Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Mets infield defense

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Simon's tweet on the Mets infield defense this year is fairly amazing:

https://twitter.com/msimonespn/status/9 ... 2926912512

In case you can't see the whole thing, John Dewan's fielding bible estimates the Mets' infield defense cost them 65 runs this year. To put this in context, the next worst team by his estimates cost its team 26 runs - the difference beween the Mets and the 29th team was greater than the difference between the 29th team and the 13th team. The Mets outfield was actually a positive, according to these numbers.

If you want other stats, the Mets BABIP against was .319, better only than the Tigers .320 (and if you consider that the Tigers face a DH rather than a low BABIP pitcher, the Mets are objectively the worst here too).

If you want more, the Mets also have the biggest differential between their team ERA (5.01) and their XFIP (4.42) of any team in the majors.

According to defensive WAR, the three biggest culprits on the Mets were Reyes, Flores, and Cabrera, which also matches my eye test.

Re: Mets defense

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:55 pm

Wait, I thought defense didn't matter...?

Re: Mets infield defense

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm

I checked out the finale month... Dom Smith -7 DRS WOW.

Re: Mets defense

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:Wait, I thought defense didn't matter...?

LOL. If you have a prolific offense...maybe.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Metro2007 wrote:I checked out the finale month... Dom Smith -7 DRS WOW.

He showed nothing at all defensively. I'm officially on the Peter Alonzo train. Hopefully he can improve his defense

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Steve The Original wrote:

He showed nothing at all defensively. I'm officially on the Peter Alonzo train. Hopefully he can improve his defense

If nothing else we will see how much Dom Smith (and Alonso for that matter) really care. Even Dom Smith's biggest fans would have to acknowledge his piss poor conditioning. Both he and Alonso should come in in A+++ shape or they are both destined to disappoint. I admittedly am not a "Dom guy" but now would be the time for a "kid" to take it seriously. Both he and Alonso should be dedicating themselves to getting in shape and defense at 1b (in addition to hitting obviously).

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Metro2007 wrote:
Steve The Original wrote:

If nothing else we will see how much Dom Smith (and Alonso for that matter) really care. Even Dom Smith's biggest fans would have to acknowledge his piss poor conditioning. Both he and Alonso should come in in A+++ shape or they are both destined to disappoint. I admittedly am not a "Dom guy" but now would be the time for a "kid" to take it seriously. Both he and Alonso should be dedicating themselves to getting in shape and defense at 1b (in addition to hitting obviously).

100%.

We're definitely wedded to him next year too with the financial constraints placed on the FO by ownership. So its fingers crossed he changes.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:50 pm

So you mean I SHOULDN'T pen in Dom's name on the WS express next year?

The Dom-Wilmer-Rosario-Cabrera infield of excellence isn't carrying us to the promised land?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:53 pm

So, it wasn't Matt Harvey's fault. It was the defense. Good to know.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:28 pm

I think having AsCab at 3B rather than up the middle, playing Wilmer on the right side, and not playing Reyes as much should make these stats better regardless of who we add. Rosario for a full season should improve the stats at SS as well. Wilmer seems to grade pretty well at 1B but I'm not sure what the deal is with Dom, the scouts all said he was above average defensively.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:58 pm

This is still going to be a relatively weak division. I don't like the team right now, but I will say that if you can get a healthy Thor and deGrom to stabilize things at the top, we have a lot of wildcard candidates behind them in the rotation...... some that would look a lot better with massive defensive progression (which is certainly a possibility, but even the deepest analysis into our infield may not result in a guess of any satisfactory accuracy).

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:26 pm

LTKfRGM wrote:So, it wasn't Matt Harvey's fault. It was the defense. Good to know.

Well the defense only cost less than half a run per game. The other roughly 6.3 are on Harvey.
Post a reply