Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Nimmo and Plaw have shown they can be major league contributors at minimum.

As an aside, for all the crap SandyCo get for the drafts (some deserved), in 5 years they have produced a Rookie of the Year, an apparent perennial All Star OF, a major league OF with a exceptional OBP tool, a major league 1B (early but track record looks promising) and a contributing major league catcher. I think if you offered that outcome to every franchise they would sign up for it in a heartbeat.

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:06 pm

Ralf wrote:Nimmo and Plaw have shown they can be major league contributors at minimum.

As an aside, for all the crap SandyCo get for the drafts (some deserved), in 5 years they have produced a Rookie of the Year, an apparent perennial All Star OF, a major league OF with a exceptional OBP tool, a major league 1B (early but track record looks promising) and a contributing major league catcher. I think if you offered that outcome to every franchise they would sign up for it in a heartbeat.

Wow. It's 7 years and only 2 of the 5 you've mentioned have established themselves as ML regulars thru this point. We just don't yet know how much to expect from the others yet - Nimmo, Smith & Plaw. If those 3 become big contributors, that certainly improves their developmental record.

I think the issue is really that if they continue to marginalize free agency and trades to acquire talent and they are running out of Omar era holdovers to rely on, then they're going to have to have better success in their own drafting and developing efforts. The fact that the names you mentioned above all came in either the 1st or 2nd rd shows how poorly they've done in getting past the most obvious of talents.

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Maybe I'm having a brain fart, but who was the Rookie of the Year?

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:15 pm

MarkJohnson>You wrote:Maybe I'm having a brain fart, but who was the Rookie of the Year?


Fulmer.

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:19 pm

I don't see the optimism going into 2018 with a full infield and catchers hitting below ML average as a group. Then the OF is two guys coming off injuries and Nimmo.

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:22 pm

TomInNC wrote:I don't see the optimism going into 2018 with a full infield and catchers hitting below ML average as a group. Then the OF is two guys coming off injuries and Nimmo.


I'm with you. I wasn't all that enthused entering 2017 either with all the question marks. I think the questions will be even more going in to 2018. But we'll just have to see how the off season plays out.

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:29 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:
Ralf wrote:Nimmo and Plaw have shown they can be major league contributors at minimum.

As an aside, for all the crap SandyCo get for the drafts (some deserved), in 5 years they have produced a Rookie of the Year, an apparent perennial All Star OF, a major league OF with a exceptional OBP tool, a major league 1B (early but track record looks promising) and a contributing major league catcher. I think if you offered that outcome to every franchise they would sign up for it in a heartbeat.

Wow. It's 7 years and only 2 of the 5 you've mentioned have established themselves as ML regulars thru this point. We just don't yet know how much to expect from the others yet - Nimmo, Smith & Plaw. If those 3 become big contributors, that certainly improves their developmental record.

I think the issue is really that if they continue to marginalize free agency and trades to acquire talent and they are running out of Omar era holdovers to rely on, then they're going to have to have better success in their own drafting and developing efforts. The fact that the names you mentioned above all came in either the 1st or 2nd rd shows how poorly they've done in getting past the most obvious of talents.


Are we really expecting the 2016 and 2017 drafts to produce instant major leaguers? Five is a realistic number. I mean, if a team can get even just 1 major league regular out of the draft each year its a win. There were bust years, no doubt. But overall, a lot a good pieces have been drafted and produced at the major league level, not just with the Mets (Bowman and Fulmer come to mind).

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:32 pm

TomInNC wrote:I don't see the optimism going into 2018 with a full infield and catchers hitting below ML average as a group. Then the OF is two guys coming off injuries and Nimmo.


Lets Go Mets!

(PS - go look at what the league average numbers are for a catcher)

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Ralf wrote:
TomInNC wrote:I don't see the optimism going into 2018 with a full infield and catchers hitting below ML average as a group. Then the OF is two guys coming off injuries and Nimmo.


Lets Go Mets!

(PS - go look at what the league average numbers are for a catcher)


As a group I said. That's the 6 starters. Wilmer's a little over avg too.

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Ralf wrote:
TomInNC wrote:I don't see the optimism going into 2018 with a full infield and catchers hitting below ML average as a group. Then the OF is two guys coming off injuries and Nimmo.


Lets Go Mets!

(PS - go look at what the league average numbers are for a catcher)



They were 12 and 18 in OPS for NL catchers with 100 AB. Is that below average enough

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:30 am

I think it is good news that Dom showed power because up to this year the fear was he was never going to hit for power and people were throwing out Casey Kotchman as comps. I think Dom will get that average up next year as he becomes more comfortable and could see a .275/.350/.450 season. While not an elite season but a starting point to continue to grow from. I wouldn't give up on him yet as we saw from Conforto, kids can take some time to hit their groove.

Re: Biggest positive takeaways from the season

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:40 am

ndfordarling wrote:I think it is good news that Dom showed power because up to this year the fear was he was never going to hit for power and people were throwing out Casey Kotchman as comps. I think Dom will get that average up next year as he becomes more comfortable and could see a .275/.350/.450 season. While not an elite season but a starting point to continue to grow from. I wouldn't give up on him yet as we saw from Conforto, kids can take some time to hit their groove.


I think you're mis-remembering. The comps were "Casey Kotchman WITH BETTER DEFENSE."

Or Mark Grace with better defense.

Or John Olerud with better defense.

Or....
Post a reply