Switch to full style
Discuss the Mets and their minor leaguers.
Post a reply

Expansion could trigger realignment

Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:12 pm

One proposal would be to geographically restructure into four divisions, which would create a major reduction in travel, particularly for teams on the East Coast and West Coast, and add to the natural rivalries by not just having them as interleague attractions, but rather a part of the regular divisional battles.

Consider four eight-team divisions with the addition of teams in Portland and Montreal:

East: Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Miami, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington.

North: Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, Montreal, both New York franchises and Toronto.

Midwest: Both Chicago franchises, Colorado, Houston, Kansas City, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Texas.

West: Anaheim, Arizona, Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/columnis ... Bl7D4GT.99

Bye bye any dream of playoffs with the Sox, Yankees, Tigers with the Mets:(

Re: Expansion could trigger realignment

Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:35 pm

That’s still all over the place geographically as they force rvalries together.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:50 pm

Fun topic. Maybe Charlotte and Montreal are the targets. Split could go like this:
NL East: Mets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
NL: Central: Reds, Cubs, Brewers, Cardinals
NL: South: Miami, ATL, Tampa Bay, Charlotte
NL West: LA, SD, AZ, SF

AL East: Yanks, BoSox, Baltimore, Montreal
NL: Central: CWS, Detroit, Cleveland, Toronto
NL: South: Texas, Houston, Kansas City, Minny
NL West: Oak, LAA, Sea, Colorado

Tampa Bay and Colorado switch leagues. Minnesota in the AL South makes little sense, but Atlanta was an NL west team from 1969 to 1994. Four divisional winners, plus one wildcard from each league in the PS. It will never happen, I know.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Metro2007 wrote:One proposal would be to geographically restructure into four divisions, which would create a major reduction in travel, particularly for teams on the East Coast and West Coast, and add to the natural rivalries by not just having them as interleague attractions, but rather a part of the regular divisional battles.

Consider four eight-team divisions with the addition of teams in Portland and Montreal:

East: Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Miami, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington.

North: Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, Montreal, both New York franchises and Toronto.

Midwest: Both Chicago franchises, Colorado, Houston, Kansas City, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Texas.

West: Anaheim, Arizona, Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/columnis ... Bl7D4GT.99

Bye bye any dream of playoffs with the Sox, Yankees, Tigers with the Mets:(

The division really doesn't make much sense with Minnesota, Detroit, and Cleveland in the Mets division. If they are going to realign, the Mets division should be:

Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Orioles, Montreal, Toronto, and the Nationals

Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:58 pm

#NeverSeeingThePlayoffsAgain

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Wow, so 4 division winners, 8 wild card teams. Yikes. It would keep teams in the race longer.

A division winner would still need to win 3 series, against the WC, then the division runoff and then the WS.

I don't worry about stuff like this until it happens. Is there even a timeline to add two teams? Probably several years away.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:05 pm

That would be too much like an NHL playoffs for my liking. And I say this AS an NHL fan who loves the Stanley Cup playoffs. But this seems like a cookie-cutter version of what the NHL is now. Just have eight four-team divisions, eight division winners and four WC's the way you do now. Why reinvent the wheel?

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:10 pm

AllWrightNow wrote:That would be too much like an NHL playoffs for my liking. And I say this AS an NHL fan who loves the Stanley Cup playoffs. But this seems like a cookie-cutter version of what the NHL is now. Just have eight four-team divisions, eight division winners and four WC's the way you do now. Why reinvent the wheel?

Probably because I don't think Baseball can be played in December :lol:

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Here's an easy 8/4 format I came up with on the fly - it's probably doable, if you ignore the inherent issue of Colorado or Arizona switching leagues (though Colorado in the AL with the DH might be worth some lolz), the fact Tampa might cease to exist without the NYY/Boston 'home' games, and assume Charlotte and Montreal are the expansion teams:

AL:
AL East - Yankees, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore
AL North - Cleveland, ChiSox, Detroit, Minnesota
AL South - Houston, Texas, Tampa Bay, Kansas City
AL West - Oakland, Seattle, Anaheim, Colorado/Arizona

NL:
NL East - Mets, Montreal, Phillies, Pittsburgh
NL North - ChiCubs, Cincinatti, Milwaukee, St. Louis
NL South - Atlanta, Charlotte, Florida, Washington
NL West - San Fran, LA Dodgers, San Diego, Arizona/Colorado

They probably want to go 4/8 in part to avoid the risk of a 75-win division champion in that format but there's always been that risk as far back as 1994 when there could have been a significantly under .500 AL West winner.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Charlotte is not ready to be an expansion team. If needed I can go through my whole thing I post on Baseball Fever every time this is brought up.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:31 pm

The problem with 8 divisions is that it messes up the wildcard.

Football has 8 divisions and they give a bi-week to the top two teams, and work the wildcard in that way, but I can't see baseball doing that. That would be too strange.

4 divisions or 6 divisions, they can work in the wildcard. 8 divisions it gets clunky.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Let me go on record as stating that I hate this. I hate removing the AL/NL. I hate the DH, I don't like interleague either. Hate the juiced ball.

Might be time for a 90s style hiatus from the game.
Post a reply