MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:37 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11661
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
AllWrightNow wrote:
Before 2016 it probably would have been Sandy, but Cashman's done such a masterful job putting this current group of young talent together that can't be ignored. Sandy hasn't had a team like that since the late '80's A's.


If Cashman was the mets GM, I don't think the Wilpons would have let him acquire Chapman and they might not have agreed to trade Andrew Miller in the first year of his contract either.

If the question is owners, Hank Steinbaby vs Fred/Jeff, I don't think anyone would choose Fred/Jeff.

_________________
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara

I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018). I know an underdog when I see one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Manager

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:36 pm
Posts: 6504
LTKfRGM wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
Before 2016 it probably would have been Sandy, but Cashman's done such a masterful job putting this current group of young talent together that can't be ignored. Sandy hasn't had a team like that since the late '80's A's.


If Cashman was the mets GM, I don't think the Wilpons would have let him acquire Chapman and they might not have agreed to trade Andrew Miller in the first year of his contract either.

If the question is owners, Hank Steinbaby vs Fred/Jeff, I don't think anyone would choose Fred/Jeff.


Well first of all the issue with Fred/Jeff would be more signing Miller in the first place rather than trading him early in a new deal. And Fred/Jeff DID bring Reyes back, that wasn't that much different than bringing in Chapman PR-wise, just in terms of money.

Even without Chapman and Miller, Cashman's drafted great and made a number of good under-the-radar trades. He got Didi for nothing, Hicks for nothing, Castro (not that he's great) for a pitcher he got back months later, etc.

And I'm not of the school that if you gave Sandy a luxury tax budget he'd be a genius either or that all of his ills are caused by Jeffy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:15 am 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 11661
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
AllWrightNow wrote:

Well first of all the issue with Fred/Jeff would be more signing Miller in the first place rather than trading him early in a new deal. And Fred/Jeff DID bring Reyes back, that wasn't that much different than bringing in Chapman PR-wise, just in terms of money.

Even without Chapman and Miller, Cashman's drafted great and made a number of good under-the-radar trades. He got Didi for nothing, Hicks for nothing, Castro (not that he's great) for a pitcher he got back months later, etc.

And I'm not of the school that if you gave Sandy a luxury tax budget he'd be a genius either or that all of his ills are caused by Jeffy.


You make a strong point, and perhaps Cashy would have sold a Matz or Wheeler or Gsellman or Lugo to prop up the team in other areas and he probably wouldn't have gone a couple seasons with Wilmer & TJ - who are too similar. . . . fair enough. Cashman is more daring. I'll give him points for that.

_________________
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara

I've always loved a good underdog story. Go Mets (2018). I know an underdog when I see one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:03 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8279
AllWrightNow wrote:
Before 2016 it probably would have been Sandy, but Cashman's done such a masterful job putting this current group of young talent together that can't be ignored.


YUP


Consider that the top prospects he acquired in the sell-offs last year didn't even contribute to the team that nearly reached the WS :shock: :shock: :shock:

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:30 pm 
Offline
Fan Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 am
Posts: 1733
Daaaarryyl wrote:
AllWrightNow wrote:
Before 2016 it probably would have been Sandy, but Cashman's done such a masterful job putting this current group of young talent together that can't be ignored.


YUP


Consider that the top prospects he acquired in the sell-offs last year didn't even contribute to the team that nearly reached the WS :shock: :shock: :shock:


No but those prospects will help him land Stanton. The Yanks always seem to find themselves in lucky situations. When it's time for them to trade it's a traders market, when it's the Mets time to trade it's a buyers market. Jeter is now owner of the Marlins so guess where Stanton will end up. I'm predicting it now. Stanton is a Yankee next year......and so is Otani. The Mets picked the worse year to stink and the Yanks picked the perfect year to turn things around.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:48 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59192
Ruh roh, Gabe Kapler looks like he's going to bring his Gabe Kapler powers to Philly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:30 am 
User avatar
Offline
Fan Favorite

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 1695
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
I'd say its the Phillies. All of there hot prospects are busts at this point


Rhys Hoskins, how do you do!?

Thats just one. I'm not even sure which prospects you're referencing, to be honest. This looks like a bad take.

Their lineup - around the diamond: Alfaro, Hoskins, Hernandez, Galvis, Crawford, Altherr, Herrera, Williams - looks pretty good. And they have a lot of money to spend as none of those guys cost anything.

.


OK - you got me - I just hate the Phillies :)

but Maikel Franco was supposed to take the next step and didn't
also in games I watched, I wasn't too impressed with the Crawford.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:55 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 59192
MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
I'd say its the Phillies. All of there hot prospects are busts at this point


Rhys Hoskins, how do you do!?

Thats just one. I'm not even sure which prospects you're referencing, to be honest. This looks like a bad take.

Their lineup - around the diamond: Alfaro, Hoskins, Hernandez, Galvis, Crawford, Altherr, Herrera, Williams - looks pretty good. And they have a lot of money to spend as none of those guys cost anything.

.


OK - you got me - I just hate the Phillies :)

but Maikel Franco was supposed to take the next step and didn't
also in games I watched, I wasn't too impressed with the Crawford.


Maikel Franco has had a downward trajectory since about 2014, and I don't really consider him a "prospect". I don't think he factors much into their future. Crawford essentially replaced him when he came up. Whether they move forward with Galvis - who's "fine" but certainly no stud - or invest in 3B and shift Crawford back to SS, we'll see.

Speaking of, Crawford was basically equivalent to Rosario in AAA this year and a bit better in the majors.

I don't get how that would overtake all of the actually really good debuts or growth they had from their youngsters this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:02 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:16 pm
Posts: 12281
Here's a pretty good article about J.P. Crawford from Fangraphs:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/projecting-j-p-crawford/

Quote:
Prior to his call up, Crawford hit .243/.351/.405 in Triple-A this year, including a powerful .284/.385/.517 since July 8th.


Not for anything he had a whopping 70 AB's in September. Not exactly how anyone can judge him from from those numbers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:57 am 
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 am
Posts: 676
Moving away from the disaster on the Capitol Limited, here's the latest on the wreck along the Seaboard Coast Line:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/ ... prado.html

On paper, Dee Gordon looks like a great fit here. I am not so certain that all of us will have nothing but contempt for him about 75 games into 2018. I'd take him over Walker, or any of the Mets in-house options right now (although I remain intrigued by Guillorme).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:18 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 23737
Location: Pittsburgh
Disco Ball wrote:
Moving away from the disaster on the Capitol Limited, here's the latest on the wreck along the Seaboard Coast Line:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/ ... prado.html

On paper, Dee Gordon looks like a great fit here. I am not so certain that all of us will have nothing but contempt for him about 75 games into 2018. I'd take him over Walker, or any of the Mets in-house options right now (although I remain intrigued by Guillorme).


I've really come around on Gordon. I used to think he was the useless second coming of Luis Castillo, but he's actually a pretty solid player. If the price was right, I'd be all in. Hell, I'd take Prado too. Don't you love it when Marlins fire sales solve all your problems for you?

_________________
Baseball has a way of ripping your ❤️ out, stabbing it, putting it back in your chest, then healing itself just in time for Spring Training. - Thor


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: There's a "train wreck" team in the NL East...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:49 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 21112
Location: NYC
northway wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:
Moving away from the disaster on the Capitol Limited, here's the latest on the wreck along the Seaboard Coast Line:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/ ... prado.html

On paper, Dee Gordon looks like a great fit here. I am not so certain that all of us will have nothing but contempt for him about 75 games into 2018. I'd take him over Walker, or any of the Mets in-house options right now (although I remain intrigued by Guillorme).


I've really come around on Gordon. I used to think he was the useless second coming of Luis Castillo, but he's actually a pretty solid player. If the price was right, I'd be all in. Hell, I'd take Prado too. Don't you love it when Marlins fire sales solve all your problems for you?

I don't see the Mets having any part of a deal for Dee Gordon.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], egelband2, SNESandMets, tejdog1 and 102 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


SUPPORT NYFS VIA OUR NETWORK OF SITES: FIND AN AA MEETING | FIND A JOB NEAR YOU | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | HOME REPAIR CONTRACTOR BUILDER AC HEAT | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT AND RESOURCES | THE SOULCIALISTS LIVE LOCAL PIANO MUSIC TREASURE COAST | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT NEAR YOU | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GOLF BEACH RESORT HOTELS RESTAURANTS BED BREAKFAST | HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | METRO BUS TRAIN SUBWAY AIRPORT HELIPORT | VETERAN TIPS CRAFT DIY RECIPES | ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS NEAR YOU | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL HEALTHY HEART DIABETIC RESTAURANTS AND STORES | CHURCH TEMPLE MOSQUE OR PLACE OF WORSHIP NEAR YOU | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB | SUICIDE HOTLINE DANIELLE COLBERT PHOTO MUG SHOT | © Untraditional Media

The%20Soulcialists