Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Warthen

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:54 am

Expected to be let go along with Collins.

Until recently it had been sort of assumed that he'd be back. Makes sense that they would make a clean break the same time they will change manager. At least according to Puma, Viola won't be on the short list for the job for some reason. Seems likely to go to Bones or someone from outside.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/27/mets-expec ... o-sources/

Re: Warthen

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:09 am

Well Collins says he prefers to stay with the Mets...

I'm sure Bones has the heads up on the pitching coach position?

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:30 am

Mogriffjr wrote:Well Collins says he prefers to stay with the Mets...

I'm sure Bones has the heads up on the pitching coach position?

Over Viola? I don't know. Frank is my choice.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:51 am

Viola's going to get poached if we don't give him a shot, and by all accounts it sounds like we're going to regret it. But being the Mets, this should be expected.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:02 am

Aside from the name value, I would certainly be hard-pressed to enumerate Viola's value as a PC. He might be great but I'm in no position to make that call. Aside from being a local, having a Mets history and generally being an affable guy, I really don't know how good a PC he is. While, otoh, Bones has a pretty good reputation and seems to have a good rapport with players, and he's certainly paid his dues. I'd like to see what he can do in the job.

And if that means we could lose Viola, I'd be willing to accept that.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:07 am

I would like to see Viola get a shot here.

Maybe my memory is wrong, but I think I recall Viola being name-checked in interviews a handful of times by prospects over the years as someone they really thought helped them out. Not just with a grip or whatever, but about getting through the ups and downs of a season.

He seems as good a candidate as any and is familiar with most (all?) of the guys.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:42 am

The Juice wrote:I would like to see Viola get a shot here.

Maybe my memory is wrong, but I think I recall Viola being name-checked in interviews a handful of times by prospects over the years as someone they really thought helped them out. Not just with a grip or whatever, but about getting through the ups and downs of a season.

He seems as good a candidate as any and is familiar with most (all?) of the guys.

According to Puma who wrote the article Viola isn't under consideration. Which makes no sense to me. Why would anyone want to coach in the Met organization especially their highest affiliate and not even be considered for a position on the big league staff when it opens up? And besides, haven't the reviews on Viola been pretty good?

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:09 pm

Steve The Original wrote:

According to Puma who wrote the article Viola isn't under consideration. Which makes no sense to me. Why would anyone want to coach in the Met organization especially their highest affiliate and not even be considered for a position on the big league staff when it opens up? And besides, haven't the reviews on Viola been pretty good?

Bingo. And all the pitchers actively rave about their time under him. We can then move from the Warthen Slider to Viola Change, a much safer pitch for the arms and better barometer of long term success. All kidding aside, they rave about Viola.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:55 pm

Just throw seven figures at Banny and tell him to choose his role.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:33 am

This is what I'm going off of. I'm not trying to claim any knowledge of his abilities as a pitching coach beyond what the players have said.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:22 am

Let the new manager choose his staff. Warthen was not to the blame clearly.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:18 pm

how rare is it for a pitcher to go to bat so aggressively for his pitching coach?

Syndergaard was pretty adamant.
Post a reply