MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Agents
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:02 pm 
Legend of NYFS

2/15 with a 3rd year option for 8m.

Castillo continues to be weirdly undervalued due to the "framing police", I'm guessing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:04 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Braves claim Chase Whitley. He obviously could have been had in a deal. I think that's a missed opportunity. But we had to keep Matt Harvey at $5M+. I can't wait to see how that's going to work out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I continue to not understand what the Giants are doing wrt Stanton... other than to assume this is about them being pot committed. Surprising that they don't seem to care about the lux tax.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
I continue to not understand what the Giants are doing wrt Stanton... other than to assume this is about them being pot committed. Surprising that they don't seem to care about the lux tax.

The article I read said they do care about the tax. If they add Stanton they'll try to move some salary in another move.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:31 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

The article I read said they do care about the tax. If they add Stanton they'll try to move some salary in another move.

I don't know that they have anyone that's movable, aside from Bumgarner, Crawford and Posey, all of whom they are obviously hanging on to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:53 pm 
Legend of NYFS

If Cots is to be believed:

Giants have $57m in tax space right now. + Stanton, is about + 25 this year, still giving them $33m to play with to account for arbitration and FA signings.

They're arb guys (minus Panik) account for about 10m, mostly consolidated into relievers (Dyson, Strickland, Gearrin, Smith). So $23m left.

They would have needs at 2B, 3B (assuming they don't go with minimum salaried Panda), potentially another SP and bench help. They'll push it.

They also clear $30m off the books with Pence and Span next year, and threshold goes up another $10m, so net $40m in gained space.

I don't think they're in Luxury Tax Hell with Stanton. So as to "what they're doing" - they're acquiring a Superstar at a market rate salary for almost no cost in talent. Seems smart.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:07 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
If Cots is to be believed:

Giants have $57m in tax space right now. + Stanton, is about + 25 this year, still giving them $33m to play with to account for arbitration and FA signings.

They're arb guys (minus Panik) account for about 10m, mostly consolidated into relievers (Dyson, Strickland, Gearrin, Smith). So $23m left.

They would have needs at 2B, 3B (assuming they don't go with minimum salaried Panda), potentially another SP and bench help. They'll push it.

They also clear $30m off the books with Pence and Span next year, and threshold goes up another $10m, so net $40m in gained space.

I don't think they're in Luxury Tax Hell with Stanton. So as to "what they're doing" - they're acquiring a Superstar at a market rate salary for almost no cost in talent. Seems smart.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, it shows they are about $9.5M under right now. Stanton would put them $16M+ over. And they would be a 3rd time offender and that puts the penalty at 50% so add another $8M to what Stanton costs them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... M/pubhtml#

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Have no idea. This is what I just went off of:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1947418443

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:29 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I don't know why yours had all those extra's at the bottom. Estimated player benefits - whats that and that counts toward tax? Thats $14m off the top? They have the arb projections higher than MLBTR, and obviously Panik's $3.5m wouldn't be there if the trade goes through. I dunno. I guess that accounts for our discrepancies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:44 pm 
All Star

A bunch of non-tenders happened today.

Chi Chi Gonzalez, A.J. Griffin, and Drew Smyly (TJS) are all interesting invite candidates.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:51 pm 
All Star

For a team that would have two Superstars and a few above average and a bunch of mediocre guys everywhere else, it's a little strange that the Giants would be so close to the cap. If they need to get rid of vets though maybe they Mets could use this as an opportunity to get Hunter Pence or Brandon Belt. I'm betting the price wouldn't be too crazy on those guys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:59 pm 
All Star

MookieWouldaBeatIt wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Boredom... another swing at this.

HeyNowHK wrote:
I got this:

24. Reed - LAD 3/27M LAD 3/27
26. Holland - MN 3/27M MN 3/33
28. JSmith - CLE 2/15M CLE 2/12
31. McGee - WAS 2/15M WAS 2/15
33. Shaw - NYM 3/21M NYM 3/21
36. Chatwood - NYM 2/15M TEX 3/24
39. Neshek - MIL 2/12M PIT 1/6

Others:

at those prices give me
Chatwood and two of the relievers

I have to agree with that. I think if they get the two relievers, Chatwood and Nunez. The Mets are interesting. Also, if they bring Chatwood into the fold, they can trade Wheeler, Matz or Harvey for a bat. I know Wheeler and Harvey will be a though sell but I wonder if the Mets could make Matz a centerpiece in a deal for McCutchen?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next