Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:22 am

Phil Evans (Util)
No votes
Tyler Bashlor (RHP)
14%
Anthony Kay (LHP)
No votes
Chris Flexen (RHP)
No votes
Tomas Nido (C)
14%
Jordan Humphreys (RHP)
No votes
Justin Dunn (RHP)
5%
Thomas Szapucki (LHP)
45%
Desmond Lindsay (OF)
9%
Luis Guillorme (SS)
14%

Total votes : 22

Re: Who is #5?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:52 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:Oh it's almost certainly a bottom 5 system now.

I'd like to hear the names of a few teams with worse systems than us cause I'm thinking we might be in the bottom 2 or 3 with a shot for worst overall.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:01 pm

From BA's Appy League prospect chat:

Dave (Queens, NY): Where would Mark Vientos have ranked, and can he stick at short? Our system is depleted, so tell us we have someone special in him, please.

Justin Perline: My notes on Vientos are pretty limited (mostly echoing his pre-draft outlook) but I did want to use this question to provide some quick hits on a few other Kingsport players who had some traction. The starting SS Hansel Moreno is a 55 runner with a 55 arm who could grow into more power as he fills out his 6-foot-4 frame. CF Anthony Dirocie has a bunch of tools that could play as major league average or above, but is lacking in his approach and overall hit tool. LF/RF Wagner LaGrange has similar issues as Dirocie but is limited to the corners because he gets poor reads and has just average speed. 3B Rigoberto Terrazas tore the cover off the ball as a switch-hitter with an above average plan at the plate. He doesn’t have flashy tools but could back up a few infield positions and sneak up on a major-league job. As one manager described him, “You don’t know he’s there, but he’s there.” Lastly, RHP Christian James has a sinking fastball from 90-93 mph that he pairs with a nice slider and a developing changeup as a consistent starter.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... CKvYQM6.99

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:12 pm

LTKfRGM wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:Oh it's almost certainly a bottom 5 system now.

I'd like to hear the names of a few teams with worse systems than us cause I'm thinking we might be in the bottom 2 or 3 with a shot for worst overall.

The Fish and the O's would prob give the Mets a good run for their money. But the O's do have Austin Hays so they are arguably ahead of us. And then the Royals, M's & Giants can be tossed into the mix as well.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Metro2007 wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:I went Lindsay but I'm going to go Guillorme soon.

I'd like to nominate Cecchini. I think people are lower on him than they should be.

The Mets are clearly quite low on Cecchini. Nomination noted but THEY played Reynolds and Evans over Cecchini and at times talked up wanting to see both, no such comments for Cecchini.

BA dropped Cecchini from their own top 10 in July

1. Amed Rosario, SS
2. Dominic Smith, 1B
3. David Peterson, LHP
4. Justin Dunn, RHP
5. Andres Gimenez, SS
6. Tomas Nido, C
7. Thomas Szapucki, LHP
8. Brandon Nimmo, OF
9. Merandy Gonzalez, RHP
10. Chris Flexen, RHP

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2 ... LZFSjvL.99

3 in that top 10 list have graduated and 1 was traded, so that top 10 is now a top 6. Effectively BA might still have him in their top 10 right now.

Also, on playing Evans/Reynolds. Terry clearly likes vets and he played them over kids a lot in the final month. Reynolds is 26, Cecchini is 23 and Reynolds can play SS and 3rd and OF, Cecchini is more limited to 2nd because of his arm and throwing problems. It shouldn't be a big surprise that Reynolds got more playing time.

Evans (24) is a different matter entirely. Evans was called up and on the roster on Sept 8. He didn't get a start until Sept 17. He looked better than expected so he earned his starts, but his first 9 days on the team he was mostly used as a pinch hitter. Sept 17 to Oct 1, Evans was given 6 starts, largely cause his bat and glove looked OK and he earned them.

Cecchini got over twice the plate appearances as Evans, largely cause he was up a lot earlier, and played a lot more over the first half of September. But he got only 3 starts Sept 1 to Oct 2, when Evans got 6. I don't think that's enough variation to say the mets like Evans better.

Bottom line on Evans, he looked better than expected and the mets have a decision to make on whether to release him or not. It made sense for them to look at him. They likely won't have any such decision to make on Cecchini. I don't think playing Evans 6 starts to Cecchini's 3 over the last 2 weeks of the season means much.

I was also impressed with Cecchini's glove at 2nd. He's got good hands and quick reflexes. He's got a lot of work to do on his bat though.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:30 pm

Mike Mayer's top 10 and comments on the farm. I like the bold inclusion of Mauricio in the top 10. I'm tempted to put him in the top 15 even though hes not taking a minor league game swing yet. And I feel kinda dirty just saying that.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2017/10/me ... uate.html/

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:34 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:[facepalm] the 38 PA stat-scouting (which btw was fine). Come on. Yes, it would come as a surprise if they remove Evans from the roster at this point. Are surprises sort of par for the course in Queens? Yeah kinda, so nothing is impossible. As to the team not carrying all 3 - Evans, Cheech & Reynolds - I would agree. I have Reynolds as a casualty. I can't imagine any analysis that concludes that Reynolds is worth keeping at this point... and that would be especially so if they plan to add Guillorme.

On one hand you say that Evans changed their minds from letting him reach minor league FA to carry him on 40 man roster here-forward because he was impressive in September (which was 38 PA).

Then you "facepalm" citing anything related to 38 PA.

I don't get how you can have it both ways. Either its a completely insignificant sample, or it was eye-opening to change their opinions wholesale on a guy. Which was it?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:48 pm

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:[facepalm] the 38 PA stat-scouting (which btw was fine). Come on. Yes, it would come as a surprise if they remove Evans from the roster at this point. Are surprises sort of par for the course in Queens? Yeah kinda, so nothing is impossible. As to the team not carrying all 3 - Evans, Cheech & Reynolds - I would agree. I have Reynolds as a casualty. I can't imagine any analysis that concludes that Reynolds is worth keeping at this point... and that would be especially so if they plan to add Guillorme.

On one hand you say that Evans changed their minds from letting him reach minor league FA to carry him on 40 man roster here-forward because he was impressive in September (which was 38 PA).

Then you "facepalm" citing anything related to 38 PA.

I don't get how you can have it both ways. Either its a completely insignificant sample, or it was eye-opening to change their opinions wholesale on a guy. Which was it?

I never mentioned anything about minor league free agency.

I'm saying that doing any sort of statistical analysis of 38 PAs is mostly meaningless. I think most who saw him think he made a solid impression on the field. The numbers were fine as well.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:49 pm

LTKfRGM wrote:Mike Mayer's top 10 and comments on the farm. I like the bold inclusion of Mauricio in the top 10. I'm tempted to put him in the top 15 even though hes not taking a minor league game swing yet. And I feel kinda dirty just saying that.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2017/10/me ... uate.html/

Yeah, I'm not afraid to throw Mauricio in with this lot already.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:56 pm

What's so aggressive about Mauricio in the top 10? We had Gimenez pre-debut at 23 in a MUCH better looking system and Rosario debuted at 13 after hitting .241 over 58 games in Kingsport in a system that had Thor, TDA, Montero pre-collapse, Matz, Puello coming off a huge year, Smith, Plawecki, Nimmo, Dilson, Fulmer, Cecchini, DeGrom, Familia etc

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Yeah including Mauricio in the Top 10 isn't bold. It's more of a cop-out, honestly. It's saying, "I haven't seen this guy play but reports are that he has upside and I don't want to take a strong stance on a marginal prospect higher in the system." Which is understandable. But not bold.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Even milb.com has Mauricio at 19 and that's with curious placements of Urena, Becerra (12? LOL) ahead of him + similar ??? Carpio and Guerrero

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Metro2007 wrote:Even milb.com has Mauricio at 19 and that's with curious placements of Urena, Becerra (12? LOL) ahead of him + similar ??? Carpio and Guerrero

My feeling is that you err on the side of caution. Take 1.5 million dollar signee Greg Guerrero. If he didn't sign for 1.5 million, we would barely know who he was. He might get honorable mention in a BA chat and end up in the 30s.

Mauricio has lofty upside, but I think 19 is about right. I might have him a few spots earlier, but until he plays there's about where I'd put him.

MLB.com is obviously very slow to update their lists. Becerra shouldn't be 12. They probably have Carpio too high based on past reports too.

There's no right answer and if people want to put Mauricio in the top 10, feel free. I'm just not comfortable ranking a guy who hasn't played yet that high. I'm not even comfortable putting a guy with just DSL experience that high.
Post a reply