MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 2018 "What Would YOU Do" Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:52 pm 
Rookie

I think it's pretty sad when guys on this board are more creative than our Front Office.

This is one of most disappointing things about Sandy.

There are sooooo many ways to make this team better but it will be Kinsler and Shaw in about a week, which is fine but we can make big strides to be better if we would just think outside the box.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:15 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HCC wrote:
I think it's pretty sad when guys on this board are more creative than our Front Office.

There are sooooo many ways to make this team better but it will be Kinsler and Shaw in about a week, which is fine but we can make big strides to be better if we would just think outside the box.

It's easy to be creative when the deal is just an idea. What's hard is getting the other team to agree with you that the creative deal benefits both sides. All teams involved want to win the trade. That's why we don't see that many trades.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:30 pm 
Rookie

LTKfRGM wrote:
HCC wrote:

It's easy to be creative when the deal is just an idea. What's hard is getting the other team to agree with you that the creative deal benefits both sides. All teams involved want to win the trade. That's why we don't see that many trades.

Other teams seem to have no problem being creative or thinking outside the box. Sandy has showed us very little, it's just frustrating, when you are dealing with limits on payroll, you have to be think different and not just hope for health.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:06 pm 
MVP

Thinking outside the box while keeping the money in the bank........

BTW: does anyone believe the Wilpons may up the budget just a teeny bit because of Stanton going to the Yankees? In tandem with the Yankees HUGELY increasing their competetive edge and ultimate market value, the Mets market value will diminish unless the team can keep from losing even more market share. Jeff has got to be thinking, "what I will gain from not having to pay the estate tax will be lost by a declining value of the Mets."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:14 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HCC wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

Other teams seem to have no problem being creative or thinking outside the box. Sandy has showed us very little, it's just frustrating, when you are dealing with limits on payroll, you have to be think different and not just hope for health.

Sure if you compare 29 teams to one. But team by team, how many teams have had creative off-seasons so far?

Angels? - cause they got lucky.

Mariners tried to be creative and it cost them prospects. Sure they can spend some of that money on former Brave free agents, but I'd say their creativity backfired.

Yankees - yes, cause Stanton listened them as one of 4 teams and cause they have gobs and gobs of money.

The D-backs claimed Henry Owens, but - I don't buy it. Steve Matz has 5 times the probability of becoming a top lefty bullpen guy than Owens has and the D-backs burned a 40 man roster spot on him. Maybe they have spots to spare, I don't know, even so, I don't see Owens as a good claim unless the plan is to slide him off the 40 later.

The Rangers for telling Minor he could become a starter? Jury's still out, though I do like the Cubs signing of Chatwood. That's a deal I'd have liked to see the Mets make. (Sandy wants bullpen - I want starters). Time will tell which approach is right.

Billy Bean's creativity has hurt him as much as helped him in recent years. Didn't he trade a guy who became MVP for 1/2 his worth?

I don't buy the argument. I think creativity is rare and hard to pull off and I don't think MLB is flush with creative GMs leaving Sandy in the dust with their creativity. Maybe 3-5 teams, maybe, and a lot of those teams have an advantage like a deep farm system or money to burn.

If I'm wrong, name a few examples.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:38 pm 
Rookie

*shrugs*

Trade Matt Harvey - pitching arms who reached A ball or above
Trade Dom Smith, Robert Gsellman and a piece for Merrifield and Herrera
Trade Steven Matz to Milwaukee for Domingo Santana
Trade Juan Lagares to San Francisco for Ty Blach
Sign C.C. Sabathia - 2/$21
Sign Joe Smith - 2/$12
Sign whoever the first baseman left at the alter on March 1st is.
Rule 5 a few arms

Noah Syndergaard
Jacob deGrom
C.C. Sabathia
Zach Wheeler
Seth Lugo
Ty Blach

1B - Wilmer Flores
2B - Whit Merrifield
3B - Asdrubal Cabrera
SS - Amed Rosario
LF - Yoenis Cespedes
CF - Micheal Conforto
RF - Domingo Santana

- Starting pitching stinks, but A) if the Mets are in the race, they'll have David Wright's insurance money (in reality, they won't spend) and at that point, I'd buy an arm and B) we're bullpenning anyway. Herrera, Ramos, Familia, Blevins, Smith. Let's get it.

- I'm most likely taking a ton from the farm, but I added some youth and guys under arb deals in Santana and Merrifield. You worry about third base, but whatever.

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:20 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MetsWhiz93 wrote:
*shrugs*

Trade Matt Harvey - pitching arms who reached A ball or above
Trade Dom Smith, Robert Gsellman and a piece for Merrifield and Herrera
Trade Steven Matz to Milwaukee for Domingo Santana
Trade Juan Lagares to San Francisco for Ty Blach
Sign C.C. Sabathia - 2/$21
Sign Joe Smith - 2/$12
Sign whoever the first baseman left at the alter on March 1st is.
Rule 5 a few arms

Noah Syndergaard
Jacob deGrom
C.C. Sabathia
Zach Wheeler
Seth Lugo
Ty Blach

1B - Wilmer Flores
2B - Whit Merrifield
3B - Asdrubal Cabrera
SS - Amed Rosario
LF - Yoenis Cespedes
CF - Micheal Conforto
RF - Domingo Santana

- Starting pitching stinks, but A) if the Mets are in the race, they'll have David Wright's insurance money (in reality, they won't spend) and at that point, I'd buy an arm and B) we're bullpenning anyway. Herrera, Ramos, Familia, Blevins, Smith. Let's get it.

- I'm most likely taking a ton from the farm, but I added some youth and guys under arb deals in Santana and Merrifield. You worry about third base, but whatever.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me or not, but I asked for real examples of other teams showing this creativity that everyone is always talking about. I don't think it's as common or easy as some people make it out to be.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:28 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Ralf wrote:
Trade Nimmo, Domo, Nido, Cheech and Robles for Yelich and Steckenrider
Sign Carlos Santana 4/72 (15, 19, 19, 19)
Sign Shaw 3/27
Sign McGee 3/21

Thats $38m added for 2018

Do it!

Too much money for the Pons.

Too creative for Sandy

Try again :x

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:32 pm 

Ralf wrote:
Trade Nimmo, Domo, Nido, Cheech and Robles for Yelich and Steckenrider
Sign Carlos Santana 4/72 (15, 19, 19, 19)
Sign Shaw 3/27
Sign McGee 3/21

Thats $38m added for 2018

Do it!

And BTW, while the CS contract is a bit too long/expensive, I'd like that signing and everything else you proposed.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:35 pm 

Yelich would cost Matz, Dom, Peterson and Giminez if not more though, IMO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:37 pm 
Rookie

LTKfRGM wrote:
I'm not sure if this is directed at me or not, but I asked for real examples of other teams showing this creativity that everyone is always talking about. I don't think it's as common or easy as some people make it out to be.

It was not haha. But to answer your question, creativity is really just finding different answers to questions. Seattle has been creative in attempting to fill holes with Gordon in CF, the Haniger deal, all the various deals for pitching. The Yankees have created a superpen with some good deals, but moving Shane Greene for Didi, getting Hicks for Murphy. Those deals. Dodgers snagged Turner/Toles with minor league deals. The Rays/A's also fit teams that make sense to me here.

The larger point is that the Mets seem like a team that is basic. They don't make rule 5 picks (I'd argue they should make two), you never hear them on any interesting free agents, just the top guys (then they reneg and go after retreads or old guys) or trades. You look at their needs and their are better ways to fill them rather than just signing guys, but because they lack any imagination in the FO, they fall short.

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:38 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Daaaarryyl wrote:
Yelich would cost Matz, Peterson, Dom and Giminez if not more though, IMO

That's how you become the Marlins.

8)

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 47  Next