Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:22 am

Phil Evans (Util)
0
No votes
Tyler Bashlor (RHP)
3
14%
Anthony Kay (LHP)
0
No votes
Chris Flexen (RHP)
0
No votes
Tomas Nido (C)
3
14%
Jordan Humphreys (RHP)
0
No votes
Justin Dunn (RHP)
1
5%
Thomas Szapucki (LHP)
10
45%
Desmond Lindsay (OF)
2
9%
Luis Guillorme (SS)
3
14%
 
Total votes : 22

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:15 am

The Mets 2017 top 30 prospects had the worst MLB production of any team in baseball (-1.8 WAR). YES!!! #Mets

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:19 am

Oh it's almost certainly a bottom 5 system now.

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:33 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:
stevereiff wrote:This was a really tough choice....


Pretty sure mets will DFA Evans in a few weeks.


Where you getting this from?


Need to clear 7-10 guys from 40 man for upcoming FAs, Rule V adds, 60 man DL returns etc.

I just feel like he will be one of the casualties. Same arguement can be made with Becerra.

Why is he top prospect in your mind? Can't be cause he hit .279 with a .341OPS in hitter friendly Las Vegas.

Even after his solid AA year, he was a fringe top 20 prospect.

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:42 pm

stevereiff wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
stevereiff wrote:This was a really tough choice....


Pretty sure mets will DFA Evans in a few weeks.


Where you getting this from?


Need to clear 7-10 guys from 40 man for upcoming FAs, Rule V adds, 60 man DL returns etc.

I just feel like he will be one of the casualties. Same arguement can be made with Becerra.

Why is he top prospect in your mind? Can't be cause he hit .279 with a .341OPS in hitter friendly Las Vegas.

Even after his solid AA year, he was a fringe top 20 prospect.

I asked bc Evans mostly impressed in his brief ML audition both at the plate and also showed versatility and looked pretty smooth in the field.

I don't see how Evans and Becerra would be in the same conversation.

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:38 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:I asked bc Evans mostly impressed in his brief ML audition both at the plate and also showed versatility and looked pretty smooth in the field.

I don't see how Evans and Becerra would be in the same conversation.


I think you're very much blinded by your Evans-like in thinking he made some sort of great impression. It was 38 plate appearances. It included a bunch of singles, some walks, too many Ks. 28% soft, 36% medium, 36% hard so not like the batted ball profile suggested he was unlucky. It was fine.

Maybe they carry him, but there's no way they carry him, Reynolds and Cecchini on same roster. Maybe they cut the cord on the former 1st rounder, and the guy they've made their 1st AAA callup for whatever reason the last 2 years...but Evans wasn't even going to be recalled until injuries hit, and he was headed to milb FA.

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:18 pm

Still Dunn.

I'm a believer.

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Still would like Oswalt on the list.

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Cecchini, Holderman and Oswalt (in that order). Please hold off nominations until at least the next poll so I can keep track. Thanks.

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Metro2007 wrote:Cecchini, Holderman and Oswalt (in that order). Please hold off nominations until at least the next poll so I can keep track. Thanks.


Thanks!

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:56 pm

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:I asked bc Evans mostly impressed in his brief ML audition both at the plate and also showed versatility and looked pretty smooth in the field.

I don't see how Evans and Becerra would be in the same conversation.


I think you're very much blinded by your Evans-like in thinking he made some sort of great impression. It was 38 plate appearances. It included a bunch of singles, some walks, too many Ks. 28% soft, 36% medium, 36% hard so not like the batted ball profile suggested he was unlucky. It was fine.

Maybe they carry him, but there's no way they carry him, Reynolds and Cecchini on same roster. Maybe they cut the cord on the former 1st rounder, and the guy they've made their 1st AAA callup for whatever reason the last 2 years...but Evans wasn't even going to be recalled until injuries hit, and he was headed to milb FA.

[facepalm] the 38 PA stat-scouting (which btw was fine). Come on. Yes, it would come as a surprise if they remove Evans from the roster at this point. Are surprises sort of par for the course in Queens? Yeah kinda, so nothing is impossible. As to the team not carrying all 3 - Evans, Cheech & Reynolds - I would agree. I have Reynolds as a casualty. I can't imagine any analysis that concludes that Reynolds is worth keeping at this point... and that would be especially so if they plan to add Guillorme.

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Uriarte sounds more interesting to me than Vientos. Surprised we've missed him.
He was a top 20 for BA last year in the DSL/VSL. Here's what they said then:

Last year, the Mets brought over Ali Sanchez, a Venezuelan catcher with advanced catch-and-throw skills and a contact-oriented bat who caught scouts’ attention in the GCL. They should have another quality catching prospect making his way to the United States this year in Uriarte, whom the Mets signed from the Mexico City Red Devils shortly after July 2 in 2014. Uriarte isn’t quite as refined with his receiving as Sanchez, but he has a plus arm and projects to stay behind the plate. While he’s not a pure hitter, he has a good combination of plate discipline and power for a catcher. He controls the strike zone and uses the middle of the field, though he can get too pull-minded. He’s strong and takes an aggressive swing, hitting the ball with good exit speed off the bat and a chance for 15-plus home runs in his prime.


So you have a guy who projects as a decent defensive catcher, with pop, who put up some nice numbers this year in the APPY, with 5 HR, and threw out 14 of 42 runners.

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:14 pm

acerimusdux wrote:Uriarte sounds more interesting to me than Vientos. Surprised we've missed him.
He was a top 20 for BA last year in the DSL/VSL. Here's what they said then:

Last year, the Mets brought over Ali Sanchez, a Venezuelan catcher with advanced catch-and-throw skills and a contact-oriented bat who caught scouts’ attention in the GCL. They should have another quality catching prospect making his way to the United States this year in Uriarte, whom the Mets signed from the Mexico City Red Devils shortly after July 2 in 2014. Uriarte isn’t quite as refined with his receiving as Sanchez, but he has a plus arm and projects to stay behind the plate. While he’s not a pure hitter, he has a good combination of plate discipline and power for a catcher. He controls the strike zone and uses the middle of the field, though he can get too pull-minded. He’s strong and takes an aggressive swing, hitting the ball with good exit speed off the bat and a chance for 15-plus home runs in his prime.


So you have a guy who projects as a decent defensive catcher, with pop, who put up some nice numbers this year in the APPY, with 5 HR, and threw out 14 of 42 runners.

I don't think he was missed. I have him in the mid teens. He'll be nominated shortly.
Post a reply