NYFS ny mets message boards
http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/

Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom
http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44698
Page 1 of 3

Author:  Metro2007 [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

The Mets are expected to explore a multi-year extension with RHP Jacob deGrom this offseason, reports Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports.

The 29-year-old deGrom is under team control through the 2020 season, after which he is eligible for free agency.

Author:  R Nitelight [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

Never pay an athlete a day sooner than you have to, or a day longer.

The batting average for deals like this working out for the team are significantly under the Mendoza Line.


8)

Author:  Metro2007 [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

R Nitelight wrote:
Never pay an athlete a day sooner than you have to, or a day longer.

The batting average for deals like this working out for the team are significantly under the Mendoza Line.


8)



Of course arguably the best monster deal for a pitcher in recent history has to go to our rivals the Nationals and Scherzer. Just the Mets luck.

Author:  Ralf [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

Have they learned nothing with Lagares?

The better course would be to wait until he and his agent submit a number for arbitration and just pay him that each of the next three years.

Author:  R Nitelight [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

Metro2007 wrote:


Of course arguably the best monster deal for a pitcher in recent history has to go to our rivals the Nationals and Scherzer. Just the Mets luck.



See how it ends.

Right now they've won nothing and are still on the hook for $120M.


8)

Author:  Metro2007 [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

R Nitelight wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:


Of course arguably the best monster deal for a pitcher in recent history has to go to our rivals the Nationals and Scherzer. Just the Mets luck.



See how it ends.

Right now they've won nothing and are still on the hook for $120M.


8)



Half of the owed money is spread over 7 years after the contract ends. He's basically making 14 per season for 14 years. I know you aren't into Sabermetrics etc but he's basically 1 normal season from him from being worth his contract. In "current' money his deal was worthy 170 million over the 7 years he signed for. The "210" totally BS.

Author:  Metro2007 [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

Ralf wrote:
Have they learned nothing with Lagares?

The better course would be to wait until he and his agent submit a number for arbitration and just pay him that each of the next three years.



You just know if they get a deal done it won't include any FA years just "cost certainty".

Author:  R Nitelight [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

Metro2007 wrote:


Half of the owed money is spread over 7 years after the contract ends. He's basically making 14 per season for 14 years. I know you aren't into Sabermetrics etc but he's basically 1 normal season from him from being worth his contract. In "current' money his deal was worthy 170 million over the 7 years he signed for. The "210" totally BS.



Bobby Bonilla sez hi.


8)

Author:  Ralf [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

Isn't he coming up on year 5 since his TJ too? I've read thats historically a marker for pitchers to start declining again until the next TJ needed.

Author:  Metro2007 [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

R Nitelight wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:


Half of the owed money is spread over 7 years after the contract ends. He's basically making 14 per season for 14 years. I know you aren't into Sabermetrics etc but he's basically 1 normal season from him from being worth his contract. In "current' money his deal was worthy 170 million over the 7 years he signed for. The "210" totally BS.



Bobby Bonilla sez hi.


8)



Bobby Bonilla's contract is routinely mocked but in terms of the Mets and how they operate fans should take moves like that 10 out of 10 times. Why should anyone care if Bonilla gets 1 million a year for 500 years? Good for Bobby and "zero" impact on the Mets. As a fan I'd prefer David Wright gets "more" money spread over many more years.

Author:  HeyNowHK [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

R Nitelight wrote:
Metro2007 wrote:


Of course arguably the best monster deal for a pitcher in recent history has to go to our rivals the Nationals and Scherzer. Just the Mets luck.



See how it ends.

Right now they've won nothing and are still on the hook for $120M.


8)

:?

Author:  LTKfRGM [ Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Mets to "explore" extension with DeGrom

Ralf wrote:
Have they learned nothing with Lagares?

The better course would be to wait until he and his agent submit a number for arbitration and just pay him that each of the next three years.


Because not signing Murphy to an extension worked out so well.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/