MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 268  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 2017-2018 Offseason News Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Ralf wrote:
thebull wrote:
Cain would be a great fit in CF. What kind of contract is he likely to command? 4 for 72?

Omg, that would be a horrendous waste if limited resources. Cain would be lucky to get the Granderson deal.

Frankly, are we even sure Cain can out-play a Lagares/Nimmo platoon?

Yes, but thats also an incredibly low bar to clear.

Right, my point is that Cain is fools gold imo.

I honestly don't care about winning or losing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:37 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
The Mets have approximately $60m in luxury cap space. If we had better owners, I bet you could convince the Marlins to take a lesser prospect package by taking on all of Prado's and Chen's contracts. Thats about $100m of salary relief for them over the next few years.

And why would the Mets take those 2 albatross deals? You might not see *any* teams agree to take that on, let alone the Mets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:38 pm 

HeyNowHK wrote:
Ralf wrote:
The Mets have approximately $60m in luxury cap space. If we had better owners, I bet you could convince the Marlins to take a lesser prospect package by taking on all of Prado's and Chen's contracts. Thats about $100m of salary relief for them over the next few years.

And why would the Mets take those 2 albatross deals? You might not see *any* teams agree to take that on, let alone the Mets.

Sorry, meant to say "lesser prospect package [for Yelich]."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:40 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Ralf wrote:

Sorry, meant to say "lesser prospect package [for Yelich]."

I know what you meant.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:28 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Top 20 FAs remaining and possible destination ...?

JDM - seems like he and the RedSox are doing a slow mating dance. Gonna figure Dombrowski eventually flinches and they get it done at 6/140M
Darvish - at this point I'd say he could go back to the Dodgers for 5/105 backloaded so they stay under the lux tax
Hosmer - Pads still look like fave but price obviously coming down. I'll guess 6/108M
Arrieta - still saying Phils but they've shown willingness to go higher AAV and shorter term so 4/104?
Mous - this looks like the hardest one. the Yankees could even jump in here if the price drops enough. That or re-signing with the Royals are about all I got on that one... so, Royals 4/72M. editing this to throw out the WhiteSox as a possible landing spot for Mous.
Cain - Rangers? 4/68M
Lynn - still going with Braves on a decent 4/48M
Holland - Angels seem like biggest back end of the pen need. 3/42M. Flipping this to Cards on edit.
Cobb - Brewers? 3/42M... which seems like a lot less than he reportedly sought
Bruce - still going Jays and 4/52M
LoMo - another tough one. Royals? 3/36M?
Reed - Cards seem like the other team that can still fill a late inning role. 3/30M? The other half of the closer flip... going west coast and LAA for Reed.
Frazier - Braves. 2/21M
Lucroy - Snakes 2/24M
Gomez - Orioles 2/18M
Walker - Yankees 2/24M
Nunez - ChiSox 2/16M
Dyson - Rays 2/16M
CGonz - A's 1/9M
Duda - Mets 1/10M for a Nitey special... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:21 pm 
NYFS Staff

Ralf wrote:

Let it go. It is what it is.

I was thinking more along the lines of

a Pollock deal...(maybe Ramos, Lagares and TDA for Pollock, Owings)

or Jackie Bradley...(Gsellman, Wilmer for JBJ, Daniel Gonzalez); opens up for JD Martinez.

Or the pipe dream...
Matz, Ramos, Callaghan, Wilmer to Minnesota for Dozier and Buxton (yeah, right)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yes, but thats also an incredibly low bar to clear.

Right, my point is that Cain is fools gold imo.

I think he's likely to return Granderson-esque aggregate value.

I think when all is said and done, the Granderson signing was a net positive, both for the true value he returned and for the role he played on those teams.

But that was a different time. Not that he got paid "a lot" by overall standards, but he basically got what amounts to a max Met contract. For someone who is definitively a complimentary player. The fact that we had a ton of guys coming up - whos contributions would far exceed their cost - made it a good deal at the time. Now, with everyone getting more expensive, no real FA budget to seemingly speak of, and nothing at all coming through the system - ensuring the roster is consistently providing excess value over its cost is the only way to compete with payrolls up to $100m more than ours. And I'm not sure Cain is a guy who will provide excess value.

That being said - I think he's a good player, and we could use good players.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:38 pm 

jdawginsc wrote:
Ralf wrote:

Let it go.

Never.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:41 pm 
Manager

Even if the Mets got bought tomorrow by some oil baron and intended to spend to the cap it would still be a horrendous baseball ops deal to shoot your wad on two hideous deals just to get Christian Yelich (who’s also not making zero). Having money doesn’t mean you have to spend it all like it’s burning a hole in your pocket on the very first thing that comes along.

Put it this way if the Mets by some miracle landed new ownership in the next 24 hours and decided they were going to add $60 million to the payroll I’d much rather spend it on Cain, Hosmer and Greg Holland over taking two bad deals to get Yelich.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:42 pm 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
Ralf wrote:

Let it go. It is what it is.

I was thinking more along the lines of

a Pollock deal...(maybe Ramos, Lagares and TDA for Pollock, Owings)

or Jackie Bradley...(Gsellman, Wilmer for JBJ, Daniel Gonzalez); opens up for JD Martinez.

Or the pipe dream...
Matz, Ramos, Callaghan, Wilmer to Minnesota for Dozier and Buxton (yeah, right)

You also might want to let go these ridiculous trade suggestions... just sayin'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:48 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
You also might want to let go these ridiculous trade suggestions... just sayin'

Most trade proposals appear to be coming out of a random generator with these parameters:

1. Mets give up some combination of: a guy overpaid for their limited role, or not trusted to fill current hole despite technically playing that position (Lagares, Flores, Ramos) in order to clear salary, a guy pushed out of their likely role (Lugo, Gsellman), a guy coming off injured/horrible year (Matz, Harvey, Flexen).

2. Mets get player making low salary who fills one of RP, 2B, 3B or CF hole.

3. Mets also "take on" additional useful player who also makes no/low money.

It appears to be unrealistic. But who knows, Sandy is a trade ninja after all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:54 pm 

I thought the secret Cole to Yankees deal was going to be announced today?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 268  Next