MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: IGT - @ Fish 9/18
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:11 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

Harvey can be Kerry Wood, and thats the best case scenario.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 pm 
Legend of NYFS

dragonfly wrote:
Wow is right. I'm starting to think they need to put every penny into the pitching staff this winter.

deGrom, Syndergaard, Blevins, Ramos, Familia (maybe?) and Sewald are truly the only guys I have faith in next year. And "faith" in Famlia and Sewald is a stretch.

Nearly all the pitchers on this team blow.

I wouldn't object to that approach.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:48 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Callahan should be fine. Rhame otoh... does he even throw a second pitch? It's just fastball after fastball like BP. He's a little scary.

He throws a slider, CB, CU... yet he seems scared to throw anything but a FB since coming up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:02 am 
Legend of NYFS

Harvey is fried.

But could the bullpen come in and occasionally strand a runner or 5?

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:03 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

HeyNowHK wrote:
Please don't tell me that Harvey has to be tendered.

This is silly. Harvey has one more year of arbitration and then he's gone. If he was non-tendered by another team this board and fanbase would be shouting from the hilltops to sign him to a 1yr/$5.5m deal. I mean, relievers are paid that kind of money. He's a slam dunk to be tendered.

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:17 am 
General Manager

Ralf wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

This is silly. Harvey has one more year of arbitration and then he's gone. If he was non-tendered by another team this board and fanbase would be shouting from the hilltops to sign him to a 1yr/$5.5m deal. I mean, relievers are paid that kind of money. He's a slam dunk to be tendered.

Yep, I agree. If he wasn't ours how many calls would there be to grab him in a "low risk/high reward" deal. It's a favorite meme around here.

Let him have a winter to rest and come back fresh in the spring. Nothing to lose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:19 am 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Wuuuut?? The only people who might want to sign him for that kind of money prob have not seen him pitch. Witnessing this in excruciating pitch by pitch detail, it's pretty clear that the guy has nothing. Face it.

I'm looking for anything... any reason to hang onto to justify investing $6M in him for next season. I got nothing. And no, RPers coming off of atrocious years do not get $5M+/yr contracts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:20 am 
Legend of NYFS

TomInNC wrote:
Ralf wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Yep, I agree. If he wasn't ours how many calls would there be to grab him in a "low risk/high reward" deal. It's a favorite meme around here.

Let him have a winter to rest and come back fresh in the spring. Nothing to lose

"Nothing to lose" ?? How about time and money? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 am 
Legend of NYFS

I wonder if there is any number of consecutive bombs like last night that Harvey would turn in that would cause some to turn on him. Or if he could go on like this indefinitely and some would still advocate they invest $6M in him. Exactly how bad does this have to get? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:24 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
I wonder if there is any number of consecutive bombs like last night that Harvey would turn in that would cause some to turn on him. Or if he could go on like this indefinitely and some would still advocate they invest $6M in him. Exactly how bad does this have to get? :lol:

Personally he could get bombed the rest of the way and I'd still see value in giving him the 5 months of off-season to get healthier and or/figure it out for 1-1.5 million guaranteed (which is what it would cost us to find out). If the FO is so dumb that he can look bad in ST and they still opt to pay him 6 million that's on the FO and how poorly the Mets are run.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:27 am 
Legend of NYFS

He's still under arbitration, so the Mets can release him by March 15 (or there abouts) and only be on the hook for bout 1 million (1/6th of his arb contract). Yes, he might only get a 1 year 1-3 million dollar deal from another team to pitch for them, but his upside is worth holding onto at least into the spring. No chance they release him now.

and yes, he costs something. He costs 1 million guaranteed and a roster spot and some time and attention, but I assume the mets have enough coaches to not get too distracted by Harvey's struggles. Maybe (just maybe) he ends up costing us a Crismatt or Oswalt type - maybe. Maybe not. But the math is clear. The reward is 20 times the risk. They're going to offer him arb. It's pretty much a guarantee.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:32 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

The guy can still hit 96. All he needs is to get one of his other pitches back and he's a solid candidate for a reliever role as an alternative. As others have said, it makes no sense to not see what he is during ST for $1m.

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next