MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 2018 "What Would YOU Do" Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:40 pm 
Rookie

Daaaarryyl wrote:
Yelich would cost Matz, Peterson, Dom and Giminez if not more though, IMO

I don't think so at all. Not for just him. He's clearly talented, but I think you're close if you put Matz in the deal, you don't need two top 125 prospects and a former top 100 guy. Not to mention, I don't think the Marlins are getting top price for any of those guys.

In-division tax withstanding, of course.

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:42 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MetsWhiz93 wrote:

The larger point is that the Mets seem like a team that is basic. They don't make rule 5 picks (I'd argue they should make two), you never hear them on any interesting free agents, just the top guys (then they reneg and go after retreads or old guys) or trades. You look at their needs and their are better ways to fill them rather than just signing guys, but because they lack any imagination in the FO, they fall short.

Matt Purke may not make it out of Spring Training. But the Mets should have signed about 30 guys like that over the last 5 years instead of this unhealthy obsession with fading veterans who fall into our price range.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:44 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

R Nitelight wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:

That's how you become the Marlins.

8)

I don't know how he graded out defensively but Yelich played CF full time this season.

He's 25 and is, IMO, a pretty underrated player, especially if he can legit play CF everyday.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:46 pm 
Rookie

R Nitelight wrote:
MetsWhiz93 wrote:

The larger point is that the Mets seem like a team that is basic. They don't make rule 5 picks (I'd argue they should make two), you never hear them on any interesting free agents, just the top guys (then they reneg and go after retreads or old guys) or trades. You look at their needs and their are better ways to fill them rather than just signing guys, but because they lack any imagination in the FO, they fall short.

Matt Purke may not make it out of Spring Training. But the Mets should have signed about 30 guys like that over the last 5 years instead of this unhealthy obsession with fading veterans who fall into our price range.

8)

100% agree. Biggest mistake of the rebuilding phase is that they never truly bottomed out and missed out on some of that high-level talent at the top of the draft and the that hey never became agressive on any guys within the age 24-28 who might've had some upside and could've been something. Outside of like Marlon Byrd's best/last good 400 PAs.

Bring back the black jerseys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:57 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Daaaarryyl wrote:

I don't know how he graded out defensively but Yelich played CF full time this season.

He's 25 and is, IMO, a pretty underrated player, especially if he can legit play CF everyday.

Ship out all your high upside young talent to get him, then surround him with affordable veterans and what have you got?

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:59 pm 

R Nitelight wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:

That's how you become the Marlins.

8)

Come to think of it, this post makes more sense if you swapped the sarcasm for realism.

Yes, trading an All-Star for unproven prospects makes you...

Wait for it...

The Marlins :D

Great point. And I hope my team benefit's from it!!!!!!!

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:04 pm 

R Nitelight wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:

Ship out all your high upside young talent to get him, then surround him with affordable veterans and what have you got?

8)

RF CONFORTO L
1B SANTANA S
CF YELICH L
LF CESPEDES R
3B CABRERA S
2B FLORES R
SS ROSARIO R
CA TDA/PLAW R

NOAH R
DEGROM R
WHEELER/LUGO R
GSELLMAN/FA R
HARVEY R
-------
FAMILIA R
REED R
SHAW R
BLEVINS L

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:05 pm 

Not the 1927 Yankees, but on our budget and in our division, I think we can make the playoffs where you have to be in it to win it........

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:24 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Santana, Reed, And Shaw.

That could happen.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:34 pm 

R Nitelight wrote:
Santana, Reed, And Shaw.

That could happen.

8)

Admittedly, I was optimistic that the Stanton deal would push them to open the wallet a bit more then they had been planning...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:31 pm 

Trade for Prado.
Sign Chacin (2/18).
One of Gsellman or Lugo to pen.

Nimmo/Lagares CF
Cespedes LF
Conforto RF
Domo/Flores 1B
Cabrera/Flores/Reyes 2B
Rosario SS
Prado/Wright 3B
TdA/Plawecki C

Noah
deGrom
Matz
Chacin
Wheeler

Familia
Blevins
Roadhouse
Ramos
Lugo
Sewald
Other Guy

83-79

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:39 pm 
Franchise Player

Ralf wrote:
The only rule is you must stay within Wilpon payroll constraints. This appears to be somewhere between $135-140m according to multiple reports. NO GOING OVER.

Here's a refreshed try with the hope of distracting from all the negativity around here (no matter how warranted). Baseball reference says we're at $127.7M right now: https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... acts.shtml

Already done:
- Non-tendered Aoki and Milone saving $8.5M.
- Picked up options on Cabrera and Blevins.
- Signed Anthony Swarzak to 2 year, $14M deal.

Still to do:
- Sign Lorenzo Cain for 3 years, $40M ($12M in 2018).
- Trade Cheech, Dunn, and Gsellman for Whit Merrifield. ($wash)
- Trade Monty for Profar ($wash).
- Sign Tony Watson for 2 years, $14M.

That gets me to $146.7M, and I'm giving myself a break for going over the cap, thinking I make it up in Wright insurance. The result:

Lineup
1. Cain CF
2. Merrifield 2B
3. Conforto RF (Nimmo/Lagares if he's not healthy)
4. Cespedes LF
5. Cabrera 3B
6. Smith 1B (Flores vs. lefties)
7. Rosario SS
8. d'Arnaud C

Bench
Nimmo OF
Lagares OF
Profar IF
Flores IF
Plawecki C

Rotation
deGrom
Syndergaard
Matz
Harvey
Wheeler/Lugo

Bullpen
Familia
Ramos
Blevins
Swarzak
Watson
Robles/Sewald/Callahan/Rhame/Bradford
Lugo/Wheeler

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 47  Next