Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:28 am

Josh Edgin has elected free agency

Re: Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:56 am

Like Ruben Tejada, I predict Josh Edgin spends the remainder of his career, when people bother questioning whether or not he should be a big leaguer, not being a big leaguer.

Being put on the Mets 40 man roster is basically the equivalent of receiving tenure - stinks for those guys when they finally move on and they actually have their MLB-ness questioned a bit. Looking at you, Erik Goeddel and Matt Reynolds.

Re: Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:44 am

Goeddel, Reynolds, and I'll throw Smoker and Robles on to the list of pitchers I wish the Mets would divest themselves of

Re: Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Steve The Original wrote:Goeddel, Reynolds, and I'll throw Smoker and Robles on to the list of pitchers I wish the Mets would divest themselves of


Even though at one point I really thought Montero was becoming serviceable, his dismal showing in the last few games makes me feel he should be added to your list. The ONLY one I would consider keeping in that group is Smoker because (1) he is a southpaw, (2) he throws hard and most importantly, (3) he actually looked pretty good after the ASB.

Re: Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Oh yeah...Montero too. Still not sure about Smoker. I don't think I can let one good month which happens to be the worst month to judge talent give him a pass for the previous months where he pitched lousy. I think he's mediocre at best

Re: Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:38 pm

Did Montero ever spend 20 days consecutively in the minors? If not, believe he still has an option, which almost CERTAINLY spares his spot this winter despite, again, him showing he's just not any good (for the 4th straight season).

Re: Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:54 pm

MarkJohnson>You wrote:Did Montero ever spend 20 days consecutively in the minors? If not, believe he still has an option, which almost CERTAINLY spares his spot this winter despite, again, him showing he's just not any good (for the 4th straight season).


HK pointed out that it's 20 days total, not 20 consecutive. I've not had any luck verifying that. TPG says Montero's used an option so he might not have anymore.

He's a tough one. The mets need starting pitchers but he's pretty fringy if he's out of options. On the plus side, he might not object to taking a 15 day DL whenever the mets need to make a roster move, so maybe they could work it out.

Re: Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:56 pm

I just want to say on Edgin, pre-injury, he was a fun lefty pitcher. He kind of reminds me of Matz, a relief pitcher, less exciting version but he was a legit major leaguer before the injuries slowed him down.

Re: Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 pm

He'll be back by June.


8)

Re: Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:05 pm

LTKfRGM wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:Did Montero ever spend 20 days consecutively in the minors? If not, believe he still has an option, which almost CERTAINLY spares his spot this winter despite, again, him showing he's just not any good (for the 4th straight season).


HK pointed out that it's 20 days total, not 20 consecutive. I've not had any luck verifying that. TPG says Montero's used an option so he might not have anymore.

He's a tough one. The mets need starting pitchers but he's pretty fringy if he's out of options. On the plus side, he might not object to taking a 15 day DL whenever the mets need to make a roster move, so maybe they could work it out.

Not to mention that I believe he was already one of those rare 4th option year cases bc his 2015 was a near wipe out iirc.

I think he'll almost certainly be thrown into a trade.

Re: Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 pm

HeyNowHK wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:Did Montero ever spend 20 days consecutively in the minors? If not, believe he still has an option, which almost CERTAINLY spares his spot this winter despite, again, him showing he's just not any good (for the 4th straight season).


HK pointed out that it's 20 days total, not 20 consecutive. I've not had any luck verifying that. TPG says Montero's used an option so he might not have anymore.

He's a tough one. The mets need starting pitchers but he's pretty fringy if he's out of options. On the plus side, he might not object to taking a 15 day DL whenever the mets need to make a roster move, so maybe they could work it out.

Not to mention that I believe he was already one of those rare 4th option year cases bc his 2015 was a near wipe out iirc.

I think he'll almost certainly be thrown into a trade.


He wasn’t a 4th yr IIRC- they rescinded his optional assignment in 2015 after he claimed he was injured and instead he spent the year on the major league DL.

Kinda like that trick Puello tried to play. Then we cut him anyway.

Re: Happy Trails, Josh Edgin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:33 pm

LTKfRGM wrote:I just want to say on Edgin, pre-injury, he was a fun lefty pitcher. He kind of reminds me of Matz, a relief pitcher, less exciting version but he was a legit major leaguer before the injuries slowed him down.


Good luck to him in his career but I can’t say I have the same memories of Edgin. Had a nice 2014 but other than that IMHO was pretty much below average. But I’m getting old so my memory isn’t what it was
Post a reply