Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Wilmer, learning English, and loving "Friends"

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:01 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/spor ... ubz=1&_r=0

Re: Wilmer, learning English, and loving "Friends"

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:10 am

Such a sweet boy.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:49 pm

This is funny because it's such a cross-cultural phenomenon. I'm currently in grad school and some of my closest friends in my program are Pakistani, this being their first time in the States. I thought that they all grew up speaking English or at least a mix of English and Urdu in the household, as their accents were so slight and their grasp of colloquialisms, slang, and American culture so strong. But nope. They just watched a crap ton of Friends. It's really impressive that the show has enough cross-cultural appeal to serve as an English learning vehicle for people from such varied cultural backgrounds.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:53 pm

northway wrote:This is funny because it's such a cross-cultural phenomenon. I'm currently in grad school and some of my closest friends in my program are Pakistani, this being their first time in the States. I thought that they all grew up speaking English or at least a mix of English and Urdu in the household, as their accents were so slight and their grasp of colloquialisms, slang, and American culture so strong. But nope. They just watched a crap ton of Friends. It's really impressive that the show has enough cross-cultural appeal to serve as an English learning vehicle for people from such varied cultural backgrounds.

One word: Rachel.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:28 pm

jdawginsc wrote:
northway wrote:This is funny because it's such a cross-cultural phenomenon. I'm currently in grad school and some of my closest friends in my program are Pakistani, this being their first time in the States. I thought that they all grew up speaking English or at least a mix of English and Urdu in the household, as their accents were so slight and their grasp of colloquialisms, slang, and American culture so strong. But nope. They just watched a crap ton of Friends. It's really impressive that the show has enough cross-cultural appeal to serve as an English learning vehicle for people from such varied cultural backgrounds.

One word: Rachel.

That's probably it, honestly.
Post a reply