Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Re: Coaching Staff Changes

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:09 am

R Nitelight wrote:Wacky, out-of-the-box idea.

Why not let the new manager pick his coaches?

8)

You mean like when Steve Phillips picked Bobby V's coaches and when Sandy picked Terry's coaches? I don't think the manager has much input into this in any front office.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:09 am

And of course Barwis gets to stay. SMH Guess it pays to be friends with the owner.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:20 am

@ByJamesWagner
Sandy said Kevin Long will be given “strong consideration” for manager opening. Mets will reorganize medical/training structure & add staff.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:23 am

HeyNowHK wrote:@ByJamesWagner
Sandy said Kevin Long will be given “strong consideration” for manager opening. Mets will reorganize medical/training structure & add staff.

As long as Barwis stays it's pointless. He's what Gary Cohen used to say was a "net negative." Though in this case Gary is correct. :)

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:25 am

Geren, Long, Hale are who I think the 3 favorites are. Hoping for Cora. Don't know enough about Long to really give an opinion of him either way in terms of managing. Already noted I do not want Ventura (not getting into that again). Curious if Pedro Lopez gets an interview. Gut says Geren or Long, I'll guess Long with the "shocker'.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:34 am

Shock would be the operative word if it's Long, both for the jump from HC, but also bc if making a change there would be no one named that would represent less of a change than Long. Long would be more a continuation of the current coaching staff than anything. If they think it's time for a different philosophy & voice in the locker room, then bring someone in who isn't on the current coaching staff for goodness sakes.

It just seems like a hedge to keep Long in the family as long as possible... avoiding a forever decision, as it were.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:37 am

HeyNowHK wrote:Shock would be the operative word if it's Long, both for the jump from HC, but also bc if making a change there would be no one named that would represent less of a change than Long. Long would be more a continuation of the current coaching staff than anything. If they think it's time for a different philosophy & voice in the locker room, then bring someone in who isn't on the current coaching staff for goodness sakes.

It just seems like a hedge to keep Long in the family as long as possible... avoiding a forever decision, as it were.

Not if Scott and Warthen are both gone. With TC also gone that's 3 major pieces replaced by "new" people, 4 if you include the fact hitting coach would be replaced as well.

New manager, new pitching coach, new bench coach, new hitting coach

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Ray Ramirez fired?

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Wow, shocked about Warthen. I thought he'd be here another 5 years or more. Ray Ramirez was low hanging fruit (correct move though). Still don't understand the clamoring for Long to be manager. Bizarre.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Ralf wrote:Wow, shocked about Warthen. I thought he'd be here another 5 years or more. Ray Ramirez was low hanging fruit (correct move though). Still don't understand the clamoring for Long to be manager. Bizarre.

Who's clamoring? He's one of the names being considered. Haven't seen anyone say on here or written online "OMG WE HAVE TO HIRE KEVIN LONG AS MANAGER!!!"

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:10 pm

How's Noah taking the Warthen firing?

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Ciarán wrote:How's Noah taking the Warthen firing?

Might survive not having Tommy John...
Post a reply