Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Yesterday's game day

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:01 am

cause it deserves a mention.

Lugo didn't have it, he left after 4 innings down 2-1. Sewald gave up another 2 which tied it 4-4 after 7 though technically Callahan gave up the hit, Sewald set the plate for him with 3 walks. Yikes

But the mets won it in OT with 3 in the top of the 11th and a nice save by Familia. The pen (other than Sewald/Calahan) was perfect, no hits, no walks, 9 Ks in 6 innings. Rhame got the win with 2 perfect innings.

And the Philly pitchers issued 10 walks and 11 hits. The mets just didn't score until the 11th but they got on base a lot.

Nimmo 2 for 5 with a walk and a triple.

Dom 0 for 4 with 2 walks. If his power develops and pitchers try to pitch around him, he's got the eye to draw a lot of walks. He's got legit upside.

Plawecki 2 for 3 with 3 walks. Dude is looking good. He's got a .778 OPS on the year - that's with a lousy start.

Cabrera was 4 for 6 with a homer and Aoki 0 for 3 with 3 walks.

If Cabrera's bat is OK next year, he's maybe a 2 possibly 3 war 3rd baseman. That's better than we've had since Wright was healthy.

It's September and Philly stinks, so . . . take it with a grain of salt but it was a solid win.

One game left. I'd be fine with a win so long as Atlanta & Sandiego win too.

Re: Yesterday's game day

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks for the summary!

I want a win to go off a bad year on a high note...further, I'd like to see big games from Dom, Amed, Nimmo and TDA particularly. Sets a better tone.

Lugo gutted it out. Have to give him that.

I think AsCab is our third baseman...the tea leaves are there.

Second will be interesting. Will they sign Walker back and make Wilmer the caddy for Dom and Walker...?

Has Nimmo done enough to grab centerfield. Personally, I think he has. Nimmo, Conforto, Cespedes and A vet...? Lagares, not sure.

Might be a year to sure up the pitching staff, perhaps even a 2/3...

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:33 am

And has Reyes put himself in the plans as a supersub?

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:39 am

The tea leaves would seem to suggest the same team coming back if we were to believe in the guys still here still relatively good. Are you.comfortable with Reyes back? AsCab being back? TdA and plaw as the catching tandem?

Plaw/ TdA
Dom Smith
Flores/ Rivera
Rosario/ Reyes
AsCab
Yo!
Conforto/Lagares
Nimmo

?

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:23 am

So we're bringing back the 70 win team and going for it? Everyone will be healthy of course and all the young players will have positive development. Oh and of course they'll spend the big bucks for that #2/3 starter!

Let's Go Mets!

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:03 am

Nah, let's overspend on mediocre free agents to appease grumbling fans and put an anchor around our necks for another 4 years.

8)

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:43 am

Mogriffjr wrote:The tea leaves would seem to suggest the same team coming back if we were to believe in the guys still here still relatively good. Are you.comfortable with Reyes back? AsCab being back? TdA and plaw as the catching tandem?

Plaw/ TdA
Dom Smith
Flores/ Rivera
Rosario/ Reyes
AsCab
Yo!
Conforto/Lagares
Nimmo

?

If they sign a starting pitcher and a 5th OF then sure. I'd be OK with that roster. Not saying I love it, only that I think it's got a shot at not being so bad.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:25 pm

I think I have gotten to the place where if Cabrera is inevitable, someone like a Neil Walker makes sense, or simply give second to Wilmer, then concentrate on pitching.

I would prefer Cabrera was elsewhere, but in a place where we are with David Wright, there is no need to dream of Donaldsons and Moustakases...

If Reyes could learn outfield, it makes some sense that he returns.

Nimmo
Cabrera
Conforto
Cespedes
Smith
Wilmer
Rosario
TDA/Plawecki

...Not the worst conglomeration. Add Reyes, TJ Rivera and a lefty who can play center-field off the bench, and it could be worse.

Spend on pitching...then let the lower arms develop.

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:59 pm

jdawginsc wrote:...then let the lower arms develop.

Who are these lower arms of which you speak?

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:12 pm

LTKfRGM wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:...then let the lower arms develop.

Who are these lower arms of which you speak?

Szapucki, Humphreys, Peterson, Dunn, Bautista, Smith, Ryan, among others.
Post a reply