MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who are your top 10 AA/AAA prospects heading into 2018?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

"Problem" with Alonso is counting him is almost double dipping. Alonso and Smith will never be in the lineup at the same time so absolute best case is what? A platoon? A trade chip? The organization themselves seems WAY down on Cecchini. Boyd is a total NP and further, what scenario would Alonso AND Boyd help the Mets with Smith here? It's a very ugly list for 2018 and made worse by the fact Conlon apparently is now an RP and Molina is still being viewed as pre-TJ Molina whereas most who have seen him say his FB barely broke 90 this season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:12 pm 
Manager

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
I still think most teams have a few guys at AA/AAA you can dream on being contributors. Most of those look like a song and a prayer for even that to happen.

Well, yeah. My point is, I don't think this system is lacking any in those guys. I think we are more lacking in blue chip type talents.

I don't think it will be that difficult to do a top 30, or find some guys worth mentioning past 30. If anything, all those trades for pen arms might make that even easier than normal. I never really thought it worth going 50 deep, I think you are always going to get into guys then that don't really even deserve the C grade.

But I think it's going to be pretty hard right now to put together a top 10 that doesn't look kind of embarrassing. I think we're short on top 100 talents, not C+ lottery tickets.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:15 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Gotta pray Vientos/Gimenez/Peterson are "what you think they are", that Dunn and Lindsay bounce back and a guy like Mauricio is legit. Not a ton to dream on otherwise. Maybe Kay comes in and looks like a solid 3-4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I think Paul Seward will have a huge year for Vegas.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 pm 
Manager

Metro2007 wrote:
"Problem" with Alonso is counting him is almost double dipping. Alonso and Smith will never be in the lineup at the same time so absolute best case is what? A platoon? A trade chip?

Well yeah, you always need chips.

I think I saw someone recently arguing that the Mets would never be able to pull off a good offseason trade, because they absolutely need guys like Lindsay and Dunn, which made no sense to me either. There's really no one in this system right now who is good enough to be "untouchable" in a trade scenario. But there are guys who could be useful chips.

The Mets have graduated enough guys in recent years that they don't necessarily need to have guys who will be graduating in 2018. But they could use some guys to step up in 2018 with good seasons whether it's to become trade chips, injury replacements, or to temporarily break in as bench players.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:36 pm 
Legend of NYFS

acerimusdux wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:
"Problem" with Alonso is counting him is almost double dipping. Alonso and Smith will never be in the lineup at the same time so absolute best case is what? A platoon? A trade chip?

Well yeah, you always need chips.

Not to mention that Alonso on his current trajectory could torpedo Smith a year from now if Dom isn't careful.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 pm 
Manager

R Nitelight wrote:
I think Paul Seward will have a huge year for Vegas.

8)

I'm hoping Robert Gsellman, Zack Wheeler, Hansel Robles, and Travis d'Arnaud do as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

The other day I spoke to a writer who said he liked Alonso's bat more than Dom's but that RH 1b is a tough profile but more importantly "Alonso isn't a major league 1b if 2017 is an indication of his fitness and mobility going forward". I assume with the error totals even he recognizes this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:39 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Alonso is never going to be a platoon or bench bat.

He's either going to be a starter or he's not going to be a major leaguer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:43 pm 
Legend of NYFS

ilikeike29 wrote:
Alonso is never going to be a platoon or bench bat.

He's either going to be a starter or he's not going to be a major leaguer.

Guy said he's seen Alonso be "average/passable" at 1b but that it wasn't the case according to "any" of the scouts he spoke to this season and he had put on an "extreme" amount of weight since being drafted.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:56 pm 
NYFS Staff

Alonso is the type of player SandyCo should be advocating a DH in the National League for.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:58 pm 
General Manager

jdawginsc wrote:
Alonso is the type of player SandyCo should be advocating a DH in the National League for.

Or Wilmer Flores.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next