MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 2018 "What Would YOU Do" Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:22 pm 
NYFS Hall of Famer

]
northway wrote:
SNESandMets wrote:
I'm almost 100% convinced we get Kipnis this week. Talented Cleveland second baseman who might be declining...it happens once a decade!

I find your truth depressing.
Moreover, it was never made clear how Urshela leapfrogged Yandy Diaz and made it onto the playoff roster (over Diaz).

Anyway I want no part of Kipnis. And I would be surprised if he lands here.
[/quote]

Ursula was the better glove.

They had a staff that struck out the most guys and was high in groundball rate. Indians figured to have good to great middle infield defense, (Ramirez went to 2B) ...Plus all of this kinda happened towards their hot streak. Kipnis move to CF coincided with Zimmer's injury so they went to Kipnis in the OF, And he was decent enough.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 pm 
Blue Chipper

Ralf wrote:
Mark Feinsand ✔ @Feinsand
BREAKING: Carlos Beltran has announced his retirement.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

One of the greatest Mets ever...and we really didn't deserve him. The backlash against him to this very day is baffling.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Mogriffjr wrote:
]

Ursula was the better glove.

They had a staff that struck out the most guys and was high in groundball rate. Indians figured to have good to great middle infield defense, (Ramirez went to 2B) ...Plus all of this kinda happened towards their hot streak. Kipnis move to CF coincided with Zimmer's injury so they went to Kipnis in the OF, And he was decent enough.

They had options for CF (Almonte, Austin Jax) so it was kinda weird that they moved Kipnis out there. I think the original reason for his OF move was to accommodate Yandy who had played well after coming up. He may have tailed off in September and that's why he was left off the playoff roster but Urshela just benefitted by default I think. I don't think he ever earned the playing time. The irony is that they went with him bc of his defensive rep and ended up making a few misplays in the field.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:34 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Doesn't have a huge sample, but Urshela's defensive stats appear to indicate he's an OK glove, nothing special. And he had a 44 wRC+. It was just very odd that you'd move Kipnis and Jose Ramirez are the diamond for that, unless again, there's some indication Kipnis can't play 2B anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:40 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
I'd rather roll the dice on young talent and hope it works than overcommit to veterans I know will be reliably mediocre.

8)

Somewhere in between is probably the way to go.
Rosario, Dom, Nimmo and even Conforto are youngsters in various degrees. That is a lot of players in pretty offensive minded positions. Need some solid reliable vets to back them up and play along side them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm 
NYFS Staff

Azmetaholic wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:
I'd rather roll the dice on young talent and hope it works than overcommit to veterans I know will be reliably mediocre.

8)

Somewhere in between is probably the way to go.
Rosario, Dom, Nimmo and even Conforto are youngsters in various degrees. That is a lot of players in pretty offensive minded positions. Need some solid reliable vets to back them up and play along side them.

Agree about the backup, which I think Wilmer and Cabrera do.

OF is tough because with a limited payroll, that is money away from pen, second and possibly a starter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Bored. New try.

Sign Mark Reynolds for 1yr/$6m with option based on PA
Sign Jose Reyes for 1yr/$3m
Sign Jhoulys Chacin for 2yr/$14m ($4m in 2018 and $10m in 2019)
Sign Jake McGee for 3yr/$24m
Trade Harvey ($5.9m), Lagares ($6m), Gsellman ($550k), Robles ($1m) and Cheech ($550k) for Adam Jones ($17.33m) and Darren O'Day ($9m)

Thats $33.33m added

Pray for health with starters

deGrom
Noah
Matz
Chacin
Wheeler

Familia
Ramos
O'Day
Blevins
McGee
Sewald
Lugo

TdA/Plaw C
Domo/Reynolds/Flores 1B
Cabrera/Flores/Reyes 2B
Rosario/Reyes SS
Cabrera/Reynolds/Flores/Wright 3B
Cespedes/Nimmo LF
Jones/Nimmo CF
Conforto/Nimmo RF

Wheeler, Familia and Dunn for Welker and Shaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Kipnis is overpaid, but he can play infield and OF and he's a lefty bat. I don't hate it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:00 pm 
Manager

I don't know if Kipnis can really 'play' outfield as much as he can stand out there. Teams will be running on him like crazy if they put him in the outfield.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 am 
Rookie

We're entering the 8 offseason with Sandy at the helm, so I totally get (and share) much of the cynicism over the gap between rumored/like-to-see moves vs. actual moves.

My only reason for not holding on to any hope that something(s) will actually get done this offseason is that for the first time ever in the history of this regime, they are coming off a bad year after two good years. Before, it was either a bad year after a bad year (2011-2014), or the aforementioned two good years. Now, not only have they nearly reached the summit, they are beginning to experience the sensation that the window won't be open indefinitely.

I see a few moves being made, probably in the 'pen and maybe both a 1B/OF type and another Middle Infielder. I am OK with them looking to "get creative," if that means they avoid a long-term disaster with guys like Cain or Arietta. Short-term, higher AAV contracts are easier to swallow if/when they go south. Ideally, they make trades for the next Cain or Arietta, but on this point I am in agreement with the naysayers about the FO's ability to pull a move like this off.

I am also in the "Send Dom to Vegas" camp. He clearly wasn't ready. Lots of young players go through this, (most famously Mickey Mantle) and the good ones use it as a learning experience.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:43 am 
Blue Chipper

I'd really love to get Abreu and Garcia...I'd even consider floating deGrom to get it done.

Get both guys, focus more on hitting, a bit less than pitching and go for it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:49 am 
Franchise Player

SNESandMets wrote:
I'd really love to get Abreu and Garcia...I'd even consider floating deGrom to get it done.

Get both guys, focus more on hitting, a bit less than pitching and go for it.

I like those targets quite a bit, but if you're trading either deGrom or Syndergaard you've gone into rebuild territory.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 47  Next