Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Re: The final roster cuts and rule 5 predictions thread - 20

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:19 pm

People are trying to group in Uceta with Bashlor and Bautista -- I don't see it. He's not quite on their level upside-wise.

Bashlor not only would get picked, but also he'd last in someone's bullpen all year and we'd never see him again.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:14 pm

Boyd is zero chance. Bat is OK but he's not a glove guy. I don't see any chance at all.

Lets say Bashlor is our consensus automatic.

and with some disagreement, Uceta, Bautista, Guillorme, Oswalt are considerations.

After that, there's a few long shots, but those are the primary 5. It's still kind of a lot. That means 10 cuts/releases from the current 43. Some cuts are obvious like Pill, Taijeron, Milone, but I don't see making 10 cuts. Probably 1 or 2 of those 5 won't get protected.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Boyd has a 1% chance because of our OF situation. There's Conforto (who's hurt), Cespedes, Lagares, Nimmo, and... No one else. Four OF isn't enough for the active roster, nonetheless the 40. Maybe we'll tender Aoki. But if we don't, Boyd is probably next in line.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:38 am

Hot Takes wrote:Boyd has a 1% chance because of our OF situation. There's Conforto (who's hurt), Cespedes, Lagares, Nimmo, and... No one else. Four OF isn't enough for the active roster, nonetheless the 40. Maybe we'll tender Aoki. But if we don't, Boyd is probably next in line.

That hadn't occurred to me that the OF was that thin. What is it with the mets and not having an OF.

You forgot Becerra but I don't think he's much help. I'm not even sure the mets keep him on the 40. Urena is trying his hand at the OF in instructs but he won't be a 40 man roster guy and there's (LOL) Matt Reynolds.

I think the mets have to sign an OF free agent then. You're right, 4 is too few. They need a starting pitcher and an OF for sure. Maybe a 2nd baseman too unless they want to give that job to Wilmer.

They have to sign an OF then I think.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:03 am

LTKfRGM wrote:
Hot Takes wrote:Boyd has a 1% chance because of our OF situation. There's Conforto (who's hurt), Cespedes, Lagares, Nimmo, and... No one else. Four OF isn't enough for the active roster, nonetheless the 40. Maybe we'll tender Aoki. But if we don't, Boyd is probably next in line.

That hadn't occurred to me that the OF was that thin. What is it with the mets and not having an OF.

You forgot Becerra but I don't think he's much help. I'm not even sure the mets keep him on the 40. Urena is trying his hand at the OF in instructs but he won't be a 40 man roster guy and there's (LOL) Matt Reynolds.

I think the mets have to sign an OF free agent then. You're right, 4 is too few. They need a starting pitcher and an OF for sure. Maybe a 2nd baseman too unless they want to give that job to Wilmer.

They have to sign an OF then I think.

We absolutely have to sign an OF. It doesn't have to be a Cain or another big name, but it has to be someone. It could be Aoki.

Boyd isn't really a prospect but he might be the #1 OF in AAA to start the season. And unlike Kazcmarski, (who might be better), Boyd is Rule V eligible.

So, yeah, 1% chance.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm

If you drop:
Becerra, Reynolds, Reyes, Smoker, Pill, Montero, Milone, Goeddel, Bradford, that gives you 32; assume Montero, Smoker and possibly Bradford make the cut. that's 35.

No matter what, the issue isn't that we are losing quality folks as much as it is that we continue to keep guys who should be moved outward...

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 pm

jdawginsc wrote:If you drop:
Becerra, Reynolds, Reyes, Smoker, Pill, Montero, Milone, Goeddel, Bradford, that gives you 32; assume Montero, Smoker and possibly Bradford make the cut. that's 35.

No matter what, the issue isn't that we are losing quality folks as much as it is that we continue to keep guys who should be moved outward...

What reason would they have to drop Bradford?

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:57 pm

That sounds about right. Smoker probably stays now that Edgin is likely gone. Don't think they'll add more than 4 guys, maybe only 3. They'll want to have some flexibiltiy for further winter moves, though they can always free up spots with minor trades as well.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:13 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:

What reason would they have to drop Bradford?

That's why I added him back in.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:58 pm

You didn't mention Taijeron (who I assume is a cut for sure) or Evans? Are you keeping Evans?

The roster, counting everybody, even the free agents like Reyes, is at 43. Your cuts, plus Taijeron and Evans, minus Montero, Bradford - puts them at 34. I think they have to sign at minimum 2 free agents, possibly 3, so that's 3-4 40 man adds. That's possible.

It's a little snug.

Maybe I'm crazy but I'd think hard about cutting Robles too. Mets could also make a trade or sale like they did last year.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:26 am

LTKfRGM wrote:You didn't mention Taijeron (who I assume is a cut for sure) or Evans? Are you keeping Evans?

The roster, counting everybody, even the free agents like Reyes, is at 43. Your cuts, plus Taijeron and Evans, minus Montero, Bradford - puts them at 34. I think they have to sign at minimum 2 free agents, possibly 3, so that's 3-4 40 man adds. That's possible.

It's a little snug.

Maybe I'm crazy but I'd think hard about cutting Robles too. Mets could also make a trade or sale like they did last year.

He also kept McGowan, who I would cut.

Robles you could cut, but he does have an option left. I initially kept Goeddel on my list, but he's out of options, which makes him an easy cut (if he wasn't already). I think they have enough room though to keep Robles in AAA as insurance one more year.

Even keeping Aoki (or Reyes, pick one), and dropping McGowan, Milone, Pill, Goeddel, Reynolds, Becerra, Taijeron gets you down to 35. That's keeping Evans.

Add at most 4 for rule 5. That leaves room to sign a FA SP. If you want to add FA infield talent, you can still cut Evans or Cecchini, or decline the option on Cabrera. If you are adding a good FA OF, then you nontender Aoki, and instead sign a AAA depth guy who isn't on the roster as insurance.

So only snug enough that the tough choices are between keeping Evans or Cecchini, or McGowan or Robles, or whether to protect Uceta or Oswalt. And you'll still likely be able to have 4 of those 6 on the roster.
Post a reply