MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who are your top 10 AA/AAA prospects heading into 2018?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:12 am 
Manager

jdawginsc wrote:
This is probably close to what my list would be though Cecchini I would disqualify due to the time, not at bats at MLB level. I like Smith a bit more than Callaghan.

Cheech is still a pretty long way from losing rookie eligibility. Was only on the active roster 22 days (8 in June, the rest in August) before September callups. And I guess a decent bet to return to AAA to start next season.

The pen arms, I honestly have no idea. I haven't been watching minor league games lately, so no special insight. I think I may have seen Bashlor once last year, but don't really even remeber, though I do remember being high on Bashlor for some reason. Picking minor league pen arms based on stats is kind of a fools errand, but I mostly did that here anyway. Callahan is younger than some of the others and had his small sample dominant stretch in AA.

And I decided to give an edit and bump Thompson up a bit, who I did see and like last year. He's a solid all around guy, with probably more potential in the bat than he has shown yet at upper levels. Enough tools to rank alonside Nido, anyway, as far as MLB potential.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:36 am 
Rookie

Pretty safe bet that there will be a new #1 after the first week in June.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:11 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
Did I miss anyone? (don't say Oswalt).

Oswalt. You're missing Oswalt.

Like, again, he's not an elite prospect but there are some way fringe-ier names on all of these lists.

I forgot Cheech he's maybe #5 or 6 on my list. I'd like to squeeze Evans in the top 10 too, maybe bumping a relief pitcher & Molina.

I'm not as high on Oswalt as most, he might be in the 12-13 range among AA/AAA. I wouldn't mind being wrong though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:14 am 
Legend of NYFS

I actually think this is a better group than generally being given credit for. It's the group below this: A+, A, A- that looks weak at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
I actually think this is a better group than generally being given credit for. It's the group below this: A+, A, A- that looks weak at the moment.

A- to A+ has Gimenez, Peterson (my 1/2), Dunn is still in the top 5-6 probably. Lindsay's interesting. Szapucki & Humphreys are fun.

I think they might be less deep than AA/AAA but stronger at the top.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

A- to A+ has Gimenez, Peterson (my 1/2), Dunn is still in the top 5-6 probably. Lindsay's interesting. Szapucki & Humphreys are fun.

I think they might be less deep than AA/AAA but stronger at the top.

Injuries and sliding performance have decimated this group.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:18 am 
Blue Chipper

Hot Takes wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

Like, again, he's not an elite prospect but there are some way fringe-ier names on all of these lists.

90-95 fastball, change up. Good command, developing curve, Throws downhill, gets ground balls performed well in AA. Sort of reminds me of deGroms scouting report when he was in AA.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 am 
Legend of NYFS

This guy ended up a truly awful pick. They reached for him and he flat out stinks

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... urch000and

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:

Is there a single regular in your list? Thats why its being mocked.

The best guy in there is a non-entity in the NL unless we get the DH. The probable only chance at an "impact" guy at his position is the reliever (Bashlor).

Agree that the group below stinks for the most part too. But I just think its a dead system throughout. And I think the consensus top 3 prospects in the system all reside below AA so hard to claim the lower levels are the bigger problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 am 
Legend of NYFS

stevereiff wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

90-95 fastball, change up. Good command, developing curve, Throws downhill, gets ground balls performed well in AA. Sort of reminds me of deGroms scouting report when he was in AA.

That would be great but thats not what Oswalt throws, though. He's 88-91, based on the more honest scouting reports, occassionally touching higher. Think Dillon Gee with a bad body, not Jacob DeGrom.

...plus DeGrom was getting plus velocity reports basically from the time he popped back up in Savannah after TJS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 am 
Legend of NYFS

Yeah Toby Hyde was loving DeGrom way back when. Thought he was likely a late inning reliever but praised the pure stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:58 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Is there a single regular in your list? Thats why its being mocked.

The best guy in there is a non-entity in the NL unless we get the DH. The probable only chance at an "impact" guy at his position is the reliever (Bashlor).

Agree that the group below stinks for the most part too. But I just think its a dead system throughout. And I think the consensus top 3 prospects in the system all reside below AA so hard to claim the lower levels are the bigger problem.

Yeah, it speaks volumes about the system if our higher levels are better than our lower levels. I don't think it's really arguable that it's pretty bad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next