would likely be available either as a cheap flyer for a one year deal. I think he's worth giving a look, if he is finally healthy again.

Fortunately I don't think they will be this desperate given some other options available. An underachieving headcase who has burned several bridges is not where I think they should be investing time. Not to mention that I would probably find him hard to root for. He seems like a jackass. Just doesn't seem the type the Mets normally gravitate to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:12 pm 
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11628
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
What are the thoughts on Ascab playing 3rd next year. His glove seems fine there and he's typically a 105 OPS+ type hitter, probably good for 2 war at 3rd next year? and he's cheap.

If the Mets are set at C (internal), 1B (Dom/Wilmer), 2B (er, TJ/Wilmer?), 3B (Ascab), SS, OF

Where do they spend their money? Starting pitcher? 2nd base?

If Ascab is penciled in at 3rd, then the biggest opening might be 2nd base?

_________________
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com

and, I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:47 pm 
Offline
NYFS Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:17 pm
Posts: 5660
LTKfRGM wrote:
What are the thoughts on Ascab playing 3rd next year. His glove seems fine there and he's typically a 105 OPS+ type hitter, probably good for 2 war at 3rd next year? and he's cheap.

If the Mets are set at C (internal), 1B (Dom/Wilmer), 2B (er, TJ/Wilmer?), 3B (Ascab), SS, OF

Where do they spend their money? Starting pitcher? 2nd base?

If Ascab is penciled in at 3rd, then the biggest opening might be 2nd base?


Kind of just went over this in the other thread.

I am not the biggest Wilmer fan, but I'd be willing to put him at 2B every day and I think he will deliver and do the least damage on defense.

Lorenzo Cain is somewhat interesting to men but don't like the idea of giving a 32 year a 4 year deal. Especially when theoretically, Juan Lagares/Brandon Nimmo should be able to bring similar value over the next few years.

Maybe they can sign some pitching (both a starter and reliever or two).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:04 pm 
Offline
General Manager

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 7084
Are we trying to contend next year or kill time until our pitchers all leave or get hurt?

Can't we bring in good players to go with our two good hitters, a couple of hopefuls and a lot of ok? We need some change here.

_________________
Sell EVERYTHING. Sell Sell Sell
Yes this is necessary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:20 pm 
Offline
NYFS Hall of Famer

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:17 pm
Posts: 5660
TomInNC wrote:
Are we trying to contend next year or kill time until our pitchers all leave or get hurt?

Can't we bring in good players to go with our two good hitters, a couple of hopefuls and a lot of ok? We need some change here.


They're already hurt and will probably continue to stay hurt until they become FA's. Think of how much service time these guys have picked up by being injured. It's incredible.

They either sign Moustakas or make trades because no other FAs fit in - unless they sign Hosmer and trade Smith.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:13 pm 
Online
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11628
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
HeyNowHK wrote:
Best trade target is prob Harrison assuming that the Bucs look to make some changes. Solarte is prob the other logical trade option. Suarez could be available but the Reds certainly aren't going to give him away. And with Cozart a FA, the Reds may not want to part with Suarez who has 3 control years to go.

I could see a Harrison deal happen.

If I were going to look deep under the radar, I'd take a look at Giovanny Urshela in CLE. Seems like a decent breakout candidate to me and a + defender.


Harrison's a good fit on a good contract but I don't think he'd come cheap. He probably costs at least 3 of our top prospects, cause our top prospects are no longer that interesting.

Cecchini, Dunn, Lindsay and maybe another piece might be around where the Harrison conversation starts.

_________________
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com

and, I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:41 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:23 am
Posts: 830
dragonfly wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
What are the thoughts on Ascab playing 3rd next year. His glove seems fine there and he's typically a 105 OPS+ type hitter, probably good for 2 war at 3rd next year? and he's cheap.

If the Mets are set at C (internal), 1B (Dom/Wilmer), 2B (er, TJ/Wilmer?), 3B (Ascab), SS, OF

Where do they spend their money? Starting pitcher? 2nd base?

If Ascab is penciled in at 3rd, then the biggest opening might be 2nd base?


Kind of just went over this in the other thread.

I am not the biggest Wilmer fan, but I'd be willing to put him at 2B every day and I think he will deliver and do the least damage on defense.

Lorenzo Cain is somewhat interesting to men but don't like the idea of giving a 32 year a 4 year deal. Especially when theoretically, Juan Lagares/Brandon Nimmo should be able to bring similar value over the next few years.

Maybe they can sign some pitching (both a starter and reliever or two).


I'm 100% on board with Wilmer starting at 2B every day(or at least most days maybe shift to 1B against lefties). His bat is too good to keep out of the lineup. He's basically been Murphy pre-God status which IMO is a valuable player, especially to a team in need of quality offensive players.

At this point I'm probably leaning more toward bringing ACab back for another year and focusing the offseason on upgrading the C position, bringing in at least one established, high-end reliever(McGee would be my preference), and trying to find our next Colon/Dickey. At the very least a veteran that can provide some depth.

I don't think we need to break the bank on a starter though. Harvey, Matz, and Wheeler all deserve one more look before we go that route, IMO. Montero has earned a look as well, and I'm pretty hopeful that Gsellman will bounce back next year. Molina and Flexen can provide some emergency depth in all likelihood, perhaps another surprise candidate emerges. Who knows what happens with Lugo but I'm sure he'll be back as well. This year was a deGrom injury away from being a worst case scenario...I don't see that happening again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:05 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21069
Location: NYC
LTKfRGM wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Best trade target is prob Harrison assuming that the Bucs look to make some changes. Solarte is prob the other logical trade option. Suarez could be available but the Reds certainly aren't going to give him away. And with Cozart a FA, the Reds may not want to part with Suarez who has 3 control years to go.

I could see a Harrison deal happen.

If I were going to look deep under the radar, I'd take a look at Giovanny Urshela in CLE. Seems like a decent breakout candidate to me and a + defender.


Harrison's a good fit on a good contract but I don't think he'd come cheap. He probably costs at least 3 of our top prospects, cause our top prospects are no longer that interesting.

Cecchini, Dunn, Lindsay and maybe another piece might be around where the Harrison conversation starts.

Not that those 3 have a lot of value but Harrison has had a lousy 2nd half and I think the Bucs are probably happy enough to move the salary and don't have the leverage to expect a big return. Having said that, I'm not sure Evans couldn't do what Harrison would do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The plan for 3B?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:24 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:12 pm
Posts: 38246
Location: Panic City
I'm bullish on Lindsey and I like Dunn, but you're not bringing back anything of value for them this winter.


8)

_________________
Whatever.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], LTKfRGM, Mavericknyc1980, underdog and 97 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists